PDA

View Full Version : What 11yr olds like

Jay
01-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Hey all,

In 2 weeks time i'm doing the end of term leavers disco for a load of 11yr olds at my old school. Now i've never done a childrens party before but it is quite a casual event in that I know all the staff and my mum used to work at the school.

I was just wondering what to do, its only 2 hours so i'm guessing theres not a whole lot I can do but i'm just thinking of games etc...but will 11yr olds even like games? lol..

I'm well up to date with my chart music as I understand they like this but just want to get some advice of anyone who is willing to give some:D :D

Thanks all
Jay

Tom
01-07-2008, 01:01 PM
11th partys are great fun. Just play lots of chart and newish music but I usually get requested for some 80's fomr some reason. lol. Theye didnt want to play games, just do all the dance moves to all the songs, but all partys are different.

Just be open to all music I would say.

Vectis
01-07-2008, 01:08 PM
High School Musical, Hannah Montana, Avril Lavigne, Crazy Frog (yawn), all sorts of action songs old & new plus plenty Chart material Now 55 onwards.

UltraBeat Entertainment
01-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Chart music
Action Songs

...Sorted:)

Maybe a game like limbo something for all ages.

KrazyKaz
01-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Chart music
Action Songs

...Sorted:)

Ditto with a bit of HSM thrown in

In my experience 11 year olds don't always want games, I tend to not do them.

Jay
01-07-2008, 01:35 PM
I didn't really think they would want games, of course I will be prepared if fhtey are needed and then I can't lose, I have heard that little in song games for instance best dancer to the next song (cha cha slide or something) will win a prize.

None of the bad kids from school are allowed to go so I don't expect too much trouble, but then again...if you ask me drunken idiots are possibly worse anyways lol, there will be 2 of us so i'm sure we'll be fine. I am taking my girlfriend who works in a nursery and is great with kids of all ages and is great with them so she will be doing any games if we do some.

KrazyKaz
01-07-2008, 01:50 PM
I did a school disco for ages 4 - 11 on Friday. At all my kids parties I do games, prizes, certificates and sweets. The school didn't want any of that, although, they usually pick a best boy/best girl dancer and provide the prizes.

We played chart stuff, HSM etc and also did a silly song session (party dances) - fast food rockers, cha cha slide, superman, music man - but I did the dances with them. They loved it, so did the school, even had the Headteacher dancing - :)

Vectis
01-07-2008, 02:00 PM
A great trick I often use to get the adults involved (and believe me, once you get them started... ) is to play a few action dance songs that all the kids will know (cha cha slide, macarena etc.) then stop the music. Ask the kids if they think it's fair that they get to do all the dancing and the adults just sit on their backsides. Tell them you're not playing any more music until they get at least 3/5/10 adults (aim for about a third of them) on the dancefloor then hit them with an "oldie" like YMCA, Oops or Tiger Feet.

Sheer class, works every time :D

If they ARE doing best dancer prizes, make sure you do it to the adults as well and get the kids to choose!! (well it wastes 5 minutes and makes some noise if nothing else) :D :D

UltraBeat Entertainment
01-07-2008, 02:50 PM
We played chart stuff, HSM etc and also did a silly song session (party dances) - fast food rockers, cha cha slide, superman, music man - but I did the dances with them. They loved it, so did the school, even had the Headteacher dancing - :)

Am i being really dumb here but what is HSM :confused:

Ask the kids if they think it's fair that they get to do all the dancing and the adults just sit on their backsides. Tell them you're not playing any more music until they get at least 3/5/10 adults (aim for about a third of them) on the dancefloor then hit them with an "oldie" like YMCA, Oops or Tiger Feet.

And what do you do when this doesn't work? stand there like an idiot until a few adults stand up:o :p

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Am i being really dumb here but what is HSM :confused:

High School Musical

UltraBeat Entertainment
01-07-2008, 03:01 PM
High School Musical

Should have known that:bang:

Thanks Darren

Vectis
01-07-2008, 04:42 PM
High School Musical

Should have known that:bang:

Thanks Darren

Erm, might I point you in the direction of post #3 ? ;)

UltraBeat Entertainment
02-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Erm, might I point you in the direction of post #3 ? ;)

Missed that one:o

OllieJames
02-07-2008, 02:40 PM
11th partys are great fun. Just play lots of chart and newish music but I usually get requested for some 80's fomr some reason. lol. Theye didnt want to play games, just do all the dance moves to all the songs, but all partys are different.

Just be open to all music I would say.

That's what i find too.

ppentertainments
02-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Don't forget scooter - really popular with kids and teens.
Other bands to use are cascada and mika.
Always use these for this age group and have never failed (thats it cursed now)

Jay
04-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks for all your adive guys, im quite looking forward to it now. All my old teachers will be there so it'll be interesting to see if they remember me...should be fun :D