PDA

View Full Version : Pre wedding meet ups?

yourdj
03-07-2008, 07:00 AM
Hi i am getting an increasing amount of people wanting pre wedding meet ups.

I understand this is the most important day of their live, but every meet up i have had has really concluded nothing for me as each wedding venue is the same. I go to all manner of places each and every week so no venue really stumps me.

The only thing is that they get to meet you and you build up a rapour which i often do with client over the phone or email anyway.

I do not charge as much as most for the gig and it takes a large chunk of my already very busy day/evening. :( in their eyes i am only a DJ, but they do not know i own two other businesses (and do not need to know).

Just wondering how you do things and if you add a charge for doing this :confused: if so how much?

:)

JAMdisco
03-07-2008, 07:06 AM
It's all part of my service, I always offer it and it's up to them whether they want to meet or not. I don't tend to bother with birthdays as much but where possible I prefer to drop the booking pack by hand. It's nice just to put a face to a name.

Sometimes it's not always possible due to location, e.g. I have a couple getting married in August, she's from London and the Groom is away with the army.

I don't charge for it, but then again I normally charge £60 per hour for weddings.

yourdj
03-07-2008, 07:29 AM
I think i will explain to them i am busy and will try to find time and offer the option of meeting me? Before anyone thinks that i cant be bothered, i can but I simply do not have time to visit people on the other side of the county.

PropellerHeadCase
03-07-2008, 07:43 AM
To be honest given your company name I'd've thought you were doing meetings as standard. In general the meeting is more for their benefit than yours but you can get some useful information and it does mean they're more comfortable in talking with you and you'll get better quality information in the lead up to the day.

If the cost to you is causing problems either up your price or advise clients of a small charge to cover costs for those that do want meetings.

Ahh, on the otherside of the country... use Skype ;)

UltraBeat Entertainment
03-07-2008, 08:09 AM
I've just started meeting all my clients that books weddings and offer to meet clients who book other occasions such as birthdays.

I think it is a good idea as it give the customer piece of mind and a chance to get to know you and it works for us too as we can find out what kind of music they like, what they want played and to find out more information about their event such as times, events like buffets and speeches and lets you finalize details.

Also a good time to pick up deposits and the signing of the T+C's and sort out that side of things.

soundtracker
03-07-2008, 08:15 AM
You either offer a service or you don't! If you haven't got time to do it, tell people outright from the start that its not a service that you offer, and let them go off and book someone that does- if its a time issue, its not going to be solved by charging for the priviledge.

Vectis
03-07-2008, 08:51 AM
:bang: :bang: :bang:

Sorry, just find this thread incredible!

The customer meeting isn't just about the venue or about the music. It's about getting to know your client, their aspirations for their big day, how you can play a vital role in that. Then you can get up there and play to them and to their guests much more intimately, and it will show in the performance and your choice of everything you do.

It's also a great upsell tool if you offer complimentary services because once the bond is created you have an established channel.

And as others have mentioned, a good way to get the nastiness of the money side of things all sorted well before the event.

Time to make a decision... either offer meetings as part of the bundle (even if that's a wedding-specific bundle) or don't. The majority of my wedding clients are based on the North Island and yet getting to meet with them never seems to be a problem and I'm just as busy in my 'other lives' as you if not more so.

It's not uncommon with some of my "Platinum" customers who go on to book other services through me to have 2 or 3 meetings before the event. After the first, they're happy to pay for more.

</rant>

Steve the DJ
03-07-2008, 09:05 AM
I'm with Vectis on this, I feel far less in control of an event where we haven't had a meeting.

Getting to know them helps you shape the event and really personalise it and because you build up that face to face rapport you can help direct their decisions in terms of where you set up, when is a good time for the first dance, how to finish etc.

After all, I am the expert. :D

rob1963
03-07-2008, 10:32 AM

I wish I was!

Only about 10-20% of my clients want to meet up in advance, which really surprises me.

I even put something on my home page about this to try & encourage more clients to meet me in advance, but it hasn't made any difference.

Maybe my website & replies to their queries give them the confidence to feel that a meeting is not necessary. I dont know!

:shrug:

The only thing is that they get to meet you and you build up a rapour which i often do with client over the phone or email anyway.

To be honest, I don't think you can establish much of a rapour with clients via email. The phone is better, but nothing beats a face to face meeting with them.

Just wondering how you do things and if you add a charge for doing this :confused: if so how much?

I don't and would never charge for advance meetings, as I just see it as part of the service. If they don't want to have a meeting, that's their choice.

I don't even charge for people who want to meet me BEFORE deciding whether to book, as I've not yet visited a potential client who has not gone on to book me.

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-07-2008, 10:40 AM
I very rarely have clients who want to meet up, but why wouldn't you charge them? It's your time after all.

yourdj
03-07-2008, 10:41 AM
I think it is a good idea as it give the customer piece of mind and a chance to get to know you and it works for us too as we can find out what kind of music they like, what they want played and to find out more information about their event such as times, events like buffets and speeches and lets you finalize details.

Also a good time to pick up deposits and the signing of the T+C's and sort out that side of things.

Almost all my gigs are settled either over email or phone at the moment. that is because my clients do not request it (most of the time).

The deposits are sent with the booking form which asks all relevant questions including a full list of music etc. Never had an issue with money? always polite and let them know we require it before commencing way before the day.

I always know what to expect when arriving at a wedding as i have good communication via phone and email prior to the event.

Thanks for the advice :)

The customer meeting isn't just about the venue or about the music. It's about getting to know your client, their aspirations for their big day, how you can play a vital role in that.

It's also a great upsell tool if you offer complimentary services because once the bond is created you have an established channel.

And as others have mentioned, a good way to get the nastiness of the money side of things all sorted well before the event.

Time to make a decision... either offer meetings as part of the bundle (even if that's a wedding-specific bundle) or don't.

You do live on a very small island :) so not as far too travel. You also seem to have a monopoly and you work during the day for someone else and have evenings free. I love meeting clients but i do not want to promise a service i cannot upkeep especially if the travel is a hour long trip!

I also run an agency so other DJ's will not be able to meet the client too which complicates issues.

I fully understand about getting to know the customer and i all for that. I have had hour long conversations on the phone with clients and learnt more about them and what they want than many of my meetings.

Definitely a tool for upselling. i got a whole day with up lights, PA etc. at a meeting for a four hour disco the other day. :p so it does pay off. :D

Over all i agree with you. Better to meet at the venue and talk it through.

rob1963
03-07-2008, 10:47 AM
I very rarely have clients who want to meet up

Wow...it's not just me then.

I don't feel so bad now!

but why wouldn't you charge them? It's your time after all.

Because I have fixed prices (subject to a few basic criteria).

If I do a gig which is a 45 minute drive (rather than 10 minutes up the road), I wouldn't charge any more for that, either.

It's just the way I choose to operate.

Vectis
03-07-2008, 10:51 AM
You do live on a very small island :) so not as far too travel. You also seem to have a monopoly and you work during the day for someone else and have evenings free. I love meeting clients but i do not want to promise a service i cannot upkeep especially if the travel is a hour long trip!

Only about 20% of my wedding bookings are by island-based folks. The majority travel here specifically, occasionally from abroad rather than just mainland UK. Therefore the windows which present themselves for meetings are very narrow and yet I still don't find a problem making time.

I work part-time 3 or 4 days per week on the mainland and my evenings are most certainly not 'free' - I'm often faced with a 6-hour each-way commute to my "day job" based in the north west. Sometimes I get lucky and can 'camp out' at an office near London. All of this lends itself well to meeting up with clients and potential clients wherever they live in the country. I've even been known when taking a holiday in the Hebrides to make a detour on the way home to visit a couple near Edinburgh planning an island wedding :o Now that's how important I feel these meetings are.

:beer1:

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Because I have fixed prices (subject to a few basic criteria).

It doesn't actually say that on your site though, does it?

It says the price for a disco but doesn't say "You get a one hour visit included!"

theoloyla
03-07-2008, 10:59 AM
We've had this discussion on here before. I mostly manage to do all that I need to do on the phone. There are occasions where it is necessary to have a site meeting because of a particular unfamiliar venue. Also there are some couples who are nervous and want reassurance that despite everything they have seen and heard about me that I am not going to ruin their big day. I generally try to get them to visit me at a venue where I work regularly or come to my house/office. If I have to visit them at their home I will generally ask for a consultancy fee to cover time and expenses.
It seems to be the trendy thing to do to have these meetings but for me they seem embarrasingly unecessary. They ask will you really play requests. Can we have this tune or that tune. Talk about first dance and final dance etc. When and how they are going to pay, Within 5 to 10 minutes the conversation is exhausted and I ask "Is there anything else you want to ask?" Generally the answer is no and we part with the usual words like "If you think of anything else dont hesitate to give me a ring or speak to me on the night."

rob1963
03-07-2008, 11:17 AM
It doesn't actually say that on your site though, does it?

Fair comment Darren.

No, it doesn't.

It says the price for a disco but doesn't say "You get a one hour visit included!"

Maybe I'll think about changing the text on my home page from "We can visit you to discuss your requirements" to something like "Our prices include a visit to discuss your requirements"

I could also put something about this on the disco page.

I'll have a think about it.

rob1963
03-07-2008, 11:20 AM
It seems to be the trendy thing to do to have these meetings but for me they seem embarrasingly unecessary.

Maybe for you, but not for me.

If I've met the bride & groom in advance, I look forward to the gig more & also feel happier on my arrival...

...rather than turning up & introducing myself to a couple of complete strangers.

yourdj
03-07-2008, 11:20 AM
I very rarely have clients who want to meet up, but why wouldn't you charge them? It's your time after all.

Yes i agree. no problem with them meeting me, going to an unfamiliar venue or sorting out special requirments. i did a meet recently where the bride wanted all sorts of things with a hefty budget. i now know what to expect.

Only about 20% of my wedding bookings are by island-based folks. The majority travel here specifically, occasionally from abroad rather than just mainland UK. Therefore the windows which present themselves for meetings are very narrow and yet I still don't find a problem making time.

I work part-time 3 or 4 days per week on the mainland and my evenings are most certainly not 'free' - I'm often faced with a 6-hour each-way commute to my "day job" based in the north west.

Sorry i forgot you commuted and have kids :) You are busy.

Also there are some couples who are nervous and want reassurance that despite everything they have seen and heard about me that I am not going to ruin their big day.

I generally try to get them to visit me at a venue where I work regularly or come to my house/office. If I have to visit them at their home I will generally ask for a consultancy fee to cover time and expenses.
It seems to be the trendy thing to do to have these meetings but for me they seem embarrasingly unecessary.

I agree mostly younger couples who are nervous. They generally only want to know for sure you are not one of the steriotypical cheezy DJ's.

off topic: Out of interest would your PLI cover you thier homes?

edit: Definitely helps meeting though as you know the client.

UltraBeat Entertainment
03-07-2008, 11:37 AM

If I've met the bride & groom in advance, I look forward to the gig more & also feel happier on my arrival...

...rather than turning up & introducing myself to a couple of complete strangers.

I agree. It reassures the bride and groom because they know your a real DJ and seem professional and it's good for you as you know abit of what there after and the type of music they want plus its great to get to know your clients.

i to look forwards to a gig once I've met the clients. bit of weight off the shoulders

Vectis
03-07-2008, 11:50 AM
off topic: Out of interest would your PLI cover you thier homes?

Can't see why not if you're there on official business. Same as it would if you were playing at their house party, surely?

Might come unstuck if you were giving them a "free" consultation... probably best to say that the fee "includes" one but that it's not a discount point if not used.

Spirits High
03-07-2008, 12:02 PM

The customer meeting isn't just about the venue or about the music. It's about getting to know your client, their aspirations for their big day, how you can play a vital role in that. Then you can get up there and play to them and to their guests much more intimately, and it will show in the performance and your choice of everything you do.

</rant>

:agree:

It's part of my service to Wedding clients to get things exactly how they want. I using it as a selling point that it's included in the price quoted.

On a good point i'm finding that more and more clients are choosing to pay the balance when we have the meetings.

I'm happy the way I do it, so will continue to do so. ;)

Steve the DJ
03-07-2008, 12:47 PM

I don't understand what is "trendy" about wanting to meet your service suppliers in advance, especially when (many) clients are investing ever higher sums for our services?

They ask will you really play requests. Can we have this tune or that tune. Talk about first dance and final dance etc. When and how they are going to pay, Within 5 to 10 minutes the conversation is exhausted and I ask "Is there anything else you want to ask?" Generally the answer is no and we part with the usual words like "If you think of anything else dont hesitate to give me a ring or speak to me on the night."

I allocate an hour for a client meeting and get loads of useful information, I think you need some more questions! :D

Me too.

Might come unstuck if you were giving them a "free" consultation... probably best to say that the fee "includes" one but that it's not a discount point if not used.

I don't think you have to tell them you have factored a possible meeting into the price you charge, just do it and if they don't want one then that is their choice.

I do not offer a discount if a client doesn't have a meeting with me.

theoloyla
03-07-2008, 12:57 PM
I don't understand what is "trendy" about wanting to meet your service suppliers in advance, especially when (many) clients are investing ever higher sums for our services?

I allocate an hour for a client meeting and get loads of useful information, I think you need some more questions:D

Maybe I do. I really do find that I can establish a relationship and get all the information I need by phone, print and e-mail. In my opininion face to face meetings are just a load of flannel.

Steve the DJ
03-07-2008, 01:47 PM
I really do find that I can establish a relationship and get all the information I need by phone, print and e-mail. In my opininion face to face meetings are just a load of flannel.

Then we will have to agree to disagree because in my experience, with the type of client I am after (i.e. happy to pay £400+), communicating only by phone or via email just isn't good enough.

As an example I have just taken a Wedding booking priced at £495 because I was the only DJ that they contacted who was happy to meet with them in advance and discuss their plans.

It obviously comes down to the type of person I guess.

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Then we will have to agree to disagree because in my experience, with the type of client I am after (i.e. happy to pay £400+), communicating only by phone or via email just isn't good enough.

As an example I have just taken a Wedding booking priced at £495 because I was the only DJ that they contacted who was happy to meet with them in advance and discuss their plans.

Not the type of person. The individual.

I also work in the same market, price wise as you Steve, but don't meet with many of my clients.

Steve the DJ
03-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Interesting, I wonder if it's because I push it as "the best way to do things" as I love how it benefits me as much (or maybe even more) as them?

P.S. Missed you at the pub last night, I had to talk to Phil and he is far too sensible... :p

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Interesting, I wonder if it's because I push it as "the best way to do things" as I love how it benefits me as much (or maybe even more) as them?

Perhaps, but I think we had this convo at the pub last time. It makes it more difficult when you are a multi op and the DJ might not be me.

P.S. Missed you at the pub last night, I had to talk to Phil and he is far too sensible... :p

Hehe...

I completely forgot. :o

I was stuck doing paperwork till 10:30pm, then I suddenly remembered which is when I rang Phil, but I think you' gone by then.

Next time....:cool: :beer1:

Steve the DJ
03-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Perhaps, but I think we had this convo at the pub last time. It makes it more difficult when you are a multi op and the DJ might not be me.

I think it is definitely easier for me to manage as I work alone.

Hehe...

I completely forgot. :o

I was stuck doing paperwork till 10:30pm, then I suddenly remembered which is when I rang Phil, but I think you' gone by then.

Next time....:cool: :beer1:

Not a problem, I'll catch you next time. :beer1:

I had to shoot back and spend 3 hours saving the data in my DJ Intelligence account which is just about to expire as I have just swapped to DJ Event Planner...:bang:

Excalibur
03-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Maybe I do. I really do find that I can establish a relationship and get all the information I need by phone, print and e-mail. In my opininion face to face meetings are just a load of flannel.

It also comes down to the age of the DJ. I would only differ slightly from what Theo has said.

Not the type of person. The individual.

I also work in the same market, price wise as you Steve, but don't meet with many of my clients.
Not surprising, if the meter's running from when you turn the ignition key! :sofa:

CRAZY K
03-07-2008, 05:12 PM

Time to make a decision... either offer meetings as part of the bundle (even if that's a wedding-specific bundle) or don't. The majority of my wedding clients are based on the North Island and yet getting to meet with them never seems to be a problem and I'm just as busy in my 'other lives' as you if not more so.

It's not uncommon with some of my "Platinum" customers who go on to book other services through me to have 2 or 3 meetings before the event. After the first, they're happy to pay for more.

</rant>

Its alright when you live on a small Island AND your offering extras that you get paid for.:D :D :D

Many of my gigs are 100 miles away--the dog and bone plus email works just fine.

I have just come off the phone from a Wedding client --three weeks time--
we only discussed four things--

First dance--they cant dance very well so we dont have one--we do a Barn Dance mixer to start with--:thumbs_up:

Music to play
Music not to play Birdie Song---drat :eek:

Where do they get Cowboy Hats:)

I didnt get a playlist --:rolleyes:

The clients attitude is --youve done hundreds of these so we will leave the basics to you heres some guidelines and "requests"

Works for me EVERYTIME:D

Nastiness of money---:confused:

CRAZY K

CRAZY K
03-07-2008, 05:18 PM

Its easy Rob, Brides the one in all white and a big dress--the grooms the chap with a big smile on his face next to her.

Seriously dont you just go in and greet them like old friends???

Were in the entertainment business.

CRAZY K

rob1963
03-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Seriously dont you just go in and greet them like old friends???

Of course I do...but they are still complete strangers!

:D

Twinspin
03-07-2008, 05:49 PM
I do all pre wedding meetups at my resident hotel at least 90% of them. As i do bookings there.

I do my own pre-wedding consultations at my resident hotel as well. As its central for most clients.

I usually hold the meetings in one of the function suites at my resident hotel. I dont get charged for using the room up to 1 hour.

The only thing that cost me is the tea or coffee for the clients. Which i pay for because i can get them cheap in the hotel £1.50 for a jug of coffee or tea. with everything with it. Drinks delivered as well by a member of staff.

cost 3 times that usually

I Get the wifi free as well. I have a dedicated laptop for the business. So during a pre-meeting i have internet access to use dj intelligence to show the clients features that are available to them.

CRAZY K
03-07-2008, 07:59 PM

Well all my clients pay more than that for a Wedding ----and its perfectly good enough for them.

It all depends on how you sell yourself.

Perhaps we could have an agenda from one of these meetings which might teach us all something?

CRAZY K

Steve the DJ
03-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Well all my clients pay more than that for a Wedding ----and its perfectly good enough for them.

Show off...:p

It all depends on how you sell yourself.

Perhaps we could have an agenda from one of these meetings which might teach us all something?

If you can get over £500 a Wedding and don't have to meet your clients then I suggest it is you sir that need to share your secrets...:D

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Show off...:p

If you can get over £500 a Wedding and don't have to meet your clients then I suggest it is you sir that need to share your secrets...:D

That's why Phil said you missed me last night...;)

Penfold42
03-07-2008, 08:12 PM
I like to meet everyone.....because i'm that kinda guy....:D

Dragonfly
03-07-2008, 08:22 PM
I like to meet everyone.....because i'm that kinda guy....:D

awwwww give us a hug ya big honey monster :D :D :D

http://images.google.co.uk/url?q=http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl0/1/13255/13_2008/Picture%252019_0.larger.jpg&usg=AFQjCNGkMt3L5iFhWeFmjpuhYaWC6L3p0w

I offer a meeting with any of my clients should they want one but , for weddings I do tell people I like to meet them (which i genuinely do) to build a rapport with them and so your not just a nameless face on their big day.

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-07-2008, 08:25 PM
So for you guys who do the pre-wedding meets, what happens if you find out that your clients are real scumbag/chavvy sorts?

Penfold42
03-07-2008, 08:27 PM
for weddings I do tell people I like to meet them (which i genuinely do) to build a rapport with them and so your not just a nameless face on their big day.

It's a good job your not at the moment.......:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Agree with Batman....you can be a bit more of a showman with the mic if you meet them before hand......and by the time I do meet them, I've had at least 4 e-mails and the same phone calls between us.....works for me.....

It also makes you look and sound, dare i say, professional....:)

Edit -

So for you guys who do the pre-wedding meets, what happens if you find out that your clients are real scumbag/chavvy sorts?
I usually try and make a judgement call from the first conversation.....might be wrong.......and also dare I say function room.

Dragonfly
03-07-2008, 08:32 PM

I give them Tonys number :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Steve the DJ
03-07-2008, 08:36 PM
That's why Phil said you missed me last night...;)

I missed you because I was going to pretend I had loads of questions about the ProDub licence to see if you hit me over the head with your Guiness...:p

To be honest I haven't come across anyone like that and I think it has a great deal to do with charging a bit more.

However, I do find that they want a lot more control over what is played which is fine but can be a little challenging (and fun!) when you get a very diverse list.

I usually try and make a judgement call from the first conversation.....might be wrong.......and also dare I say function room.

Funny you should say that, I suddenly became booked on a date that someone was enquiring about when I found out their venue was a real spit and sawdust pub.

I don't care how much they want to pay, there are some places I don't do. :eek:

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-07-2008, 08:37 PM
I missed you because I was going to pretend I had loads of questions about the ProDub licence to see if you hit me over the head with your Guiness...:p

And you'd have been correct. :boxer2: :D

Spirits High
03-07-2008, 08:39 PM

Come on Daz, you know the kind of clients the knights of the Midlands table have..........we pass the dodgy ones onto Martin :D

Agree with Batman....you can be a bit more of a showman with the mic if you meet them before hand......and by the time I do meet them, I've had at least 4 e-mails and the same phone calls between us.....works for me.....

It also makes you look and sound, dare i say, professional....:)

:agree:
Can't beat a bit of "facetime"

I give them Tonys number :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Dave, Great minds and all that :D :D :D :D :D :D

Penfold42
03-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Funny you should say that, I suddenly became booked on a date that someone was enquiring about when I found out their venue was a real spit and sawdust pub.

I don't care how much they want to pay, there are some places I don't do. :eek:

Bet you find that most guy's on here that, walk the walk do the same.....

I've learnt over the last year and 1/2 where all the nice places are from Lincoln to Derby.......:rolleyes: ;) :D

wensleydale
03-07-2008, 08:58 PM
why do i offer it?
because many people want it and are happier to book me becuase of it.
its also a point of difference which can only be a good thing.
i try and tie it in with a site visit so kill 2 birds with one stone- it never hurts to meet the event coordinator at the venue either.

its not essential but neither are many other parts of the service i offer and if it enables me to provide a more premium service then i am happy to do it.

PropellerHeadCase
03-07-2008, 09:44 PM

Roll-out the armour-plated DJ booth?

I find meetings invaluable because I am crap with names/faces so meeting them (and occasionally brides maids, etc) once or twice before the day can help with that (I've lost count of the number of times that the groom and all half dozen groomsmen are dressed identically:rolleyes:).

Picking up on a point that Theo made, it might well be that because I'm a little less of a showman that the pre-event meeting helps open the lines of communication (who was it that finally spelt 'rapport' correctly?), and it often gives me enough of an insight into the type of people they are and the type of relationship they have as to what type of humour is appropriate in what little I do say.

Vectis
03-07-2008, 10:25 PM

Can't beat a pikey wedding once in a while ... take the nasty old gear, play some different tunes ... let your hair down a bit :D

In all seriousness it's usually blindingly obvious by the tone/content of the initial enquiry, or the choice of venue, and more usually by the fact they're getting married on a Tuesday or something because it's cheaper and everyone they know is on the dole anyway so it doesn't matter to them what day of the week it is :p So it's just a case of killing it at the enquiry stage with an unavailable or a daft price.

... and it often gives me enough of an insight into the type of people they are and the type of relationship they have as to what type of humour is appropriate ...

Guess that's the kind of thing I alluded to when I said it adds to the intimacy.

I like to feel that at the end of the night (ideally before!) I've gained a couple of new friends. I have quite a few old customers who keep in touch from time to time just to let me know how things are going with their lives and promising to meet up next time they're on the island... now this all might sound a bit pish to a lot of folks, but it matters to me. It's one of the reasons I do this job.

nigelwright7557
03-07-2008, 11:58 PM

I understand this is the most important day of their live, but every meet up i have had has really concluded nothing for me as each wedding venue is the same. I go to all manner of places each and every week so no venue really stumps me.

I do not charge as much as most for the gig and it takes a large chunk of my already very busy day/evening. :( in their eyes i am only a DJ, but they do not know i own two other businesses (and do not need to know).

I dont normally do wedding gigs but I caved in when someone begged and pleaded poverty.

I built up communication via email and we sorted out all the details that way.

Its good to have a list of DJ questions to hand like is the gig upstairs (which I wont do, as got a bad back !), will the venue be open in time for me to setup, will the entrance door be clear for me to unload ? etc etc

If someone wants to meet you then they should charge for your time.
I dont mind a few minutes to exchange emails but if it starts getting towards an hour I want paying extra. I am sure some people build the extra time into the price but I dont currently.

PropellerHeadCase
04-07-2008, 09:21 AM
I like to feel that at the end of the night (ideally before!) I've gained a couple of new friends. I have quite a few old customers who keep in touch from time to time just to let me know how things are going with their lives and promising to meet up next time they're on the island... now this all might sound a bit pish to a lot of folks, but it matters to me. It's one of the reasons I do this job.

Me, too, the couple I DJed for just before I left NZ (both Brits!) keep in touch which is nice, but then I put loads of extra effort into getting their music sorted.

Shakermaker Promotions
04-07-2008, 10:06 AM
I always do it and it's in with the price. My prices are more or less the same as everyone elses but in my eyes it's going that little bit further for the client and offering the best possible customer service I can. For example: Out of 20 people that I go to see, I have 100% positive feedback from them regarding doing it. Maybe word has gone round that there are DJ's out there willing to do it and now people expect it? I don't know.

It's a great way of finding out their specific do and don't plays (which yes, you could do by email or phone) and also finding out their expectations for the evening. Every couple I have seen have been different from the next lot so it's been good for me to do that. I have also had them saying stuff like "A friend asked me what we were doing tonight and we said we had the DJ for the wedding coming round to see us. First of all their reaction was...Why? but then they commented that it was excellent service"

I do it even if I have a function passed to me via my hotel contract. I even say to the clients that no'one tells me to set up a meeting, the hotel definitely don't...I do it because I want to add that extra touch. I don't travel miles and miles away just to go to a meeting. 20 miles each way is generally my limit to be honest. I don't tend to take bookings any further than an hours drive away anyway at the moment and that's just down to personal preference. I know my area.

The main aim, and one that I tell them when I am in the meeting is to get them really (or more) excited about their function and it works. It may not work for some but it works for me definitely.

soundtracker
04-07-2008, 10:26 AM
I always do it and it's in with the price. My prices are more or less the same as everyone elses but in my eyes it's going that little bit further for the client and offering the best possible customer service I can. For example: Out of 20 people that I go to see, I have 100% positive feedback from them regarding doing it. Maybe word has gone round that there are DJ's out there willing to do it and now people expect it? I don't know.

It's a great way of finding out their specific do and don't plays (which yes, you could do by email or phone) and also finding out their expectations for the evening. Every couple I have seen have been different from the next lot so it's been good for me to do that. I have also had them saying stuff like "A friend asked me what we were doing tonight and we said we had the DJ for the wedding coming round to see us. First of all their reaction was...Why? but then they commented that it was excellent service"

I do it even if I have a function passed to me via my hotel contract. I even say to the clients that no'one tells me to set up a meeting, the hotel definitely don't...I do it because I want to add that extra touch. I don't travel miles and miles away just to go to a meeting. 20 miles each way is generally my limit to be honest. I don't tend to take bookings any further than an hours drive away anyway at the moment and that's just down to personal preference. I know my area.

The main aim, and one that I tell them when I am in the meeting is to get them really (or more) excited about their function and it works. It may not work for some but it works for me definitely.

I go along with that 100%, works for me too!:)

UltraBeat Entertainment
04-07-2008, 10:50 AM

I agree with you again VV.

Its something getting paid for something you enjoy doing, its something else gaining new friends from it as well.

As the old saying goes... You can never have to many friends (and who do friends book for their discos?:rolleyes: )

CRAZY K
04-07-2008, 11:23 AM

Its something getting paid for something you enjoy doing, its something else gaining new friends from it as well.

As the old saying goes... You can never have to many friends (and who do friends book for their discos?:rolleyes: )

The most common saying in business I know is---

NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH FRIENDS :eek:

Mates rates etc.

CRAZY K

Shakermaker Promotions
04-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Crazy K, Don't you think that last bit (in capitals) is slightly over the top with regards to this particular topic? What I mean is, I may go out and meet people with reference to their upcoming functions but I don't end up best mates with them and therefore, I don't charge that little bit less if a friend of theirs books me for a follow on function.

The people I went to see last night were a couple that are having their wedding via the hotel. I don't want to upset anyone in particular on here and maybe it's a different subject altogeather but they booked me as recommendation and part of the hotel contract. Most people have me when they book with the hotel as part of the package but not everyone and there's nothing to say that they HAVE to. When I saw them last night they mentioned that this was pretty much a rush job (9 months planning, not sure about that) and they want it pretty informal really. They said they had been to a wedding fayre at the hotel and seen another DJ (he knows who he is as that's when we first met) and for one reason or another decided that they would stick with the hotel's DJ (me)...as I said, maybe that's a different topic and one that I may start soon.

Last night the couple mentioned that 2 of their friends are getting married next June and have held back on venue/DJ etc so far because they want to see what this one is like. In other words, if they like what I do then they'll book me. If they like what I do but not the hotel then they'll book me and take me elsewhere. If they like the hotel and not me then they'll book the venue and their own DJ. This lot are real music lovers and some of the tunes they were coming up with are real 80s dance classics (Chaka Khan, Jocelyn Brown, Womack & Womack etc)...when I started mentioning stuff like that and more, they got really excited and started to say that they were really looking forward to the night, which is really just one big knees up. There's minimal family going and mainly mates. They don't want to go round in circles and be the centre of attention of 3 minutes worth of their first dance and want people to join in half way through etc etc...They don't want any cheesy music or any of the dodgy side of the 80s (which always works - Wham, Tiffany etc..). Both of them hate Queen with a passion and when I joked saying "Well that's killed my last track of the night then...'Don't stop me now', they both popped up and said "Now, that's the only one we DO like"

Now, it would have been easy to find that out on the night but why wait? What if I didn't actually have some of the stuff they like? What if I made a really big deal of their first dance and they didn't like it? It would have been awkward...that's why I firmly believe that going through all the fine details in pre function meetings is a good move.

Vectis
04-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Now, it would have been easy to find that out on the night but why wait? What if I didn't actually have some of the stuff they like? What if I made a really big deal of their first dance and they didn't like it? It would have been awkward...that's why I firmly believe that going through all the fine details in pre function meetings is a good move.

:claphands:

Cor... this is a divisive subject!

CRAZY K
04-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Crazy K, Don't you think that last bit (in capitals) is slightly over the top with regards to this particular topic? What I mean is, I may go out and meet people with reference to their upcoming functions but I don't end up best mates with them and therefore, I don't charge that little bit less if a friend of theirs books me for a follow on function.

The people I went to see last night were a couple that are having their wedding via the hotel. I don't want to upset anyone in particular on here and maybe it's a different subject altogeather but they booked me as recommendation and part of the hotel contract. Most people have me when they book with the hotel as part of the package but not everyone and there's nothing to say that they HAVE to. When I saw them last night they mentioned that this was pretty much a rush job (9 months planning, not sure about that) and they want it pretty informal really. They said they had been to a wedding fayre at the hotel and seen another DJ (he knows who he is as that's when we first met) and for one reason or another decided that they would stick with the hotel's DJ (me)...as I said, maybe that's a different topic and one that I may start soon.

Last night the couple mentioned that 2 of their friends are getting married next June and have held back on venue/DJ etc so far because they want to see what this one is like. In other words, if they like what I do then they'll book me. If they like what I do but not the hotel then they'll book me and take me elsewhere. If they like the hotel and not me then they'll book the venue and their own DJ. This lot are real music lovers and some of the tunes they were coming up with are real 80s dance classics (Chaka Khan, Jocelyn Brown, Womack & Womack etc)...when I started mentioning stuff like that and more, they got really excited and started to say that they were really looking forward to the night, which is really just one big knees up. There's minimal family going and mainly mates. They don't want to go round in circles and be the centre of attention of 3 minutes worth of their first dance and want people to join in half way through etc etc...They don't want any cheesy music or any of the dodgy side of the 80s (which always works - Wham, Tiffany etc..). Both of them hate Queen with a passion and when I joked saying "Well that's killed my last track of the night then...'Don't stop me now', they both popped up and said "Now, that's the only one we DO like"

No I dont regret saying that at all--its true, I accept your not likely to be "friends" but I believe there has to be a dividing line--between business and social otherwise you get embarrased into all kinds of possible extras as a favour.

Reading your post it seems we are getting back to the thorny subject of play
lists---so Ill duck out now otherwise Boogie Boy will wake up and start having a pop at me as being unprofessional:cool:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Whatever works for you keep doing it--

CRAZY K

CRAZY K
04-07-2008, 04:34 PM
:claphands:

Cor... this is a divisive subject!

Bit like Play Lists????
;) ;) ;)

CRAZY K

yourdj
05-07-2008, 12:42 AM

The bride and groom tonight offered me to get drunk with them and thier friends and stay with them in thier room tonight :eek:

I answered i have a girlfriend to see and they jokingly said "its ok we dont want a three some.

Nice couple :p

theoloyla
05-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Guess that's the kind of thing I alluded to when I said it adds to the intimacy.

You want to get intimate with your bride and groom.:eek: :confused: :D
Didnt know you were a swinger!:D :)

Vectis
25-07-2008, 07:10 AM
Hmmm.... there's a distinct whiff of luncheon meat... :)

nigelwright7557
25-07-2008, 08:56 PM
I would be seriously looking at billing them extra for a meet.
Travelling time + fuel + a cost per hour of the meeting.

I have a wedding next month and they were happy for me to just turn up. I dont normally do weddings but got my arm twisted to do this one.

Vectis
25-07-2008, 09:30 PM
I would be seriously looking at billing them extra for a meet.
Travelling time + fuel + a cost per hour of the meeting.

Mais Oui!

It's included in the package price. On the very odd occasion where for whatever reason a meeting can't take place, I don't refund!!