PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Fayres

Shakermaker Promotions
04-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Hi all,

I know this has been done before but hopefully not from this angle so bear with me and read on.

I've touched on this in another thread and can I just say that I do not mean what I am about to say to come across in any way, shape or form, derogatory to anyone in particular on this forum.

A few months back at a wedding fayre at my hotel residency, I had just finished helping my wife set up her display section etc for her Bridalwear shop and decided to have a scout about, hand out some of my cards etc to other displayers and chat to a few people. I wasn't actually displaying my own services at this particular fayre because I had been doing a function for a friend in Bristol the night before and had stayed over. I knew this in advance so didn't pay for the slot. The hotel were aware of this and as I am contracted to them they said they didn't mind if I mingled and did some face to face customer service, selling etc.

As I walked around I met a guy from this forum. Nice bloke too. We chatted etc about different things as you do and whilst we were talking, people actually approached him enquiring about his services. I felt a bit awkward but I didn't try to muscle in at all as afterall, he had paid for his slot at the fayre and I hadn't. Anyway, I was quite surprised at the time (and I have had comments on this, hence the reason for the topic) that there wasn't a full disco setup to show what was available. As the guy in question will know, all that was on show was a laptop and a pair of Gemini GX450's, a banner and some literature. It got me thinking.....

When people go to a wedding fayre, along with the limousines, flowers, suits, bridalwear, hats, accessories, cakes etc etc...they are going to ask about Disco Entertainment too. All of the others are on display. For example, there's always wedding dresses on show, a limo parked outside and cakes on display etc. The average person going to a wedding fayre (in my opinion) is much more likely to make an enquiry or a a definite approach if they can see a Disco on display....yes? It may be a pain in the proverbial to set it all up etc but I don't think personally (no offence) that a laptop and a couple of active speakers is going to give the right impression.

When you have a hotel contract, 9 times out of 10, (in my experience anyway) most people will go for the DJ that comes with the hotel as it's easier. They don't HAVE to and sometimes people take in their own DJ but most of the time they stick with the hotel guy, as in me. The hotel have never really requested that I be there at wedding fayres because they say that they sell me to the clients so I haven't really done them. I know I could do them to get business elsewhere too but I am busy enough at the moment so I haven't bothered but that will change. Usually, wedding fayres are done by outside companies but the hotel have decided to do their own in the future and part of the deal is that I do them. I won't be charged for them either. What I will do when I do them is set up a typical Disco so that people can actually see what it looks like with lights working etc and some background music.

I wondered what people's thoughts were on this?
To the guy I met - Do you do many wedding fayres and out of interest, do you always just set up the laptop and actives and finally, does it work for you?

Lastly, the couple that I went to see last night were at the wedding fayre that I am talking about. They decided to go with the hotel's DJ (me) as they said that they didn't even realise that there was a DJ on display at the wedding fayre. I hope this isn't taken the wrong way and hope that people can see where I am coming from.

G

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-07-2008, 12:56 PM
How many times have you had a phone call that has started "Tell me about your big speakers or whizzy lights"?

None for me.

People don't buy the equipment from us, they buy a service. They buy you. They buy an idea, a dream.

With others, it is different - they are buying products.

Just to add - you really think that a bride to be would be sold on great big speakers and industrial truss on display or a DJ who is interested in selling himself?

Brides want to talk about their wedding plans, not congratulate you on your fantastic looking equipment.

Shakermaker Promotions
04-07-2008, 01:09 PM
I think you are jumping up a bit mate and going down a different avenue there. I didn't mean it like that at all.

Do I think a bride to be would be sold on my great big speakers etc? Of course not. I can sell myself anyway (as I am sure the guy I mentioned can too), but it's nice for them to see what they are going to get. A nice, full & tidy rig helps. Each to their own and all that and no doubt others like yourself will disagree but I am saying what I think personally and believe me, I had a number of comments on that day, none of which I will repeat on this forum.

I have simply reacted to certain members of the publics perceptions and what they look for at wedding fayres.

rob1963
04-07-2008, 01:16 PM
How many times have you had a phone call that has started "Tell me about your big speakers or whizzy lights"?

None for me.

People don't buy the equipment from us, they buy a service. They buy you. They buy an idea, a dream.

Just to add - you really think that a bride to be would be sold on great big speakers and industrial truss on display or a DJ who is interested in selling himself?

Brides want to talk about their wedding plans, not congratulate you on your fantastic looking equipment.

I agree.

I used to help a friend do wedding fayres, and initially he would take along & set up a standard rig with quiet background music playing & lighting going as well.

My friend then realised that a full rig set up is simply not necessary, as he noticed there were other discos with no gear at all.

They mostly just had leaflets & brochures on a table, and started chatting to people as they walked past.

I was as surprised about this as you Gary, but the fact is you really don't need to take ANY gear to a wedding fayre...just yourself & some brochures.

:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-07-2008, 01:19 PM
A nice, full & tidy rig helps. Each to their own and all that and no doubt others like yourself will disagree

I do disagree.

People don't buy equipment.

Do the dress people have sewing machines there?

Do the cake makers have a kitchen there?

rob1963
04-07-2008, 01:20 PM
it's nice for them to see what they are going to get. A nice, full & tidy rig helps.

With all due respect, Gary, they are NOT going to get a load of disco equipment...

...they are getting a SERVICE.

Therefore, having a full rig there makes no difference in my opinion.

The only difference is all the extra work for you to lug it in & set it up!

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-07-2008, 01:21 PM
I had a number of comments on that day, none of which I will repeat on this forum.

I have simply reacted to certain members of the publics perceptions and what they look for at wedding fayres.

So why would you be talking to clients about another disco at a wedding fayre that you were exhibiting at? :confused:

Shakermaker Promotions
04-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Rob, years ago when I worked for my mates company, we always used to set up the rig and we were always the only Disco there. Maybe that made a difference? I don't know. At the wedding fayres lately, it seems that there is only one Disco on show still. I can see the point of doing the minimal thing but I can also see, and prefer having the full setup. Just my opinion.

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-07-2008, 01:23 PM
But you know that 99.9% of people are not the slightest bit interested in our equipment, so why would you feel the need to show them?

rob1963
04-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Rob, years ago when I worked for my mates company, we always used to set up the rig and we were always the only Disco there. Maybe that made a difference? I don't know. At the wedding fayres lately, it seems that there is only one Disco on show still. I can see the point of doing the minimal thing but I can also see, and prefer having the full setup. Just my opinion.

No problem, Gary.

I'm just speaking from experience.

When we had the full rig set up, it seemed to put people OFF coming up & chatting to us, rather than having the opposite effect.

However, the discos with no gear & just a table with brochures had plenty of people going up & chatting to them!

Shakermaker Promotions
04-07-2008, 01:29 PM
What is this? Gang up on me time or something?
Listen... As I said, I really don't want to say too much as I don't want to upset anyone.

For your information, once I had done my mingling and chatted to other companies and swapped cards etc, I went back to where my wife had her set up and stood with her. She had my cards on display and brochures too. She mentions me at her shop and also in passing when she has clients and she did the same on the day too.

I NEVER actually said that I was talking to clients about another Disco at a wedding fayre that I was exhibiting at. I said that there was someone from this forum that was exhibiting and I wasn't. The people that I saw last night said that they never knew there was a Disco there as they didn't see one. I can see where you are coming from regarding minimal setups because whilst I was with my wife, all I had was my cards, brochures and my gob yet I got a few confirmed bookings from it.

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-07-2008, 01:32 PM
What is this? Gang up on me time or something?
Listen... As I said, I really don't want to say too much as I don't want to upset anyone.

You started a thread and people gave their opinions and suddenly we are ganging up? :confused:

I know exactly who you are talking about just by your description, so i'd forget all the 'I don't want to upset anyone 'cos they come on the forum' business.

It's a thread. It's about opinions. Why start thinking people are ganging up on you, just 'cos we disagree?

rob1963
04-07-2008, 01:35 PM
I think the best way to find out what works best is through trial & error.

Maybe do one wedding fayre with a full set up, then one with no gear at all, but just have a table with brochures on...

...Then see if there is a noticible difference between the two on the number of people chatting to you & the number of bookings you take.

:)

Shakermaker Promotions
04-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Maybe I should have used a smilie so you could see that the comment was made in jest!!!?

Blimey!

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Maybe I should have used a smilie so you could see that the comment was made in jest!!!?

Blimey!

Actually, that comment didn't look as if you made it in jest, no. :D :D :D :D :D

OllieJames
04-07-2008, 01:47 PM
:whistle:

Shakermaker Promotions
04-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Take my word for it mate, it WAS made in jest. I just use the 'Post Quick Reply' button rather than 'Go Advanced' as I don't tend to use smilies that much.

I'm all for comments, you should know that by now. That's what forums are all about. I can see Rob's last comments as being the way to go and it's something I thought about anyway. I suppose if you are that confident in selling yourself (which I am by the way) then all the gear is a waste of time. Thing is, I can only go on comments that I have been given and that's what I have done. You say that 99.9% aren't interested in the equipment and although that percentage in my eyes is a bit high, I would agree to some extent. Going by the comments I have been given or heard, there are a number of people out there that like to see what they are going to get. Rightly or wrongly, that's how it seems.

Of course you aren't going to have a cake maker with a mini kitchen and a dressmaker isn't going to have a sewing machine there either (my wife definitely doesn't)...Discos are different in my opinion but then again, it's down to personal opinion isn't it. Of course I am taking a biased view as I am a DJ and I know that if I went to a wedding fayre I would want some kind of indication as to what I was going to get. Clients are different I agree but there are some (obviously from what I have said) that are interested.

daz226
04-07-2008, 02:12 PM
well i have done 1 wedding fair and took no equipment along other than laptop and flyers oh and business cards.

I have photos and videos on my laptop which i showed to interested peeps and from that i have 5 bookings

i paid 75 pound to attend and was worth every penny as i now have 4 weddings next year from it and one next weekend

happy days

JAMdisco
04-07-2008, 02:29 PM
I went to a wedding fayre a couple of years ago (as a customer) and at the end they had a catwalk fashion show. I'm not sure who the disco was but they had a huge rig and a huge PA system, I'm guessing around 4-5K, loads of moving heads and DMX lights on a very large truss.

The host of the show mentioned the disco at the end and to be honest I didn't see anyone approach them, maybe because they seemed a little unappraochable as they were behind racks & rack of gear. I know they set the system up for the show but it did seem rather excessive for the event.

I would say go for a fairly basic set up if you are going to have gear on display, however if it is just a 'slot' you have booked, get some glossy brochures with good quality pictures on it (maybe get a pro to help you with the pics if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself) and let your mouth do the work of selling your service.

Just my opinion of course :D

PropellerHeadCase
04-07-2008, 07:22 PM

None for me.

Although, the number of grooms who despeately want something they're actually interested in to look at... ;)

I still find that at least a speaker running mono and a hidden light playing on a nearby surface gives an idea without the clutter.

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-07-2008, 07:56 PM
This is from a wedding fayre a couple of years ago.

Two screens, one with a video and the other showing photos, the flame machines for a focal point to draw people in (I don't use them when DJing), the sound system is one of the Yamaha PAS300s that I use for background music and wedding speeches, hence the reason for it being there and of course the large tub of lollypops for people with (and without!) kids.

Then postcards and business cards on the table.

We also had 2 more PAs - one for the fashion show and one in a separate room which is used for the actual ceremony.

nigelwright7557
04-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Hi all,

I know this has been done before but hopefully not from this angle so bear with me and read on.

I've touched on this in another thread and can I just say that I do not mean what I am about to say to come across in any way, shape or form, derogatory to anyone in particular on this forum.

A few months back at a wedding fayre at my hotel residency, I had just finished helping my wife set up her display section etc for her Bridalwear shop and decided to have a scout about, hand out some of my cards etc to other displayers and chat to a few people. I wasn't actually displaying my own services at this particular fayre because I had been doing a function for a friend in Bristol the night before and had stayed over. I knew this in advance so didn't pay for the slot. The hotel were aware of this and as I am contracted to them they said they didn't mind if I mingled and did some face to face customer service, selling etc.

As I walked around I met a guy from this forum. Nice bloke too. We chatted etc about different things as you do and whilst we were talking, people actually approached him enquiring about his services. I felt a bit awkward but I didn't try to muscle in at all as afterall, he had paid for his slot at the fayre and I hadn't. Anyway, I was quite surprised at the time (and I have had comments on this, hence the reason for the topic) that there wasn't a full disco setup to show what was available. As the guy in question will know, all that was on show was a laptop and a pair of Gemini GX450's, a banner and some literature. It got me thinking.....

When people go to a wedding fayre, along with the limousines, flowers, suits, bridalwear, hats, accessories, cakes etc etc...they are going to ask about Disco Entertainment too. All of the others are on display. For example, there's always wedding dresses on show, a limo parked outside and cakes on display etc. The average person going to a wedding fayre (in my opinion) is much more likely to make an enquiry or a a definite approach if they can see a Disco on display....yes? It may be a pain in the proverbial to set it all up etc but I don't think personally (no offence) that a laptop and a couple of active speakers is going to give the right impression.

When you have a hotel contract, 9 times out of 10, (in my experience anyway) most people will go for the DJ that comes with the hotel as it's easier. They don't HAVE to and sometimes people take in their own DJ but most of the time they stick with the hotel guy, as in me. The hotel have never really requested that I be there at wedding fayres because they say that they sell me to the clients so I haven't really done them. I know I could do them to get business elsewhere too but I am busy enough at the moment so I haven't bothered but that will change. Usually, wedding fayres are done by outside companies but the hotel have decided to do their own in the future and part of the deal is that I do them. I won't be charged for them either. What I will do when I do them is set up a typical Disco so that people can actually see what it looks like with lights working etc and some background music.

I wondered what people's thoughts were on this?
To the guy I met - Do you do many wedding fayres and out of interest, do you always just set up the laptop and actives and finally, does it work for you?

Lastly, the couple that I went to see last night were at the wedding fayre that I am talking about. They decided to go with the hotel's DJ (me) as they said that they didn't even realise that there was a DJ on display at the wedding fayre. I hope this isn't taken the wrong way and hope that people can see where I am coming from.

G

I have to agree, they should have had a full disco setup so people can see what they are getting.

I have had a few enquiries where I have been asked about lighting. "Do you have spinning lights?" Or "Have you got lots of lights and a smoke machine"

People would be very upset if you charged £500 for a wedding gig and turned up with one light ! So equipment is very important, or at least thats what I have found. Otherwise so long as it is loud enough and isnt distorted people dont care what speakers you have , unless they are too big and take up half the dance floor !

rob1963
05-07-2008, 12:46 AM
I have to agree, they should have had a full disco setup so people can see what they are getting.

But they aren't getting a load of disco equipment, they are getting a service provided by YOU.

Therefore, if YOU are there, they can not only see what they are getting, but chat to it too!

I have had a few enquiries where I have been asked about lighting. "Do you have spinning lights?" Or "Have you got lots of lights and a smoke machine"

Yes, but all those people are really asking is "does the disco come with lighting"

If you say yes, 90% of them will be happy, so they really don't NEED to see the lights.

equipment is very important, or at least thats what I have found.

That's interesting, because it's not what I have found.

nigelwright7557
05-07-2008, 12:50 AM
But they aren't getting a load of disco equipment, they are getting a service provided by YOU.

Therefore, if YOU are there, they can not only see what they are getting, but chat to it too!

But they are hiring a package, the DJ and the equipment.
One isnt much use without the other !

If the gear is poor the client will be disappointed.
If the DJ is poor the client will be disappointed too.

You cant really seperate the two parts.

How about I give you a Gheto blaster with a partylite and see what your clients think ?

rob1963
05-07-2008, 01:04 AM
But they are hiring a package, the DJ and the equipment.
One isnt much use without the other !

True, but our various bits of kit are simply the tools of our trade.

That's why there is little point in having our gear at wedding fayres.

Think about it.

It's a bit like a decorator going to a trade show & taking his paint brush & dust sheets for potential clients to look at!

It's completely irrelevant...because as long as the tools are up to the job, it doesn't matter what they are.

It's the service provided with them that counts.

If the gear is poor the client will be disappointed.
If the DJ is poor the client will be disappointed too.

And how will a potential client know whether the gear is poor just because they see it set up at a wedding fayre?

They are hiring you predominantly to play music, but they won't even be able to get a clue what your gear sounds like at a wedding fayre, as you'll only be able to play music VERY quietly...if at all!

How about I give you a Gheto blaster with a partylite and see what your clients think ?

Lets go for it! :D

nigelwright7557
05-07-2008, 01:07 AM

LMAO !!!

I rest my case............

rob1963
05-07-2008, 01:11 AM

LMAO !!!

I rest my case............

Needless to say, that was NOT a serious comment of mine!

DazzyD
05-07-2008, 08:55 AM
The wedding fayre I do has a stage and the agreement between me and the promoter states that I'm the only disco there and I do use a small set up. I set up a simple "lovey-dovey" playlist for background music and get the laptop to loop it while we stand in front of the stage so people can come over and chat. I usually do quite well and get a few bookings. However, last years was a complete disaster because it was a baking hot Sunday on the last day of the football season (where Sunderland got promoted from the Championship to the Premiership) and not many punters turned up! I didn't get a single booking that day but gave out a few cards and added a few names to my mailing lists but it could have been a lot better!

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-07-2008, 11:59 AM
People would be very upset if you charged £500 for a wedding gig and turned up with one light !

Firstly, you don't do weddings Nigel, so I'm not quite sure how you are qualifying your answers and secondly, I have done £500 weddings with one light. The clients weren't the slightest bit interested in the gear.