PDA

View Full Version : Drunk Punter

KaraokeDJ
16-07-2008, 10:20 AM
This bloke last night... We were near the end of a good karaoke session and I did a couple of songs while the other singers chose songs to finish the night off.
I was just coming to the end of Suspicious Minds and this drunken baffoon came in the the venue, put his beer on a table and proceeded to jump on to the stage area and tried getting the mic off me to sing the song.
I held him off and told him (a) if you want to sing you're welcome to but (b) there are other singers ready and (c) don't try nicking my mic off me.
When he did get up to sing - after some encouragement from myself and his family, I was giving him a big intro (assuming he was gonna be good at the song he so desperately wanted to sing - Suspicious Minds) and he stood there swinging the mic around!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I told him to stop that else I'll take it off him.

After all that - he was the worst singer of the night!!!!!!!!!!!

Penfold42
16-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Don't you just love wannabe's.....:D

Two reasons why i've not gone into Karaoke.....one is mentioned above...
The other ....I can't sing...:p

Well at least you got out of it alright....:)

KerriLeigh
16-07-2008, 12:03 PM
I get this sometimes! (Im a vocalist) - I get idiots comeing over and screaming down my mic!! Its so irritating!

DazzyD
16-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Drunken numpties - don't ya just love 'em? (NOT!!!) :D :D :D

This is a risk of the job but you seemed to have handled it well, Martin. Well done! :approve:

ppentertainments
16-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Well done, think you handled that well and kept your cool. I don't use expensive mic's for karaoke for that reason but still hate it when people abuse them. This is one reason I do karaoke / disco. If it does get too bad and a risk of damaged equipment I go onto disco. It states in my karaoke T&C I will do this - never had any complaints and think it has saved a lot of people from embarassing themselves (too much)

Nile
11-08-2008, 05:44 PM
ah yes - when one of my usual Friday nights............
I love karaoke Friday me..........
NOT!

Jays karaoke
11-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Gotta be honest, i would't have put him on to start with.

Penfold42
11-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Gotta be honest, i would't have put him on to start with.

.....and Martin takes a crystal ball to every gig, didn't you know that?

'My names Martin, I'm your entertainment for your Karaoke night.....Oh BTW.....the drunk sat over there....don't even think it....'

....good start to the night.....come on!!

Jays karaoke
12-08-2008, 08:22 PM

'My names Martin, I'm your entertainment for your Karaoke night.....Oh BTW.....the drunk sat over there....don't even think it....'

....good start to the night.....come on!!

You've got me wrong Penmare, if he had been in all night then fair enough. The issue is that he didn't turn up until a few songs from the end sozzled, he then jumps on the stage and tries to take this guys mic.
All i am saying is, is that i would have just told him that there was no more time for requests and that i had enough singers in.
Karaoke is there to be fun and enjoyable for all (including the KJ) and it's yobs like this guy who spoil it for all on too many occasions.
Not saying this guy handled it wrong or anything, it's just what i would have done.

Jay

Penfold42
12-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Fair comment....:)

I'm not a KJ...so have not been in that situation .....but have had drunk people come up and ask for mics.....as we all have.

I think he handled it correctly.....

Jays karaoke
12-08-2008, 08:31 PM
He did, he diffused what could habe been a nasty situation had he have taked the assertive option and told him to do one.
I have provided karaoke for 13 years and you soon learn when these types of people come in so late and act like that, that you need to not let them sing as it often end in tears, but sometimes, and only sometimes which this guy was lucky enough to have, it's best just to get them on and then they dissapear.
I often have people asking for the mic when i'm djing and i only lend it out for speaches etc but never for people singing over the track i am plaaying.
You let one do it and they all wanna do it and then it becomes a dodgy karaoke.

Nile
12-08-2008, 08:36 PM
always difficult - if you turn em down do u upset em more and cause more hassle?
I had a drunk lass the other night - kept SHOUTING over the dance floor while other were trying to sing to be on next at every opportunity. Didnt even have the poiliteness to come and ask.
Kept putting her further back in the end as she was trouble. Eventually she threw her toys outa the pram and left. No loss....................
;-)
Nile

Please don't get into the habit of using text talk. Admin.

rob1963
13-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Two reasons why i've not gone into Karaoke.....one is mentioned above...
The other ....I can't sing...:p

Exactly the same here!

:D

Nile
13-08-2008, 01:17 PM
always difficult - if you turn em down do u upset em more and cause more hassle?
I had a drunk lass the other night - kept SHOUTING over the dance floor while other were trying to sing to be on next at every opportunity. Didnt even have the poiliteness to come and ask.
Kept putting her further back in the end as she was trouble. Eventually she threw her toys outa the pram and left. No loss....................
;-)
Nile

Please don't get into the habit of using text talk. Admin.

wats txt tk thn m8 ?
:sorry:

Corabar Steve
13-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Ha Ha, So funny.

Please read the forum rules.

KaraokeDJ
14-08-2008, 08:24 AM
If it does get too bad and a risk of damaged equipment I go onto disco. It states in my karaoke T&C I will do this - never had any complaints ...

Just catching up on few threads and saw this reply, and what a good point to make in T&Cs. Hope you don't mind if I 'borrow' the idea for my booking forms...?

Martin

:rofl:

...if he had been in all night then fair enough. The issue is that he didn't turn up until a few songs from the end sozzled, he then jumps on the stage and tries to take this guys mic. [snip] i would have just told him that there was no more time for requests and that i had enough singers in.

Hi Jay. The reason I let the guy have a sing was that I'd let someone else in his group have a sing (who was actually very good and did a good job of 'Penny Arcade' - a good crowd pleaser) so I couldn't hide the fact I had time for a singer or two. Plus, I thought it might settle him down and stop him thinking I was being awkward by stopping him earlier. I was just trying to please everyone - including him.

Kinda like Nile said...

Karaoke is there to be fun and enjoyable for all (including the KJ) and it's yobs like this guy who spoil it for all on too many occasions.

Very true indeed!!!

jims magic karaoke
28-09-2008, 06:25 PM
why do they try to spoil everyones enjoyment you handled the situation the only way you could have done good luck the next time

KaraokeDJ
30-09-2008, 05:32 AM
Thanks Jim... And, :welcome2:

Corabar Steve
30-09-2008, 08:01 AM
why do they try to spoil everyones enjoyment you handled the situation the only way you could have done good luck the next time

Thanks Jim... And, :welcome2:

& please take the time to introduce yourself in the Newbies Section

KaraokeDJ
30-09-2008, 08:17 AM
& please take the time to introduce yourself in the Newbies Section

Oh yes, like Steve said... I actually thought of adding that when I responded earlier and then my phone rang... and well, you know what it's like - I forgot!