PDA

View Full Version : School Disco - I don't believe it!!!

KrazyKaz
17-07-2008, 03:30 PM
My 10 year old daughter came home from school today and told me

"School disco cancelled because there is no one to do it"

Hmmm.................

Now.......... 1) I could jump in and offer my services, or 2) wait and see if they contact me.

2nd option is unlikely as I have offered my services before (for free) and been told NO - the head wants to keep control.

It's a real shame, I live opposite the school too.

OllieJames
17-07-2008, 03:37 PM
The primary school i used to go to (5 years ago :p) have a disco next wednesday and the DJ pulled out. So they rung me and i'm doing it now!

Dragonfly
17-07-2008, 03:39 PM
that's a shame Kaz ........ did you enquire exactly what "the head wants to keep control" actually meant???

is it a regular occurance for you to incite riots and general anarchy at childrens discos Kaz?? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

KrazyKaz
The primary school i used to go to (5 years ago :p) have a disco next wednesday and the DJ pulled out. So they rung me and i'm doing it now!

Nice one, but I can't see that happening here, I don't think the head likes me much - lol

Solitaire Events Ltd
I've just got back from doing a year 6 disco....

Just the one a year is fine...

Dragonfly
17-07-2008, 03:41 PM

indeed any more than that Daz and the little blighters become a tripping hazard for you don't they mate :D :D :D :D :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

KrazyKaz
17-07-2008, 03:43 PM
that's a shame Kaz ........ did you enquire exactly what "the head wants to keep control" actually meant???

no interaction with the kids

is it a regular occurance for you to incite riots and general anarchy at childrens discos Kaz?? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yes :lol: - seriously, kids just have loads of fun at the gigs we do

UltraBeat Entertainment
17-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Sorry to hear about that kaz. Hopefully he'll come round

I haven't done a "younger" school disco for ages:(

Penfold42
17-07-2008, 03:49 PM
indeed any more than that Daz and the little blighters become a tripping hazard for you don't they mate :D :D :D :D :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

LMAO.....:D

Excalibur
17-07-2008, 03:50 PM

My respect for you has now totally disappeared Sir! :eek: Be a man like the rest of us who do them, in fact that's where I'm going now. :D

" Ave Imperator, Morituri Salute" ;) :D :D :D

They're always a hazard. :eek:

KrazyKaz
17-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Thing is they usually have a member of friends(PTA) do the disco. Equipment consists of cd decks (last disco only one side worked), mixer, amp, all sat in an old kitchen cabinet and 2 speakers on stands(all equipment owned by the school) no frontage.

Music is usually played from the current Now series, and alot of songs played 3 times. At most they use 3 cds!

No interaction with the kids, so the boys usually slide on their knees etc.

The Head will stop the music if she sees one piece of litter on the floor.

A couple of weeks ago, I did a school disco for kids aged 4-11 years (lovely little school, the Head was great)
I did party dances with the kids and they all said thanks at the end.

I suppose, some you win, some you lose!

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Actually, I've done 2 at the school this year (both freebies) and the teachers couldn't believe how many people I got dancing in comparison to the last few years when they tried to run it themselves.

discomobiledj
17-07-2008, 07:17 PM
I done one on Tuesday for a leavers do, and it was the easiest 90 minutes of my life (apart from the PC not working when I turned it on!) All they wanted to listen to was the modern chart stuff, and a couple of classics, Oops Upside Your Head was a massive hit.

Excalibur
17-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Actually, I've done 2 at the school this year (both freebies) and the teachers couldn't believe how many people I got dancing in comparison to the last few years when they tried to run it themselves.

A whole two? I apologise Darren, you are the main man. :D :D BTW, if someone like Propeller comnes up with the correct version of my Latin quote, I'd appreciate it. ;) :D

JAMdisco
18-07-2008, 07:51 AM
My respect for you has now totally disappeared Sir! :eek: Be a man like the rest of us who do them, in fact that's where I'm going now. :D

" Ave Imperator, Morituri Salute" ;) :D :D :D

...if someone like Propeller comnes up with the correct version of my Latin quote, I'd appreciate it. ;) :D

It's "Ave imperator! Morituri te salutant"
and for those who don't know, it means
"Hail, Emperor! Those who are about to die salute you"

Am I a Latin Guru?
No!
A Google Guru :D

OneSteve
18-07-2008, 01:16 PM
I had this last year for a Halloween party at the local Primary School where my daughter attends nursery. Disco was to cover Three parties of differing ages from nursery kids to 11/12 year olds.

Got a call from my wife on a Friday afternoon at 4pm that their "DJ" had let them down, she had been told this from the secretary. I told her I would step in but for my usual fee of £200. No, came the reply, the other guy only wanted £40 !! :eek:

After 10 minutes or so I couldn't get the image of all the little uns (including my own & her friends) being upset at no disco, out of my mind. So offered to do it for a one off of £40.

Had a great time, left my cards and informed them of the dangers of hiring someone who charges £40. He did their xmas doos but let them down again this year for the end of term dances. I got a call again, but had to say no, once is unfortunate, twice is a joke. :bang:

Jiggles
18-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Luckly the primary school i disco at understands me :D

KrazyKaz
18-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Well.......

I went across the school this morning, gave one of my cards to my daughters teacher, who said she would pass it on to the head.

Before I had chance to leave the premises, the head had come up to me and asked me to go to her office for a chat.

Disco was scheduled to start (Key Stage 1) 5.30 - 6.30 (Key STage 2) 6.45 - 8.00.
The Head explained that she had no one to do the disco - plus only one side of the decks worked, and that also, there were not enough adult helpers for supervision.

She then decided that perhaps if she had the disco during school time, at least the teachers would be there to supervise.

Anyway, she asked if I would do the disco. :lol: As I'm a soft touch I said yes, as I wouldn't like to see the children disappointed. Also said I would do it on the condition that I used my equipment, not theirs. And I'm doing it free of charge as my daughter still has another year there.( nothing like a bit of free publicity)

I live literally across the road from school, so no problem getting there.

I'm doing 2 x 45 mins sets :lol:
Approx 300 kids (150 in each Key Stage)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Jiggles
18-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Nice bit o' arm twisting :D

Penfold42
18-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Well done.....I know you'll do them proud...:)

KrazyKaz
18-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Well done.....I know you'll do them proud...:)

Thanks mate :)

Mayhem 1
18-07-2008, 09:14 PM
You go girl, rim em up hunni

I told you !!!

KrazyKaz
19-07-2008, 09:02 AM
You go girl, rim em up hunni

I told you !!!

I know you did hun, but I really wasn't sure. But, I think the Head must have taken a happy pill, because (as you know) when I have offered my services before she has flatly refused. :lol:

Corabar Steve
19-07-2008, 12:01 PM

Yes how are the ribs now Daz? :sj:

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Yes how are the ribs now Daz? :sj:

Very nice with a jacket potato and corn on the cob. :D

Corabar Steve
19-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Stop it, I haven't had brekkie yet.

theoloyla
19-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Now I dont want to cause trouble but....a recently closed thread caused much controversy when a poster said he had taken a 6.5 megawatt soundsystem out on a Wednesday night for only £200. Here are people praising someone for doing a gig for free. I am not criticising either as I understand why both parties did what they did and I might have done the same but doesnt it smack of double standards?

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Now I dont want to cause trouble but....a recently closed thread caused much controversy when a poster said he had taken a 6.5 megawatt soundsystem out on a Wednesday night for only £200. Here are people praising someone for doing a gig for free. I am not criticising either as I understand why both parties did what they did and I might have done the same but doesnt it smack of double standards?

Of course it doesn't. I did the disco free because my daughter is at the school. That is a completely different issue.

Ask any parent who is a DJ or involved with the industry and you'll find nearly all will have done a freebie for their kids school at some point.

djsteve10
19-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Of course it doesn't. I did the disco free because my daughter is at the school. That is a completely different issue.

Ask any parent who is a DJ or involved with the industry and you'll find nearly all will have done a freebie for their kids school at some point.

When my brother was in primary school i did all their xmas parties for free, he has now moved to high school i still provide there but i have been doing before he has started and have always charged the school a very discounted fee.

KrazyKaz
19-07-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm doing this for free as I do kids discos mostly anyway, and the last thing I want to see is 300 disappointed 4 - 11 year ols. Also my eldest daughter went to the school and my youngest daughter still does.

Mayhem 1
21-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Nice one Kazz,

My main primary school is where my wife works and my not so little children went they left years ago but I still do all their parties and fete free.

There is absolutly nothing wrong with doing it either, because the number of private parties I have picked up has been amazing

theoloyla
21-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Like I said I wasnt criticising anyone for doing a freebie for their local school or charity or family etc. I do the same I just thought the contrast with criticism of the bloke who charged £200 on a Wednesday for a massive show was interesting.

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-07-2008, 11:07 AM
If it was for his kids or a charity then fair enough, but it wasn't, so there's no comparison really is there?

KrazyKaz
21-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Update:

School Disco today was........... AWESOME!!

What an afternoon! 2 x 45 mins sets. Never had so many kids do Cha Cha Slide at once (approx 100).

Teachers and assistants were dancing, the Head had a boogie too.

At the end of each set, the Head asked the kids to sit down and then told them - 3 cheers for Mrs Wright (me) :lol:

At the end of the last set (once the kids had all cheered) I was presented with a box of Celebrations - wow, I love chocolate :lol:

Overall, I was so glad I did it, it was wonderful to see all those smiling happy kids.

I'm now extremely exhausted, because I did all the dances too, and then lugged the gear across the road to home. But, hey, I'm just on a high now :)

DazzyD
21-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Well done, Mrs Wright! Jobs a good 'un!

Andy Westcott
21-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Must be something in the air - I did a freebie for my local primary school on Friday last, and also got some choccies!

Glad you made an impression - keep up the good work!

Mayhem 1
22-07-2008, 06:47 AM
Nice one there Wrighty!!!

Perhaps the staff have now realised what an entertaining person they have living over the road.

Well done mate

daz226
24-07-2008, 11:47 AM
i have done 2 disco's at my daughters school free its a pleasure to give something back to the local area and the kids love it.

i also do a childrens christmas disco every year for the british legion and my fee goes to support the troops which as you know is a vital charity as a ex soldier 12 years i am proud to do that.

i am glad it went well for you and i bet the head ask's you back as she will now see the differance of quality that you was able to provide

Penfold42
24-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Update:

What an afternoon! 2 x 45 mins sets. Never had so many kids do Cha Cha Slide at once (approx 100).

At the end of each set, the Head asked the kids to sit down and then told them - 3 cheers for Mrs Wright (me) :lol:

At the end of the last set (once the kids had all cheered) I was presented with a box of Celebrations - wow, I love chocolate :lol:

Overall, I was so glad I did it, it was wonderful to see all those smiling happy kids.

I'm now extremely exhausted, because I did all the dances too, and then lugged the gear across the road to home. But, hey, I'm just on a high now :)

Glad to hear it went well.....but then I always knew the outcome.....:)

flatliners
28-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Update:

chocolate mmm but remember a moment on the lips is a life time on the hips

soundmaster mobile disco
08-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Wonder why so many school discos are cancelled because of the dj pulling out or not turning up?

When will they learn!