PDA

View Full Version : Well fancy that...

KaraokeDJ
03-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Hi everyone.
Had a fantastic karaoke night on Friday, had a mass singalong for the last hour with a dozen or so singers on the stage and the rest of the room joining in.... Finished on a mega high, what a buzz!

However, talking to the landlord on Satuday he told me he expected ME to pull more people in and be MORE ENTERTAINING!

This is a venue 25 miles from me, where I know no-one. I don't even know anywhere out there except the venue itself. How the heck can I be responsible for pulling people in? If I was working local I can get people in.

This is surely his responsibility to promote his entertainment?

He has other entertainers, one of which is a vocalist who does a bit of dress-up to entertain the customers for half-hour. The rest of the night is karaoke and a bit of disco. But that is not me!!!

I do a great karaoke night, why would other venues invite me back and pay me top rates if I was crap? Furthermore, although I can sing (quite well if I may say so) I'm not a stand-up comedian/vocalist/impressionist like the other guy he employs, but I do get people up singing, I have a great banter with customers and get a heck of a lot of "thank-yous" at the end from all ages. I also do a fun half hour kids disco set midway through the night that gets a full dancefloor...

What more can I do? Or did I do right by telling the landord to 'shove it'!!!?

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Some venues expect the earth, don't they.

A lot of managers expect you not only to perform, but to bring a load of 'your' people with you too.

Oh, haven't you got a following you can bring? Sometimes they seem more interested in that than the quality of the entertainment.

djsteve10
03-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Did you explain the situation as to you are not the same as the Impersonator, singer, cabret act but you do go out of your way to drive your show to the best of your ability and keep a smile on his customers faces which make them come back time and time again.

theoloyla
03-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Did he advertise you? Does he advertise other acts? He said he expected you to pull more in; so he obviously THOUGHT you had a following or something that would appeal to the locals. The question to ask him is "Why did you think I would pull more in?" and then try to find the reasons you didnt. Was there something elso on locally, was the weather or TV to blame etc

KaraokeDJ
04-08-2008, 07:29 AM
Some venues expect the earth, don't they.
Oh yes.... And a little bit more...

Did you explain the situation as to you are not the same as the Impersonator, singer, cabret act but you do go out of your way to drive your show to the best of your ability and keep a smile on his customers faces which make them come back time and time again.

Yep! I told him that there are many people who have come back on the nights I've worked and asked me when I'm back. You don't get customers coming up shaking your hand if they've had a crap night.

Did he advertise you?
No.

Does he advertise other acts?
No. The difference is that the 'other acts' are on at weekends. I do not work there at weekends as I keep my saturday's for weddings etc.,

He said he expected you to pull more in; so he obviously THOUGHT you had a following or something that would appeal to the locals. The question to ask him is "Why did you think I would pull more in?" and then try to find the reasons you didnt.

I asked 'how' did he expect me to pull people in and he said 'I dunno, I just thought you would'. If I was working locally I could pull people in but not 25 miles away. Maybe once in a while your friends might drive 25 miles, not drink, and drive home, but not on a regular basis.

Was there something elso on locally, was the weather or TV to blame etc
It's at the coast so lots of factors. Fuel costs, general cost of living, bad weather we've had a lot of weekends.

501damian501
07-08-2008, 05:27 PM
do the cash flow, sounds like to me that he wants you to promote the night, ive known managers to tell djs to bring at least 50 people with them or they are not playing on the night, just yet him know that promoting cost moneys.

CRAZY K
07-08-2008, 05:54 PM
A friend of mine plays in a Live Band on the pub circuit in the Watford area.

Its the same problem---the publican wants to know how many people the Band will bring with them--they are known and successful in the area--but its not their job to bring a lorry load of their friends.

Its up to the Publican---who is just looking for an easy ride.

I understand the problem but dont know theres a lot more you can do.

CRAZY K