PDA

View Full Version : Website Feedback

RADiscos
06-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Hi all,
I have just put online a website I have designed for our DJ Business, It would be great to get some feedback from people on what you think of it, what could be done better or what could be added.

If you get the time please take a look.

http://www.randa-discos.co.uk

Many thanks.

DJWilson
06-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Hi,

looks good but some pages go to wide and have to scroll to the right to see the rest and i wouldnt have a facebook like on my site IMO.

Tom
06-09-2008, 02:04 PM
If it was me I would loose the equipment page. No client really cares much about what you use, more the fact that the night is a sucess and everyone has a grea time.

Also looking at your online calander, you dont seem very busy. Only got 2 dates up and they are both as "busy". If it was me I would loose that aswell.

Just my opinion. :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-09-2008, 02:18 PM
You are called R&A discos and yet when you click on your home page it comes up with a big karaoke banner - it's a bit confusing.

rob1963
06-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Hi all,
I have just put online a website I have designed for our DJ Business, It would be great to get some feedback from people on what you think of it, what could be done better or what could be added.

If you get the time please take a look.

http://www.randa-discos.co.uk

Many thanks.

Hi there,

I've had a quick look and there were a few things I noticed.

You're called R & A discos, your small heading says you provide discos AND karaoke, but the large heading at the top of every page says karaoke...which is all a bit confusing.

The site's content needs checking, as I found many errors with grammar & spelling.

I also think the text should be darker, as it's not particularly easy to read at the moment.

Your contact page has a contact form & fax number, but nothing else. Do you not have a landline & mobile phone number which people can contact you on?

Your site is a little wider than my screen, resulting in the need to scroll from left to right in order to see the last few letters of some words, which I found annoying.

Lose the equipment page, as clients aren't interested. The various bits of equipment are merely the tools of your trade. It's like a decorator having pictures of his dust sheet & paint brushes on his website! What counts is the service you provide.

Hope this helps.

:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-09-2008, 03:04 PM
You are called R&A discos and yet when you click on your home page it comes up with a big karaoke banner - it's a bit confusing.

You're called R & A discos, your small heading says you provide discos AND karaoke, but the large heading at the top of every page says karaoke...which is all a bit confusing.

:whistle:

rob1963
06-09-2008, 03:34 PM
:whistle:

Darren,

I didn't see your comment until I'd entered my post...you must have posted while I was looking at the website & working on my post!

:p

RADiscos
06-09-2008, 07:30 PM
If it was me I would loose the equipment page. No client really cares much about what you use, more the fact that the night is a sucess and everyone has a grea time.

Also looking at your online calander, you dont seem very busy. Only got 2 dates up and they are both as "busy". If it was me I would loose that aswell.

Just my opinion. :)

Hi,
Thanks for the comments I can make changes to the equipment page and yes your right maybe I'll loose that page. With regards to the calander that has not long been added, I was looking for an online calander other then the google one but haven't come across one, with the Google calander you can't change the it to booked etc it only has the option for busy.

If you know of an online calander that I could use to replace the Google one I would appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback, do you think I should remove that part? (The Banner)

Hi there,

I've had a quick look and there were a few things I noticed.

The site's content needs checking, as I found many errors with grammar & spelling.

I also think the text should be darker, as it's not particularly easy to read at the moment.

Your contact page has a contact form & fax number, but nothing else. Do you not have a landline & mobile phone number which people can contact you on?

Your site is a little wider than my screen, resulting in the need to scroll from left to right in order to see the last few letters of some words, which I found annoying.

Lose the equipment page, as clients aren't interested. The various bits of equipment are merely the tools of your trade. It's like a decorator having pictures of his dust sheet & paint brushes on his website! What counts is the service you provide.

Hope this helps.

Rob,
Thanks for your feedback it's appreciated, I will remove the equipment page and change the text colour as well. Can I ask what pages you had to move to the left or the right of to see the words I have a 19" screen so I don't see the problem if you could advise on the pages I ammend them as well.
I'll also run a spell checker over all pages as well.

Thanks again.

Vectis
06-09-2008, 09:50 PM
With the Google calander you can't change the it to booked etc it only has the option for busy.

If you know of an online calander that I could use to replace the Google one I would appreciate it.

:confused:

http://www.vectisvibe.com/pages/diary.php

Works a treat for me :o

Also, I don't entirely agree with removing the equipment page as I've had feedback from customers who felt that mine were quite helpful.

Example:
http://www.vectisvibe.com/pages/lighting.php

I think you've made the mistake of building an equipment page of interest only to other pros rather than Joe Average.

RADiscos
06-09-2008, 10:39 PM

Also, I don't entirely agree with removing the equipment page as I've had feedback from customers who felt that mine were quite helpful.

Example:

I think you've made the mistake of building an equipment page of interest only to other pros rather than Joe Average.

Thanks for the feedback, can I ask how you got your Google diary to work and show like that?

Thanks.

RADiscos
06-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Hi all,

Ok I took in the feedback and made some changes to the site, can I ask what you think of it now?

Thanks.

rob1963
07-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Rob,
Thanks for your feedback it's appreciated, I will remove the equipment page and change the text colour as well. Can I ask what pages you had to move to the left or the right of to see the words I have a 19" screen so I don't see the problem if you could advise on the pages I ammend them as well.
I'll also run a spell checker over all pages as well.

Thanks again.

Hi again,

Most of the pages need a little bit of scrolling to see the full width, but the worst culprit is the latest news page.

I only have a 17" screen, but I'm sure that's still a pretty popular size.

Marc J
07-09-2008, 08:37 AM
A general rule is that you should design pages to be viewed at 1024 x 768, most well made websites look OK at this resolution. That's probably a bit dated, as larger screens with bigger resolutions are getting cheaper and cheaper, but I imagine it will take some time for a larger resolution to become the "norm" for design.

You also have to remember that people don't necessarily use their browser at full screen if they have a larger monitor. The advanatage of a bigger screen is that you can fit more windows in it, I run at 1600 x 1200 but still have my browsers set to open at 1024 x 768 each time, as most websites actually look a bit silly at 1600 x 1200 ;)

Vectis
07-09-2008, 09:08 AM
My visitors' most common resolution is 1280x1024 - by FAR - 3:1 over the next most popular 1024x768 and then others are marginal by comparison.

I do still get the occasional 800x600 viewer too.

Marc J
07-09-2008, 12:24 PM
My visitors' most common resolution is 1280x1024 - by FAR - 3:1 over the next most popular 1024x768 and then others are marginal by comparison.

That's quite surprising - I just did a quick check on a few of my site's stats and 1024 x 768 is still the most popular at usually over 50% of visitors, then 1280 x 1024 next at around 15%.

Maybe they're generally better off on the IOW ;)

RADiscos
07-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Ok,
I have now made a number of changes to the site following all your feedback, can I ask what you all think of it now.

Thanks again.

RADiscos
07-09-2008, 05:13 PM

Example:

Hi,
I have taken a look at your Google Diary, how are you able to change your
Show me as?

I can only get the following to show in my diary?

Available
Busy

rob1963
08-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Hi,
Show me as?

Available
Busy

What else would you want to show for a diary date other than available or busy?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

By the way, I've looked at your site again, and think it looks a lot better with the improvements you've made.

Vectis
08-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Hi,
Show me as?

Available
Busy

I don't.

I insert an all-day booking called 'BOOKED' or 'Available' or whatever. If you're starting with a blank diary do an endless repeat and it will pre-fill with 'Available' then just go through and knock out the busy days. Takes 5 minutes.

I actually have several calendars in one, but only the VV one is displayed to the public. I have one stream for example called 'Where Am I' with basic booking details. Another that a regular corporate customer of mine has access to for booking information against a residency. etc. etc.

RADiscos
08-09-2008, 08:55 PM
I don't.

I insert an all-day booking called 'BOOKED' or 'Available' or whatever. If you're starting with a blank diary do an endless repeat and it will pre-fill with 'Available' then just go through and knock out the busy days. Takes 5 minutes.

I actually have several calendars in one, but only the VV one is displayed to the public. I have one stream for example called 'Where Am I' with basic booking details. Another that a regular corporate customer of mine has access to for booking information against a residency. etc. etc.

Thanks for the answer to my question, but what do you mean by "do an endless repeat and it will pre-fill with 'Available' " how do i do that can you advise at all?

Thanks.

Vectis
09-09-2008, 07:21 AM
Create an all-day appointment and then click the 'Edit' link, check 'Repeats' & select the frequency (daily, every third Tuesday or whatever) and the default 'Ends Never' and Bob's your uncle.