PDA

View Full Version : speakon leads?

One Vision
07-09-2008, 08:34 PM
I am looking for some good quality speakon to speakon leads 5m.
Ive seen quite a few for sale but unsure what you would consider good quality speakon leads?
Is it just generally the thicker the cable the better and with Neutrik Speakon fittings and usually classed as heavy duty Speakon cables?

Excalibur
07-09-2008, 08:52 PM
The bigger CSA (Cross Sectional Area ) the better, and Neutrik are apparently the canine's dangly bits.

One Vision
07-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Trouble is all I have seen is "heavy duty" or "High quality" :confused:

Jiggles
07-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Watch out for Fake speakon connectors :D

One Vision
07-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Yeh am not gettin em of ebay lol
I was thinking of maybe getting some over sized ones maybe 25m and extra plugs and make some spares up too

A1DL
07-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Trouble is all I have seen is "heavy duty" or "High quality" :confused:

Hi Karl

Generally, those terms mean they are exactly the opposite, which is usually reflected in the price of ready made leads on ebay, which often fall apart after a few uses.

For decent audio cables, Vandamme and Klotz are amongst the best brands, and always insist on Neutrik connectors.

4-core HO7 is also quite widely used with NL4s in pro audio.

Tony

One Vision
07-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Hi Karl

Generally, those terms mean they are exactly the opposite, which is usually reflected in the price of ready made leads on ebay, which often fall apart after a few uses.

For decent audio cables, Vandamme and Klotz are amongst the best brands, and always insist on Neutrik connectors.

4-core HO7 is also quite widely used with NL4s in pro audio.

Tony

Thanks Tony, I had a feeling that may be the case with them not giving any real specifications, I would probably never buy them from ebay anyway but also seem to have limited info on the Internet shops too so the reason for this post.
I'm not looking for a the worlds best but like you say leads that are decent quality cable and fittings, minimum loss etc.

DazzyD
07-09-2008, 10:42 PM
I bought mine from a dealer who (I believe) had made them up himself as they weren't packaged/branded. Not that I was bothered as they consisted of genuine Neutrik Speakon connecters joined together with high-grade Oxygen-Free Copper (OFC - use this for all my speaker & microphone cables as they offer the least resistance) cabling. They weren't cheap but they're really good leads and I wouldn't swap them for anything.

But I think that's the key. Find a supplier/dealer who uses the best quality components and you'll never look back.

Excalibur
08-09-2008, 06:46 AM
I got some very high grade cable from Maplins, at a great price. Bad news? They were obviously selling it off, as they don't stock it any more! Knew I should have bought the reeel! :bang:

mldiscos
08-09-2008, 07:47 AM
you can get neutrix leads from terralec,

http://www.terralec.co.uk/audio_leads/neutrik_speakon_to_speakon_cable/26310_p.html

A1DL
08-09-2008, 08:40 AM
But I think that's the key. Find a supplier/dealer who uses the best quality components and you'll never look back.

or learn to solder

mldiscos
08-09-2008, 01:33 PM
speakon leads aren't solder joints they are screw terminals on all speakon plugs

A1DL
08-09-2008, 02:35 PM
speakon leads aren't solder joints they are screw terminals on all speakon plugs

The comment was with regards to making leads in general... XLR, TRS and SOCA are all soldered.