PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use these?

gaza
16-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Hi guys
Does anyone use one of these starcloths with a ultimax stand.

http://www.djkit.co.uk/product.php?id=1787&highlight=star%20cloth

Because in the review on that listing page, someone has said that these starcloths are a bit short for the ultimax stand.

Also how strong are they, could they tear easily when you are stretching them out?.

gaza
17-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Hi guys
Does anyone use one of these starcloths with a ultimax stand.

http://www.djkit.co.uk/product.php?id=1787&highlight=star%20cloth

Because in the review on that listing page, someone has said that these starcloths are a bit short for the ultimax stand.

Also how strong are they, could they tear easily when you are stretching them out?.

So, is there nobody using one of the above starcloths with a ultimax stand?:confused:

Vectis
17-09-2008, 01:52 PM
I do. I use the 1.7m ultimax and the cloth, with a couple of extension pieces to the velcro on the two sides, stretches nicely between the two vertical poles.

I guess that with the 1.6m you wouldn't need to extend the velcro.

As for the cloth itself, I wouldn't buy another one. It's made of crinkly nylon which is a bit of a cow to get to hang properly without looking like it's creased, and even though it's been looked after quite well I've already had to remake the DIN connector at the controller end twice, and fix a broken cable inside the cloth itself. Also, it's not quite black - it's more of a dark grey charcoal colour.

gaza
17-09-2008, 01:59 PM
I do. I use the 1.7m ultimax and the cloth, with a couple of extension pieces to the velcro on the two sides, stretches nicely between the two vertical poles.

As for the cloth itself, I wouldn't buy another one. It's made of crinkly nylon which is a bit of a cow to get to hang properly without looking like it's creased, and even though it's been looked after quite well I've already had to remake the DIN connector at the controller end twice, and fix a broken cable inside the cloth itself. Also, it's not quite black - it's more of a dark grey charcoal colour.

Hi Vectis
I have the smaller 4ft stand.
So they are not all that good then. Would you recomend any of the others, are any other ones made of a thicker cloth?.

Vectis
17-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi Vectis
I have the smaller 4ft stand.
So they are not all that good then. Would you recomend any of the others, are any other ones made of a thicker cloth?.

This would be too wide for the 4' stand - you'd be wrapping it back on itself and I'm not sure how it would attach properly.

It's not that the cloth's not thick - I've not had any issues with tearing or stretching - it's just not the nicest material I've seen and the overall quality of the device isn't great.

Others on here have suggested looking for 'serge wool' cloths as these hang better and are generally a nicer look etc. but I've not tried one.

gaza
17-09-2008, 02:10 PM

How about these,
http://prolight.co.uk/item/star25/

Allthough i dont like these ones as much.

Vectis
17-09-2008, 02:13 PM
How about these,
http://prolight.co.uk/item/star25/

Allthough i dont like these ones as much.

Still the same brand therefore likely same construction, and why are you looking at a 2.2m cloth for a 1.2m stand? If you're looking to wrap around three sides then you need to measure the depth, double it and add to 1.2.
Or get clever with clamps/clothes pegs etc. behind the scenes :p

gaza
17-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Still the same brand therefore likely same construction, and why are you looking at a 2.2m cloth for a 1.2m stand? If you're looking to wrap around three sides then you need to measure the depth, double it and add to 1.2.
Or get clever with clamps/clothes pegs etc. behind the scenes :p

i am a litle confused now, it states that it is for a 1.2mtr stand, yet the dimensions state the cloth is 2.2 x 1 mtr, and there cant be a whole mtr to go aound the sides?

Vectis
17-09-2008, 03:21 PM
So how deep are your sides (to the upright bar)? If they're 50cm then it should fit well.

Mine doesn't - it only reaches to the pole supporting the overhead and that needs some velcro extensions to make it happen.