PDA

View Full Version : A few karaoke questions

The_Blue_Dragon
27-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi people,
Sorry for all the questions but Im still learning. This week as you will know Ive been sorting my karaoke collection and its slowly building up. At the beginning of the week I purchased a new mixer for when Im doing just a Disco but then decided Id like to maybe try karaoke.

So:-
1, Will THIS (http://www.geminidj.com/ps02usb.html) mixer be ok to run a laptop and 2mics for karaoke?

2, What would you say the smallest screen you would use for karaoke? as I will be buying a PC TFT screen as it will have better quality than linking my laptop to a tv.

3, Is there such thing as budget wireless mics that will be ok for karaoke but still be reliable and clear? I need 2 but dont want one of them with 2 mics and 1 base as Id like to be able to change the volume on both mics incase there is a loud singer and a quiet singer.

4, Whats the minimum number of songs you would get before starting with karaoke?

6, Is there any templates about for song slips that people will fill in when they want to sing

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-09-2008, 12:41 PM
1, Will THIS (http://www.geminidj.com/ps02usb.html) mixer be ok to run a laptop and 2mics for karaoke?

Not if you want to use an external soundcard and use two separate channels. It all depends on your budget really. I use a Numark 200FX for karaoke as it has extra mic channels and an effects processor, which is simple but effective. Behringer make a few budget mixers that could be used for karaoke too.

2, What would you say the smallest screen you would use for karaoke? as I will be buying a PC TFT screen as it will have better quality than linking my laptop to a tv.

For singers, I use a 19" tft, but anything above 15" would be fine as they don't generally stand that far away from the screen.

3, Is there such thing as budget wireless mics that will be ok for karaoke but still be reliable and clear?

Kam do a set of UHF mics that are fine for karaoke and they are about £130

4, Whats the minimum number of songs you would get before starting with karaoke?

I'd say it's quality rather than quantity. You need to make sure you have all the songs that people want to sing and these generally are all the classics rather than having loads of new tunes.

6, Is there any templates about for song slips that people will fill in when they want to sing

You can make these easily on a PC or if you want to buy, you'll find they are relaticely inexpensive.

What happened to Q5? :p

The_Blue_Dragon
27-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks for that, I had heard people saying not to bother with the KAM ones are they dont last long at all.

As for the mixer it has 3channeld and I thought thats all Id need. 1 for the laptop and 1 for each of the mics?

djsteve10
27-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Well for karaoke and PA hire I use http://www.soundlightuk.com/Karaoke/ub1832fx.htm

There are more cheaper models on from Behringer which have less channels ect so could be worth a look at.

The_Blue_Dragon
27-09-2008, 12:50 PM
I cant believe how expensive this is all going to be lol, as its only realy my hobby its turning out a very expensive one

JAMdisco
03-10-2008, 09:39 AM
I cant believe how expensive this is all going to be lol, as its only realy my hobby its turning out a very expensive one

I don't often venture onto this part of the forum as I don't do karaoke.

Regarding 'doing it as a hobby' - I pressume you'll be charging for your karaoke nights. If so, then it's not really a hobby, it's a self employed business and yes, they can get very expensive.

You have to think about PLI, PAT, Produb and replacing/maintaining equipment, vehicle insurance and a whole lot more.

You'll also need to register with the Inland Revenue within 3 months (I think)as a business and complete a tax return every year (so make sure you keep receipts for EVERYTHING - you'd be surprised how much a good accountant can save you)

Hope this helps you decide what to do and if you need any business advice, there is a Business section on this forum that should answer any questions.

Good luck :D

ppentertainments
03-10-2008, 12:10 PM

I get the free business cards from vistaprint and instead of name adress etc, put in required info ie song, artist etc. I also include my details on the bottom of the card and have had a few enquiries from people who have taken my request card away with them - cost is only a couple of quid for 250.

I know it is a hobby but be careful how much you are spending. I spent a small fortune on karaoke equipment and it is only use once or twice a month.