PDA

View Full Version : Does the following exist?

djadamhill
06-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Hi I've been doing kids parties for a number of years but with no direction really I've just been plodding along but I have decided to get serious with my business as I have recently become full time as an entertainer and really want to sort my kids shows.

I was wondering if there are any ebooks or online magazines etc I can print out and read and kind of get an idea of what people are doing at the moment advice hints and tips etc.

Also is there a one stop shop for kids entertainers where we can get everything we need in one place prizes give aways etc at trade prices.

Any help would be grately welcomed

Adam

ppentertainments
06-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Someone is going to get told off for not introducing themselves in the newbies section :D :D

To answer your question, I have never came across any advice pages. Mr Mayhem has given some good guides on this forum and if you are stuck with any particular area post it on here and am sure people will help if possible. I have a lot of cash and carry places round here where you can get prizes etc really cheap but to be honest the amounts you have to buy would last me years. I find ebay and looking at 'end of line' sections are the best places. Wilkinsons is also good for novelties if you have one near you.

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Someone is going to get told off for not introducing themselves in the newbies section :D :D

What are you saying? :eek: :D

Say hello in the newbies section Adam and you'll find people generally are more helpful.

UltraBeat Entertainment
07-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Welcome.

I know there are a few past topics about games and activitys to do at childrens partys in here if you take a took uner "childrens entertainment forum"

Tip: Try using the search tool and enter "childrens games";) most definitely worth a read, some really useful stuff.

Also i haven't come across and entertainers shop before but I've found Asda has a good selection of prices, sweets and party stuff. Worth a look.

The only tip i can give about doing childrens partys is always have a plan. Know what your doing next, with what music and for what prices. This has been a life saver for me:)

KrazyKaz
07-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Poundland is also a good choice for prizes, sweets etc as does Teasco, Asda, Sainsburys.

There are a few websites for "party games" ideas (just type party games in search engine)

Bouncy Dancefloor
03-12-2008, 08:15 AM
personally i get the parents to buy sweets if they want them, some can be funny about lollipops etc

i Supply glow bracelets (buy them off ebay about £30 for 1000) and bright stickers (which just happen to have my website on!) about £30 for 2000

karl james
16-05-2009, 07:23 PM
I don’t do prizes. Just the fact they have won is good enough, if a game is going on too long then declare those remaining the winner, then move on. I wouldn’t really do too much on the songs for your winning performance, that is if they are under ten.
I usually put in loads of spiel about telly programs they watch like x factor and Britain’s got talent. Maybe play a track for them to sing along to and compare it like it’s the real deal. You need to be really silly like getting up doing the dances with them. They usually say they know the dance routine but kids like to follow the leader so you can make it up as you go along. Maybe its worth practicing in front of You Tube for tracks like cha cha slide and the like. Have fun and get into, faze yourself out of the fact there are other adults watching you. Just think to yourself that you are getting paid and they wouldn’t do it unless they were legless.
I usually put on a really over the top transatlantic DJ voice. OK you wouldn’t get away with it at an adults gig but it goes down well at kids disco. I think the voice is really important. Make your gig like it’s a telly show and pretend you are confident as anything even though you maybe bricking it. Lastly have a break halfway through for the kids to have food and cutting the cake. Most of all never let it run for more then 2 hours. Kids can usually be tired.

Tom
17-05-2009, 11:26 PM
For prizes, I make sure that the client arranges this. Most of the time, I am given a big bag of sweets, which most kids would be happy with with as a prize.

Games wise, I talk to client and ask he he/she has any iudeas of games they would like to play. Most games I play are musical bumps/statues/opposites.

Was taught a few new games tonight (did a kids football party). They were Beans and Fork, Knife and Spoon.

Fun and silly games but the kids seem to like them so it's ok with me. :)

JDB Entertainment
17-05-2009, 11:46 PM
Tom can you explain that game please! :D

Tom
18-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Tom can you explain that game please! :D

Which one? lol

DJ Jules
18-05-2009, 06:37 AM
They were Beans and Fork, Knife and Spoon.

Start going to Haven, Park Dean, etc for holiday's - you'll learn alot (but probably wish you hadn't!) and you'll also pick up alot of ideas about which songs the kids all know and what they'll all get up and dance to. You'll also see how to run games without prizes (as they never give out any except for the bigger games and competitions).

I agree with the advice above though, forget about the parents, be silly and enjoy yourself!!

The Beans and Knife/Form/Spoon games are varients on ye olde musical bumps/statues/etc. Basically when the music stops, the DJ shouts out a word, and the kids have to get into position (depending on what the DJ shouts). For Beans, it's baked bean (curl up), runner bean (run on the spot), string bean (stretch up high), broad bean (make yourself wide) and then if you want to get adventurous - beans on Toast! (all cram into an imaginary peice of toast in the middle of the dance floor!) There's lots of other "bean theme" poses (Chilli bean, mexican bean, french bean, jelly bean - just use your imagination!)

For Knife/Fork/Spoon it's the same principle, except it's Knife (stand up tall), Fork (stand up tall with arms out like fork prongs) and Spoon (stand up and make a spoon shape with your arms). I've seen some good variations of this though with a bowl (where you have to hold your arms out in front of you in a circle and say "I'm a Bowl" and with a sound added to the Spoon position "Scooooop".

I've also seen another variation work really well, both at Park Dean and when I've tried it. You need everyone in pairs, and then the four positions are "Piggy Back", "Donkey Derby" (one down on all fours, the other on their back), "Row Row" (pairs sat facing each other, link hands and sing "Row row your boat") and Wheelbarrow. It's a really good active game and it's great if you can get the parents involved as well.

Hope that helps a little?

Julian

JDB Entertainment
18-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks julian.

I used to be a Bluecoat for Pontins! :D

But that was one I had never heard of... apart from the beans part!

James

Tom
18-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Start going to Haven, Park Dean, etc for holiday's - you'll learn alot (but probably wish you hadn't!) and you'll also pick up alot of ideas about which songs the kids all know and what they'll all get up and dance to. You'll also see how to run games without prizes (as they never give out any except for the bigger games and competitions).

I agree with the advice above though, forget about the parents, be silly and enjoy yourself!!

The Beans and Knife/Form/Spoon games are varients on ye olde musical bumps/statues/etc. Basically when the music stops, the DJ shouts out a word, and the kids have to get into position (depending on what the DJ shouts). For Beans, it's baked bean (curl up), runner bean (run on the spot), string bean (stretch up high), broad bean (make yourself wide) and then if you want to get adventurous - beans on Toast! (all cram into an imaginary peice of toast in the middle of the dance floor!) There's lots of other "bean theme" poses (Chilli bean, mexican bean, french bean, jelly bean - just use your imagination!)

For Knife/Fork/Spoon it's the same principle, except it's Knife (stand up tall), Fork (stand up tall with arms out like fork prongs) and Spoon (stand up and make a spoon shape with your arms). I've seen some good variations of this though with a bowl (where you have to hold your arms out in front of you in a circle and say "I'm a Bowl" and with a sound added to the Spoon position "Scooooop".

I've also seen another variation work really well, both at Park Dean and when I've tried it. You need everyone in pairs, and then the four positions are "Piggy Back", "Donkey Derby" (one down on all fours, the other on their back), "Row Row" (pairs sat facing each other, link hands and sing "Row row your boat") and Wheelbarrow. It's a really good active game and it's great if you can get the parents involved as well.

Hope that helps a little?

Julian

You got it. ;):D

I don't usually do kids party's. I have a regular client who keeps coming back to me for a disco with the presentation.

3 hours of disco and games. All is good. :)

flatliners
18-05-2009, 08:50 PM
here is i good one if you have intelligent lighting ( scanners moving heads ect ) point one in each corner of the room and put a differnt colour on each and when the music stops they have to run to a coloured corner and if that colour is called out then the kids in that corner are out

Tom
18-05-2009, 09:06 PM
here is i good one if you have intelligent lighting ( scanners moving heads ect ) point one in each corner of the room and put a differnt colour on each and when the music stops they have to run to a coloured corner and if that colour is called out then the kids in that corner are out

There is a game like that called corners. I believe I got it from here.

I play the game with football teams. Who ever is in a corner (West ham for example) is out.

Game it quite quick mind you.

andyw
18-05-2009, 09:14 PM

take this a step further put your light boxes on random then stop them what ever colour is lit is out, :sofa:

StarZSoundS
11-08-2009, 07:26 PM
You might like to try google search....Wet Head.....(NOT GOOD AT LINKS).

We have had a lot of fun with this....with adults and children.

Happy to explain!!