PDA

View Full Version : Skipping??? Help Me!!!

Baze
12-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Hi all,

Last night was the first night i used my new Warrior PSR15a Powered Speakers and i have to say that they were AMAZING!! I also used my new Numark CDN35 CD Player and CM100 Mixer. I had a few problems though!!??

For the first hour everything was going great but then.......... I was playing a song and it started to skip. I thought it was the CD so i changed to the other CD drive and this song started to skip. I was now having major heart pulpitations!!!! Anyway i carried on and the skipping stopped for a while but after about half an hour it returned.

I was playing alongside a band so when they fired up i switched everything off and checked all the connections which seemed to be fine. After the band had finished i started again. Everything was fine but soon the skipping would reappear for a bit then go STRANGE!!!

Has this happened to any of you before had does anyone know why and what i can do to sort it?????

Corabar Steve
12-10-2008, 11:22 AM
No idea other than possible vibration or a combination of a dirty lens & scratched CDs. Go digital you don't get these problems.

BTW "Skipping??? Help Me!!! "

I so wanted to reply "Sure, which end of the rope do you want me to hold"

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Try a lens cleaner in your players. Don't they have anti-shock?

Corabar Steve
12-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Anti-shock doesn't always help against vibration. One of my old Denons started skipping intermittently & I cleaned the lens & it was still there. I discovered the cause was the speaker tripod making contact with the leg of the Ultimax. Once I made sure there was always a gap between stands the problem went away.

Dragonfly
12-10-2008, 11:59 AM
don't ask me about skipping it's pretty flippin impossible these days :D :D :D

Penfold42
12-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Condensation maybe?

soundtracker
12-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Condensation maybe?

That's typical of today's condensation culture!!! Where there's blame. there's a claim!

Penfold42
12-10-2008, 02:47 PM
That's typical of today's condensation culture!!! Where there's blame. there's a claim!

:lol:...........:D

...i've just also thought of another reason.....

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/903184-Skippy-Brisbane.jpg

theoloyla
12-10-2008, 05:56 PM
In my experience if the CD player is anti shock then it will be down to dirty/scratched cd's or a dirty lens or faulty/broken lazer.

nigelwright7557
12-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Hi all,

Has this happened to any of you before had does anyone know why and what i can do to sort it?????

I was silly enough to buy a second hand Cd player off ebay.
It lasted one gig before the CD's started skipping a lot.
I tried a lens cleaner and it made no difference.
I stripped it down and gave it a good clean out and that made no difference either.
I even tried it with the speaker in one room and teh Cd player in another and it still jumped.

I can only guess this "hardly used" cd player off ebay was well and truly just worn out.

So I bought a new one and that is fine so long as I dont sit the cd player on top of a speaker and play loud !

DazzyD
12-10-2008, 09:51 PM
I did a gig where the cabaret was a duo drag act (along the lines of Silk Stockings if anyone's ever seen or heard of them - only nowhere near as good!). They gave me their CD to play their music (I was using Sony CD players at the time) and it kept skipping. The cause? It was a raised stage (so hollow underneath) and they were prancing about in high heels! I had my speakers positioned off the stage but the only space for the rest of my kit was the back corner of the stage.

From that point forward it was anti-shock CD players and mini-disc!

Corabar Steve
13-10-2008, 06:59 AM
I was silly enough to buy a second hand Cd player off ebay.
It lasted one gig before the CD's started skipping a lot.
I tried a lens cleaner and it made no difference.
I stripped it down and gave it a good clean out and that made no difference either.
I even tried it with the speaker in one room and teh Cd player in another and it still jumped.

I can only guess this "hardly used" cd player off ebay was well and truly just worn out.

So I bought a new one and that is fine so long as I dont sit the cd player on top of a speaker and play loud !

Oh wow! Deja-vu!

yourdj
13-10-2008, 07:32 AM
lens cleaning cd and some thick foam under decks or heavy paving slab. same as vynal issues in busy clubs etc. If i were you i would save up and get a new control unit or better still buy DENON. never had any problems what so ever.

welby
13-10-2008, 07:56 AM
Great choice of speakers BTW....er I use these and I am very pleased with mine.

I had an issue with skipping on my KAM twin cd player and like most peeps I cleaned the lens by taking the twin cd's apart, but even that didn't cure it. (It was only one side).

I noticed that when mounting the cd players in the flight case. Usually in the bottom slot there was a slight ridge at the bottom of the case and so when sliding in the cd player it wasn't sitting correctly in the flightbox, it was at an angle.

So to overcome this I got some foam and laid it underneath the cd players and made sure that when sliding them in the flightcase they are mounted perfectly horizontal with the foam underneath.

Now, I don't get any skipping and even tapping on the flightcase doesn't afffect the cd playing.

I guess it's the quality of the cd players that you use and the effectiveness of the anti-shock. Some systems are better than others.

I only use my KAM's as a back up, but I need to be sure that they work ok if ever needed.

Hope this helps?

Shakermaker Promotions
13-10-2008, 09:00 AM
I DJ'd in a venue once where the space I had to set up in was very very tight. I had my speakers close to me and a couple of times the Pioneers skipped on a couple of tracks that were previously fine. I put it down to vibration. There is nothing worse than tracks skipping as it makes us look un-professional and even though it's not our fault, the public always like to think it is and let you know this too. Solution - Digital!!

theoloyla
13-10-2008, 09:47 AM
I used to use separate Denon cd players. The were lovely to use and read any disc but they didnt like bouncy floors etc. When ever I played "Come On Eileen" and certain other tracks I would have to remember to pick up the player and hold it when the audience were about to stamp their feet! Eventually I bought a KAM twin CD with anti shock and I have never had that problem since.

Baze
13-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Ahh im thinking it could be the cd player not being mounted correctly. purchased the flight case from DJ Store and when it arrived it was nothing less than shoddy!! Nothing fitted correctly, the carpet was peeling off and in some places was non exsistant! I managed to do a few alterations so it looked half decent but i think that could be the problem. Gonna do a bit of trial and error to try and sus this annoying problem.

Thanks for your help.