PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Anyone selling a smoke/fog machine

idisco
13-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Is anyone selling a fog or smoke machine. Not bothered what but preferbally not very expensive and with a controller.

Please PM me if you do have one
Thanks from idisco.

Vectis
13-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Knowing your financial position from other recent posts, I'd be inclined to head off down to Maplins and buy one of their £29 jobbies - these are fine for most jobs and I keep one for parties that demand smoke rather than haze - I've had it for about 3 years with no issues.

Secondhand machines are probably not worth the hassle unless you can really trust the seller, and when you take postage into account option a) seems sensible.

Dragonfly
13-10-2008, 07:43 PM
sorry got rid of mine about 2 weeks ago. just about everything else though

yourdj
13-10-2008, 07:46 PM
The little plastic haze machines are great. I have one in the club (2000 sft) and its more than enough. They wont last forever though!

discomobiledj
13-10-2008, 08:28 PM
I had one of the maplin ones, work a treat and for £29 you can't go wrong.

Ajaysdisco
13-10-2008, 09:18 PM
How often will you need it?
Cheap as chips is a can of smoke! :p

Maplin (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=20746&&source=14&doy=search)

I don’t know how much luck you have had but 9.8 out of 10 venues don’t allow smoke, its been over 5 months since I've used a fog machine!

yourdj
13-10-2008, 09:58 PM

Maplin (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=20746&&source=14&doy=search)

I don’t know how much luck you have had but 9.8 out of 10 venues don’t allow smoke, its been over 5 months since I've used a fog machine!

Yes, i don't use one anymore apart from the club. it lays dormant in the garage on almost all gigs.

spend the money on my spare LED par can LOL

ppentertainments
13-10-2008, 10:06 PM
I would heed the advise given strongly. A fog machine is the LAST thing you need unless you have a regular venue where you can use one

Vectis
13-10-2008, 10:39 PM
How things differ, huh?

I can count on one hand the number of local venues who WON'T let you use haze.

DazzyD
13-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Normally I'd say avoid smoke machines (I think I did in a recent post!) but I've a booking in 4 weeks where the birthday girls wants that very effect. It's an afternoon party (2-5pm) and may be quite light so I'm going to use a bit haze to set the lights off a bit better.

Maplins is probably your best bet for cheap kit but you can buy a decent machine for about £40 from most kit shops.

Just remembered that you said you had £60 to spend on lights and smoke so I'm not sure where to go! :(

Shakermaker Promotions
13-10-2008, 11:29 PM
The party I did on saturday was in a school. The caretaker asked me as I was setting up "Do you have a smoke machine, if so, you can't use it!!" I explained to him that I had a haze machine which was different and he took some convincing. He even said "If it sets the alarms off then it's down to you and Hampshire Fire and Rescue and you know how much they charge for call outs" (He was laughing as he said it). I simply replied "Trust me".

At the end of the night he said to me "I think I'll tell everyone from now on that Haze is ok"

Dragonfly
14-10-2008, 06:57 AM
indeed i have not worked a venue other than one regular one in 2 years that has allowed a smoke or a bubble machine.

gaza
14-10-2008, 12:55 PM

I tried one of those cans of spray haze, it said on the tin that the haze will last a hour or so, but the haze only stayed in the air for about 5 mins.:eek:

What a waste of time.

DJ Frankie
14-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Mmmm these haze machines sound great, how do you guarantee that they dont set alarms off? Do you position them in a certain area etc?

Vectis
14-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Mmmm these haze machines sound great, how do you guarantee that they dont set alarms off? Do you position them in a certain area etc?

You can't. But the level of particulates they generate is so much lower than a smoke machine this significantly reduces the chances of triggering some alarms.

Those alarms that are heat rather than smoke sensors are unaffected.