PDA

View Full Version : Advice for making website better

idisco
13-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Has anyone got any advice on how to make my webpage better. Needs improvement(i think)

Shaun
13-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Please take a moment to ensure you're posting new topics in the most relevant forum section

rob1963
13-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Has anyone got any advice on how to make my webpage better. Needs improvement(i think)

Hi idisco,

On your home page, there is a mixture of the words "I" & "we" when describing what you do. I would decide on one OR the other & stick with it.

Your pricing page says a mobile disco with lights, bubble machine & balloons is £50. Is this correct? If so, I don't see how you can make a profit. Also, what type of work do you think this will attract? Just something to think about.

On the policies page, the second paragraph has spelling errors with the words "decrease", "apologise" & "inconvenience" and the third paragraph should start with a capital letter.

Also, the phrase "It is not our problem if a guest injures themselves" doesn't sound too good. I'd change "It is not our problem..." to something like "we will not be liable"

You also state "We have no equipment which can cause injuries" which I think you should delete, as I don't think it's true. Couldn't someone trip on any of your gear, for example?

On your contact page, I would add an actual email link as well as a phone number, preferably a landline.

On the gallery page, I think you should remove the pictures of the equipment you use & replace them with pics of people dancing & enjoying themselves at your gigs.

Finally, I feel that some of your wording & phrasing needs looking at, as it could do with a bit of improvement in places to make it clearer / more business like.

Hope this helps.

:)

Jiggles
13-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Add me to MSN. Ill see what i can do for ya :D

One Vision
13-10-2008, 08:24 PM

Hya mate, do you have any specific questions/ideas in mind?

Ajaysdisco
13-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Don’t take this the wrong way;
One quick point, is the review on the bottom from a legitimate person?

Our Latest Customer Reviews

5.0 out of 5
It was the best party i ever had all thanks to idisco.
Jonh Smith - 11 October 2008

One Vision
13-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Don’t take this the wrong way;
One quick point, is the review on the bottom from a legitimate person?

Our Latest Customer Reviews

5.0 out of 5
It was the best party i ever had all thanks to idisco.
Jonh Smith - 11 October 2008

I guess not :)

Ajaysdisco
13-10-2008, 10:27 PM
I do know a John Smiths :p

rob1963
13-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Come on folks...let's give idiscos some help here!

Ajaysdisco
13-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Well I was giving a subtle hint, POSSIBLE fake comments can put people off.

I can’t say much more it's a nice simple website, easy to navigate, gallery needs improving BUT pictures can be added after various gigs.

Just remember to KISS ;)

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Vectis
13-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Come on folks...let's give idiscos some help here!

OK.

The site is obviously a work-in-progress but

1) Get it off the free host and lose everything that's not disco-related or that could draw browsers away from your site

2) I run Safari. Everything is shown in two shades of white - the text background and the window or <div> background are different - this makes everything look very 'blocky' and I think, after peeking at the source code, much of this is down to the very liberal use of &nbsp;s all over the place... hundreds of them!

3) Spelling and grammar are atrocious. They need some serious attention - some paragraphs simply don't make sense and are difficult to read.

4) The liability agreement is awful and really ought to be looked at by a professional as just now it's not worth the paper it's printed on.

5) The equipment pages are perhaps the worst of the lot in terms of content and presentation. You might be excited by your 'toys' but most folks really don't care about equipment pages (having said this I have equipment pages but they are carefully designed to be meaningful to Joe Public rather than other DJs).

Address this lot and it will be a much nicer experience ;)

ppentertainments
13-10-2008, 11:32 PM
I do not mean to be cheeky and may be totally wrong so forgive me and do not be offended if what I say is untrue.

Are you going to get much business from a website ? My guess would be at the moment no. With your age and experience I would imagine you doing discos for friends, family and other people who know you - nothing wrong with this great way to get experience. However if this is the case you would probably be better off with a really simple site for now with just the basics and contact details.

IMO no-one will book you from your gallery pics of your equipment - so don't put one in. The 'liability' bit, as well as not being very good, is trying to make out you are bigger than you are. Simply loose it.

Most of all sort out some colour scheme though - it is hard on the eyes.

DazzyD
14-10-2008, 01:24 AM
I have to agree with Martin in that your attempt to waive liability if someone gets injured simply wouldn't stand up in court. You cannot just deny your legal and health & safety obligations. This is why PLI is so important.

I've noticed that you have a proper domain name. Well done! But do you own it? If so there are loads of web-design packages out there which will do a much better job. Try Serif WebPlus 8 - it's now free! (I'll post a link later). MS Publisher can do websites. Or, better still, get someone who knows what they are doing to build a site for you. Much easier!

I'm not going to repeat what others have said - it's all good advice - but at least you're trying to do better by getting advice from this forums members. I think you may end up doing well! (but please don't get too attached to your pricing structure - a good DJ is worth far more than £50-£60!)

Marc J
14-10-2008, 09:06 AM
I've noticed that you have a proper domain name. Well done! But do you own it?

He does? To me it seems he's using http://www.own-free-website.com, with a hotmail email address :confused:

...there are loads of web-design packages out there which will do a much better job. Try Serif WebPlus 8 - it's now free! (I'll post a link later). MS Publisher can do websites. Or, better still, get someone who knows what they are doing to build a site for you. Much easier!
:agree:

I agree with everything the others have said, so won't repeat it. My advice would be get a proper domain name, get off your free host and start again, I'm afraid.

idisco
14-10-2008, 04:18 PM
I dont know who put the comment on but we did do a party fpr a smith.

discomobiledj
14-10-2008, 05:00 PM
For a cheap website why don't you just buy a Mr Site website and hosting package. You can get them from about £20 for the first year, Yes it does have it limitations but it gives you a professional looking website.

A1DL
14-10-2008, 06:06 PM
I quote from your site:

"Just make space for us in your garden and give us a plug and we can entertain your guests l"

is this some kind of magic show... do you make the plug disappear or turn into a rabbit?

just curious, you know ;)

Ajaysdisco
14-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Do you mind me asking about how you are planning to do this?

“We have to externally link every single song to our site. When the feature is in full operation it will be a great help to you.”

That may take a few links!

One other point is, I don’t like the box you get when you right click.

DazzyD
14-10-2008, 10:51 PM
He does? To me it seems he's using http://www.own-free-website.com, with a hotmail email address :confused:

Actually, Marc, I think you're right. When I first saw the site I looked at the address bar and saw this "http://www.idisco.page.tl/". I saw the idisco bit and thought that it was a proper web domain (bearing in mind the time of my post!). I now see the "." and realise that it's just a subdomain so I do apologise for my error.

I really must refrain from posting at silly hours when the only reason I'm awake is because some numpty had walked past the house whistling loudly at an ungodly hour and woke me up and I couldn't get back to sleep!

I agree with everything the others have said, so won't repeat it. My advice would be get a proper domain name, get off your free host and start again, I'm afraid.

The best part of my web host deal is unlimited POP3 email addresses in the form of ***@lightningdisco.co.uk. I think proper email linked directly to your business is invaluable nowadays. It gives a very professional image IMO. I wouldn't be without it.