PDA

View Full Version : advice on domain name

Dragonfly
15-10-2008, 08:49 AM
just a quickie on all my talk of retirement i have recieved an email from someone wanting or at least interested in purchasing my domain name .... can i sell it? how do i sell it? and how on earth do you put a value on something like that?

all info greatly recieved many thanks.

ppentertainments
15-10-2008, 11:28 AM
It is possible but unsure how. When thinking of a price do not forget all the directories which still have a link to your site and take this into account. If getting good hits at moment people may still hit the site after it has been sold. Also would this include selling your Dragonfly Disco name ??

Jiggles
15-10-2008, 11:29 AM
If it unique enough you could get a bit for it!

Marc J
15-10-2008, 11:56 AM
If it's the dragonflydiscos.co.uk then to transfer it to another registrar (to essentially give someone else control over it) you simply change the IPS tag (currently FIBRANET) to the one given by the purchaser. This will give them control over it, allowing them to change the nameservers etc to point it to the hosting of their choice.

However, this will keep you as the legal registrant. Unlike .com's etc., there is no easy way to change the legal registrant of a .co.uk, you have to contact nominet and fill in a form, and there is a charge for this (see www.nominet.org.uk for details).

As for putting a value on it - I'm afraid not much - but if someone actually wants it then it's worth whatever they're willing to pay.

Do they want a website to go with it? :D I've got a good demo site which would suit the domain just fine ;)

nigelwright7557
20-12-2008, 09:06 PM
If it unique enough you could get a bit for it!

Its only worth what you can get for it.

There used to be a big thing of people buying up special domain names and holding companies to ransom. The law doesnt allow that now. If you buy say a Woolworths domain name and Woolworths object or want it then you have to give it up free of charge. This is because you would be misrepresenting yourself pretending you were Woolworths.