PDA

View Full Version : Pub wedding clothing

Tom
18-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Ok, I have a wedding reception tonight in a pub.

As it's a wedding I was going to wear my suit (as I would anyway) but do you think this is over doing it???

Just wanted some opinions on this

Shaun
18-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Over the top, no. Dress for the occasion, not the type of venue. :approve:

Excalibur
18-10-2008, 12:59 PM

As it's a wedding I was going to wear my suit (as I would anyway) but do you think this is over doing it???

It's a piece of string question. Some pubs I'd wear a suit. ( Boiler suit. ;) :D :D ) Others would merit the full Monty. ( Our younger readers will not realise that this is not a reference to taking all my clothes off. Wikipedia should help. ;) :D :D )

Edit: Shaun, I disagree there. Be a Chameleon, blend in with your surroundings.

Tom
18-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks for that guys. Full suit all the way. :)

djsteve10
18-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Why not put on your booking form an option for what the client would like the DJ to wear,

My booking form has the options at the bottom.

Dress Code:

Smart Casual (Shirt & Trousers) [ ]

Semi Formal (Suit) [ ]

Formal Evening Wear (Dinner Suit, Tuxedo) [ ]

Sorry for the double post, I could not edit my other post for some reason so Admin or MOD's could you please delete my earlier post.

Thanks

Vectis
18-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Suit up, then if you get there and it's a bit dumpy with the guests rolling up in jeans & trainers, then lose the tie & jacket. Easy :)

Jiggles
18-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Sorry for the double post, I could not edit my other post for some reason so Admin or MOD's could you please delete my earlier post.

Done :)

Shaun
18-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Edit: Shaun, I disagree there. Be a Chameleon, blend in with your surroundings.

Fair do's. I guess it comes down to personal preference. I'd never do a wedding in anything less than a suit.

wensleydale
18-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Fair do's. I guess it comes down to personal preference. I'd never do a wedding in anything less than a suit.

but a fair few people would never do a wedding in a suit.

go with what you feel comfortable in tom.

BeerFunk
18-10-2008, 01:32 PM

Just wanted some opinions on thisThis might sound simple, but why not just take off your jacket and hold it if you feel you're over 'dressed' :)

Shaun
18-10-2008, 01:36 PM

Hence my "personal preference" comment. ;)

wensleydale
18-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Hence my "personal preference" comment. ;)

exactly - i was agreeing with you and saying to tom to do what his personal preference is.

Shaun
18-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Glad that's all cleared up then. :d

501damian501
18-10-2008, 02:00 PM
maybe we should have a poll on this ?

Tom
18-10-2008, 02:03 PM

go with what you feel comfortable in tom.

I was going to wear a suit anyway but I woiulf just feel a little over dressed as it's a pub. I'm not knocking the venue at all. This is what they can afford as well as booking me, buying food ect. :)

This might sound simple, but why not just take off your jacket and hold it if you feel you're over 'dressed' :)

Might just do that if I do become over dressed. lol

Will be taking some pictures tonight. It's going to be a small rig with some uplighting. :)

Penfold42
18-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Image anyone?

http://www.barteramericas.com/AndrewFezzaDeluxeTwoButtonTuxedo1.jpg

or

http://static.paulsmith.co.uk/images/originals/jeans-ss08-100002-15169-15169.jpg

I'm not suggesting that you go dressed as any of these....but come on....do you really have to think about it!

OK different dress for drifferent gig's but most of mine I wear the black suit and tie.......first impressions last.

I was going to wear a suit anyway but I woiulf just feel a little over dressed as it's a pub. I'm not knocking the venue at all. This is what they can afford as well as booking me, buying food ect. :)

I don't think you will, even in a pub.

It's you company and image you are promoting here. If I was to see someone making a effort like that .....I would remember them as I would ask for a card.
:)

kilmeedyman
18-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Without guidance form the bride and groom, you could not be criticised for wearing a suit as the DJ whatever the occasion. You'll be fine with what you suggest.

wensleydale
18-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Image anyone?

http://www.barteramericas.com/AndrewFezzaDeluxeTwoButtonTuxedo1.jpg

or

http://static.paulsmith.co.uk/images/originals/jeans-ss08-100002-15169-15169.jpg

I'm not suggesting that you go dressed as any of these....but come on....do you really have to think about it!

OK different dress for drifferent gig's but most of mine I wear the black suit and tie.......first impressions last.

I don't think you will, even in a pub.

It's you company and image you are promoting here. If I was to see someone making a effort like that .....I would remember them as I would ask for a card.
:)

i think a dinner suit when no one else is wearing one looks very wrong.

especially with a waistcoat.
only thing worse might be the waistcoat without the jacket.

DazzyD
18-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Why not put on your booking form an option for what the client would like the DJ to wear,

Dress Code:

Semi Formal (Suit) [ ]

I agree with Steve. That's why we give the client the choice of what the DJ wears (smart casual or formal). How else would we know what the client wants?

Penfold42
18-10-2008, 05:45 PM

Dress Code:

Semi Formal (Suit) [ ]

I agree with Steve. That's why we give the client the choice of what the DJ wears (smart casual or formal). How else would we know what the client wants?
And how many clients return a form completely filled in correctly.....or is it a Lincolnshire thing....:D :D :D :D

Don't see this........and if your guests can't even be bothered to show up dressed smartly, then I think they are also rude.

Why stoop to their level.

Dragonfly
18-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Don't see this........and if your guests can't even be bothered to show up dressed smartly, then I think they are also rude.

i agree my learned friend. :D :D

DazzyD
18-10-2008, 06:55 PM
And how many clients return a form completely filled in correctly.....or is it a Lincolnshire thing....:D :D :D :D

Thing is, Tone, I fill in the form in over the phone during my initial consultation with the client and send them a booking summary with my T&Cs for them to sign. That way, I get the info I need to do the show to the best to my ability. From my time in telesales, I know how to get the answers I need without sounding like I'm reading from a form or script. I think these skills are invaluable in closing sales and obtaining bookings. They've certainly helped me in this business!

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-10-2008, 07:01 PM

Some people have no idea and even less style.

and if your guests can't even be bothered to show up dressed smartly, then I think they are also rude.

Exactly. It's a respect thing. So many people are impressed because we bother to wear a DJ or tie and waistcoat (which incidently is very trendy these days)

You carry on wearing 'what you feel comfortable with' and we'll carry on ticking every single box, rather than just a few.

nigelwright7557
18-10-2008, 08:29 PM

Its best to turn up in jeans and T shirt, put up the gear then change into something a bit better. So long as its smart I cant see a problem.
I would never wear a suit unless I was a guest as well.

Penfold42
18-10-2008, 08:34 PM
i agree my learned friend. :D :D
:eek: :eek: :eek: .....I feel offended.....:D :D :D

Thing is, Tone, I fill in the form in over the phone during my initial consultation with the client and send them a booking summary with my T&Cs for them to sign. That way, I get the info I need to do the show to the best to my ability. From my time in telesales, I know how to get the answers I need without sounding like I'm reading from a form or script. I think these skills are invaluable in closing sales and obtaining bookings. They've certainly helped me in this business!

I like that.....good idea :) ....but I try not to bore customers too much with items like that.....not saying you do...:p :D ....but dress code should be what you 'would' like you company image to be.

Not what you feel comfortable in. :)

DazzyD
18-10-2008, 09:08 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: .....I feel offended.....:D :D :D

I like that.....good idea :) ....but I try not to bore customers too much with items like that.....not saying you do...:p :D ....but dress code should be what you 'would' like you company image to be.

Not what you feel comfortable in. :)

That's the thing, Tone, the outfits we wear do reflect the company image - professional with a hint of fun! And they are very comfortable to work in (I learnt this from when I was a postman. Royal Mail were pretty good at choosing the best materials for their staff to do their job - a philosophy I think I've carried forward in to what I do now!).

But it's no good following company dress code if the client wants you to dress like a clown for a kids party! It's my policy that what the client wants the clients gets! (or at least we'll try our very best!)

Penfold42
18-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Again...fair point.....but going back to the original post....

...it is a wedding and therefore slots into suit time, well it does IMO.

rob1963
19-10-2008, 12:13 AM

Indeed.

I like to be dressed similarly to everyone else when I'm working, so for weddings that usually means a shirt, tie & trousers.

That would also apply to a wedding in a pub. If it turned out they'd dressed down, I'd probably remove my tie.

Tom
19-10-2008, 12:19 AM
Its best to turn up in jeans and T shirt, put up the gear then change into something a bit better. So long as its smart I cant see a problem.

Well like all of my gigs I do, I turn up in camo bottoms and wear my NADJ polo shirt. I then get questioned about this then explain who they are. All helps. :)

I setup up, then as I was a wedding I did wear a full suit and it made me feel a bit over dressed as some of the people were only wearing jumper and jeans like the grooms father for example. I know I did the right thing and have got another 4 bookings with the same people. Happy as larry me. :).

...it is a wedding and therefore slots into suit time, well it does IMO.

As said above. :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Indeed.

I like to be dressed similarly to everyone else when I'm working, so for weddings that usually means a shirt, tie & trousers.

And if people turn up in jeans and t-shirt?

Rise above everyone else.

Classy looks get classy prices.

501damian501
19-10-2008, 01:16 AM
i never wear t shirts anyway, i only wear shirts "proper shirts" and jeans with shoes, none of this trainer and tracksuit rubbish.

rob1963
19-10-2008, 08:32 AM
And if people turn up in jeans and t-shirt?

I haven't yet had a wedding where the majority of people turned up in jeans & a t-shirt.

Rise above everyone else.

Classy looks get classy prices.

I dont think you can increase your prices just because you start wearing more formal clothes, but they are interesting comments, Darren.

Excalibur
19-10-2008, 08:59 AM
I haven't yet had a wedding where the majority of people turned up in jeans & a t-shirt.

Majority, perhaps no, but I've done weddings in really posh venues where some guests turned up dressed as if they were going to paint the garden fence! :eek:

I don't think you can increase your prices just because you start wearing more formal clothes, but they are interesting comments, Darren.

Interesting indeed. ;) I've ordered the Saville Row suit, in advance of a hefty price hike. :D :D

rob1963
19-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Interesting indeed. ;) I've ordered the Saville Row suit, in advance of a hefty price hike. :D :D

Same here!

After all, if I can get away with charging £75 extra for 2 lights, I'm sure I can get away with another £75 for wearing a Saville Row suit!

:D

Corabar Steve
19-10-2008, 11:29 AM
How much would you suggest that I charge for wearing my Aquascutum suits then Rob?

soundtracker
19-10-2008, 01:31 PM

Should we feign surprise at this point!

How much would you suggest that I charge for wearing my Aquascutum suits then Rob?

Don't think they'll be very impressed if you turn up in Diving Gear Steve!!:D

rob1963
19-10-2008, 03:19 PM

It depends what they cost, Steve...although for some reason you don't strike me as a suit kind of person.

Corabar Steve
19-10-2008, 11:01 PM
I actually own more suits than pairs of jeans Rob. 8(inc dress suit) - 5

The cheapest Aquascutum suit are around £200 these days, mine are a few years old now, but weren't the least expensive.

rob1963
19-10-2008, 11:02 PM
I actually own more suits than pairs of jeans Rob. 8(inc dress suit) - 5

:jawdrop:

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-10-2008, 01:06 PM
I dont think you can increase your prices just because you start wearing more formal clothes, but they are interesting comments, Darren.

But how would you know if you don't offer the service?

Dragonfly
20-10-2008, 01:11 PM
I

depends very much on whether you are looking and thinking 1 dimensionally or 3 imo. :D :D :D :D

Penfold42
20-10-2008, 06:13 PM

depends very much on whether you are looking and thinking 1 dimensionally or 3 imo. :D :D :D :D

:clap: :clap: :clap:

BINGO!

I happen to agree with Dave here. :eek:
Look outside the box.....you will be surprised what you see....:D