PDA

View Full Version : Website Hosting

501damian501
21-10-2008, 06:25 AM
morning everyone, this is sumthing which has been on my mind for a while now, which web hosting do we all use ?, UK based or USA based, a quick search of the internet will tell us quickly enough places like the U.S are far more cheaper, does it really matter which country your hosting is coming from ?, cheers damian

Jiggles
21-10-2008, 07:13 AM
www.servage.net. Its German with UK servers but i haven't had any problems. 24/7 365 support. £4.50 per month.

Vectis
21-10-2008, 07:17 AM
does it really matter which country your hosting is coming from ?

Not especially, if you're only putting up a 'typical' half-dozen-paged static content site.

All other things being equal (tiering, speed & contention ratio of server), using a US-based host rather that a UK-based host is likely to add a very small latency overhead - anything from 20ms to 2/300ms - simply because of the laws of physics - and for highly interactive sites or those with lots of content this will become noticeable to the end user.

My advice? For a simple static site it doesn't matter. For anything more than this, go with a UK-based host, ideally Tier 1 (but they're not cheap) but certainly Tier 2 if you can afford it over a Tier 3 operator.

groove on discos
21-10-2008, 08:00 AM
thanks iv been thinking about this too =p

discomobiledj
21-10-2008, 08:02 AM
There are loads of hostiong incentives around at the moment. 123 are doing a £1 per month hosting for 6 months, 1 & 1 are offering buy one domain get another free when you buy hosting. Just shop around.

501damian501
21-10-2008, 08:46 AM
ive allways been told to steer clear from 123 and ive seen the deal on 1&1 and it sounds to good to be true lol

discomobiledj
21-10-2008, 09:00 AM
I use 123 and never had a problem, I have 4 sites with them. Never had problems with 1 & 1 either.

bank
21-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Personally I know people who use 123 and the service is good, although it is relatively hard to use, and I would steer clear of 1&1 their customer service is awful and overcharge you for most services. Have a look around, but there are some really good companies with fast customer service, its not to hard, but look through all the fine details, else you'll be caught out.

rob1963
21-10-2008, 03:00 PM
I used to be with Claranet, but left them due to large numbers of webstats not being picked up or included in their reports.

I now use this forum's very own Marc J.

Highly recommended.

:)

501damian501
21-10-2008, 04:19 PM
rob your braking the forums advertisment regulations i believe, ONLY JOKING :D :beer1:

Marc J
21-10-2008, 05:31 PM
places like the U.S are far more cheaper, does it really matter which country your hosting is coming from ?

Not especially, if you're only putting up a 'typical' half-dozen-paged static content site.

All other things being equal (tiering, speed & contention ratio of server), using a US-based host rather that a UK-based host is likely to add a very small latency overhead.

Actually, from a search engine point of view you should always host in the country of your target market. While VV is right about very little speed difference (I actually host a .co.nz New Zealand site on my server and they get good speeds to it), but as I said from an SEO perspective you're better sticking to a UK host.

I used to have an offering on DJ Bids before that disappeared. I mainly host for design clients only and so don't have a site you can sign up on, but PM me your requirements and I'll give you a price....

If that's OK with the mods / admins...if not, delete that part (not exactly sure of the rules since DJ Bids went) :)

Shaun
21-10-2008, 07:15 PM
If that's OK with the mods / admins...if not, delete that part (not exactly sure of the rules since DJ Bids went) :)

The rules are the same as before (for the time being). Those that previously advertised on DJ Bids may advertise in the old dj bids forum section, and may answer with regards to their service if a question was raised by a member. So your post is fine.