PDA

View Full Version : Networking

Excalibur
21-10-2008, 09:58 PM
But with computers. It's my night for pleading for help.
The modem ( Livebox)was originally connected to PC by Ethernet (RJ11? cable). Tech support reckon the extension it was on is causing the dropouts. So we've moved it to the main socket which is in another room, and I'm wireless on the laptop no problem. Question is, as a temporary measure, how can I connect the PC to the lappy so I can use it for surfing? Haven't managed it with the cable which used to join it to the livebox. What is the longest one of these I can get if I have to hardwire the livebox to the PC? Or is wireless easier? I hear horror stories.

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Have you got a router?

Excalibur
21-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Have you got a router?

Of course. I've got three actually. You can't do serious woodworking without one. But how does that relate to my problem? :confused:

Sorry about that, I'm beginning to become like Rob! No, which means I guess, no chance. We only started this late tonight, so no hardware. It looks initially as if the extension has been the cause of the problem,as far vas we can see on this limited trial.

Jiggles
21-10-2008, 10:38 PM
get a wireless USB dongle from argos and it will run like the laptop. If you dont get what I mean you can phone me like last time :D after 4pm tomorrow if you want. Or a long Ethernet cable but that more hassle IMO

Excalibur
21-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Callum, I actually understood that. Thanks. Sounds easiest way

Jiggles
21-10-2008, 10:52 PM
installing is the wonky part. It can be very easy and it can be very difficult! More often is easy youed be glad to know.

501damian501
21-10-2008, 11:07 PM
get a router i recommend a linksys router, read the info which comes with it, but basicly plug the modem into the router, then from the router i would use a wire to your pc, as you would get a better mbps rate using a wire than wireless, then set your laptop onto wireless, thats if it has a built in wireless capeabilities, if not a belkin usb dongle or sumthing would most probley work, i highly recommend using seperate modems and routers, other than these modems and routers all in one rubbish things, to get a connection from your pc to a laptop by wire, you would need a crossover cable i believe, which wouldnt be wireless at all, cheers damian

p.s need anymore help am here.

Excalibur
21-10-2008, 11:14 PM
get a router i recommend a linksys router, read the info which comes with it, but basicly plug the modem into the router, then from the router i would use a wire to your pc, as you would get a better mbps rate using a wire than wireless, then set your laptop onto wireless, thats if it has a built in wireless capeabilities, if not a belkin usb dongle or sumthing would most probley work, i highly recommend using seperate modems and routers, other than these modems and routers all in one rubbish things, to get a connection from your pc to a laptop by wire, you would need a crossover cable i believe, which wouldnt be wireless at all, cheers damian

p.s need anymore help am here.

Thanks but if the Livebox doesn't drop out when connected to the main socket, then I have a wireless sender. It may not be ideal, but the wireless bit of it never fails, it's the modem bit that's the trouble. A £12 dongle sounds the answer.
Edit. Bear in mind I can't get the modem and/or router closer than ten yards from trhe PC. That's why Callum's idea gets my vote.

501damian501
21-10-2008, 11:17 PM
how long is the wire going from the mains into the modem, were talking about the rj11, not 240 :D

try and keep the wire as short as possiable going into the modem

or

wide area network could be having problems

or

the modem is perfectly fit for the bin

the modem and router stay in the same room, then you run a wire from the back of the router to your pc, then run the laptop as wireless easy as.

Excalibur
21-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Damian, I think you've misunderstood. I've moved the Livebox ten yards away from the PC in order to connect it to the Main BT socket. This is because the BT extension cable appears to be the cause of the instability.Therefore I'd need a 15m RJ11 to connect the PC to the livebox, as it would have to go the long way round. The laptop which I'm using is working faultlessly. I realise that a wireless dongle will only give 54Mb as opposed to the 100Mb via cable, but as I say I'd have to run the cable up a wall, through the ceilking, across the loft, through another ceiling, and down another wall. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Lesser of two evils I reckon.

discomobiledj
22-10-2008, 06:52 AM
Is the livebox with Orange? If so this could be your problem, my old boss had huge problems with it, exactly the same problems as your having.

501damian501
22-10-2008, 06:59 AM
get rid of it, and get in the broadband boys or the virgin crew :D

Jiggles
22-10-2008, 07:01 AM
the new liveboxes are better. I used to use one unroll I needed to extend it and fiddle with settings and orange wouldent let me :p

Excalibur
22-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Callum, you may not still deserve Genius status, but I'm typing this on a wireless keyboard, on a PC connected via a Netgear Wireless Gubbins to The Livebox WIRELESSLY. ;) ;) RESULT :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
(£10-£15 more costly than it might have been, but never mind.)

Jiggles
22-10-2008, 08:58 PM
D@mn :( :p I could of sent you a link to a cheaper one :S

Excalibur
22-10-2008, 09:14 PM
D@mn :( :p I could of sent you a link to a cheaper one :S

I found plenty of links to cheaper ones too. However, the choice in my nearest PC World tonight started at £25. :( :( :(
Still, it's faster than the Cable link was, as it seems that the extension from the BTsocket was indeed the culprit, as Orange kept suggesting. It was just such a chore moving it, so we didn't until now.

So far, so good. :D :D :D
Thanks all for your help, particularly Callum, without whom I would struggle even more than I do now. :)

Jiggles
22-10-2008, 09:18 PM
I aim to please :D

Excalibur
22-10-2008, 10:13 PM
I aim to please :D

Callum, your help in the area where my ignorance shines like a beacon
( PC's! ) has been invaluable and appreciated. If we meet, I'll buy you a Soft Drink. ;) :D

Jiggles
22-10-2008, 10:31 PM
What if the time we me is in 2 years. Something a bit stronger possibly :d:d

Excalibur
22-10-2008, 10:42 PM
What if the time we me is in 2 years. Something a bit stronger possibly :d:d

No probs. Irn Bru it is. ;) :D :D :beer1: :beer1:

Jiggles
22-10-2008, 10:58 PM
mmmmmmm irn bru a bottle a day and your good to go. :sj: