PDA

View Full Version : CD Cleaning?

Baze
27-10-2008, 08:51 AM
I recently bought a Numark CDN35 CD Player and had a few problems with a few of my CD's skipping in it. I bought a CD cleaner machine and cleaned the offending CD's yet they still skipped. I decided to try them in my old CDN22 and they played all night with out a problem. (wierd)??

Anyway this got me thinking how often do you or should you clean your CD's and do you keep your CD's in there plastic cases or in CD wallets? I know most of you are digital but i was just curios.

Thanks

rob1963
27-10-2008, 09:56 AM
how often do you or should you clean your CD's

I recently went digital, but still have all my CDs, partly for back up & partly because it's a legal requirement.

To be honest, I've never cleaned them. They can't get dusty when being stored, and nothing makes contact with them when they're being played, so I don't see the point.

do you keep your CD's in there plastic cases or in CD wallets?

My CDs are stored in a couple of ADDA cases. Most of them are in their original jewel cases. The reason for this is that I can see what they are just by looking at them, as the details are on the spines.

CDs in cardboard covers or something similar can only be identified by flicking through them, which I wouldn't find so convenient.

theoloyla
27-10-2008, 11:29 AM
I keep mine in cardboad sleeves and wipe them on my special dj only anti-static trousers before I play them.:) :D I have a cd leaning cloth and flid available but only use it if they get really mucky for any reason or stick or skip (which is not often).

Excalibur
27-10-2008, 01:13 PM
I recently bought a Numark CDN35 CD Player and had a few problems with a few of my CD's skipping in it. I bought a CD cleaner machine and cleaned the offending CD's yet they still skipped. I decided to try them in my old CDN22 and they played all night with out a problem. (wierd)??

Anyway this got me thinking how often do you or should you clean your CD's and do you keep your CD's in there plastic cases or in CD wallets? I know most of you are digital but i was just curios.

Thanks

Good odds it's the player that needs cleaning, not the CD's. Repair man job in my opinion, I've never had success with lens cleaners.

Corabar Steve
27-10-2008, 04:04 PM
I only ever clean my CDs if they need it (usually if something has been spilled on them) Spit & a tissue does the trick.

One Vision
27-10-2008, 04:42 PM
I only ever clean my CDs if they need it (usually if something has been spilled on them) Spit & a tissue does the trick.

Would that be alcohol based :D

nigelwright7557
27-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Good odds it's the player that needs cleaning, not the CD's. Repair man job in my opinion, I've never had success with lens cleaners.

I bought a "hardly used" cd player off ebay that managed a gig before it started messing around not reading cd's.

I found cd cleaning cd's didnt work.
In the end I took the lid off and cleaned the lense by hand.

Still didnt fix it so I guessed the cd player was simply worn out.

Corabar Steve
28-10-2008, 06:41 AM
I bought a "hardly used" cd player off ebay that managed a gig before it started messing around not reading cd's..

WE KNOW! :sj:

Are you that old man down the pub that sits on his own, but any time somebody sits near him he tells them the same story about what he did in the war?