PDA

View Full Version : My contract

One Vision
27-10-2008, 04:35 PM
I have just finished my terms/conditions for the contract.
Please have a look and see if its ok and if you have any suggestions am more than happy to listen and take on board. :)

https://share.acrobat.com/adc/document.do?docid=dc4c1a80-b1b1-464f-8423-f4af91472d40

ppentertainments
27-10-2008, 04:45 PM
I see you have the ever popular - client must provide drinks clause in. Great advertising tool. Do you never get comments about this or alternatively why not charge an extra fiver and buy your own ??

Shakermaker Promotions
27-10-2008, 05:01 PM
That contract looks ok but, why do you feel the need to mention that the client must provide at least 2 drinks to the DJ/Helpers etc?
I personally think that is taking the mick big time.

That's almost like Mr Plumber or Mr Electrician coming round to my house to fix something and saying "I expect a cup of tea and some biscuits from you as it's in my contract otherwise you can get someone else" - In that instance I would say "Well, I'll get someone else then mate go and :Censored:off".

On most occasions I would offer anyway and likewise with Discos, I have been offered by the clients. I wouldn't have anything like that on my contracts, sorry but I find that laughable but each to their own. I would be interested (fly on the wall type thing) to see how many people decide not to book the Discos simply because of that. I know it sounds silly but I wouldn't like to be told that part of the conditions for booking someone that I am already paying to do a job, is to provide them with drinks too!

rob1963
27-10-2008, 05:09 PM
I see you have the ever popular - client must provide drinks clause in.

Ever popular?

I assume you're joking.

Do you never get comments about this or alternatively why not charge an extra fiver and buy your own ??

One vision,

In my opinion a demand for refreshments in t&c is totally unnecessary & extremely cheeky to say the least...but you take it to a new level, by also stating the minimum number of drinks required!

I'd love to know how you will apply this. Will you just go up to the bride when you've set up & say "Hi. I'm your DJ. Me & my helper would like the first of our free drinks now please"? Rather you than me!

Do yourself a big favour...scrap this term and either add a fiver to your prices (like ppentertainments said) or take a bottle of tap water like I do, which won't cost you a penny.

ppentertainments
27-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Ever popular?

I assume you're joking.

The comment was said in jest Rob, but am quite frankly amazed at the amount of DJ's adding this clause to their Terms. I would like to hear from some who do to find out how they get on enforcing this. Personally I think if you had the choice of 2 comparatable discos and one had this clause and the other did not, common sense would say who would get the job. As mentioned clients often do offer drinks, and I find those who you have given help and attention to on booking and given help to (ie meetings, suggestions etc) often offer free drinks and food as a thank you.

rob1963
27-10-2008, 05:44 PM
The comment was said in jest Rob

I assumed that was the case!

am quite frankly amazed at the amount of DJ's adding this clause to their Terms.

Exactly the same here.

I agree with Gary...it's completely taking the mick.

I would like to hear from some who do to find out how they get on enforcing this.
I'd love to know how they enforce it too.

There's no way I'd have the cheek to approach a client and ask for the first of my free drinks.

I feel a poll coming on.

Shakermaker Promotions
27-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Let's not hound One Vision too much guys. It could be that he has done this as maybe others do it too and afterall, he has asked for our input, which we are giving.
Maybe others who have the same thing in their contracts would like to add their bit to this?

I can't see there being many though.

Jiggles
27-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Link dont work for me :(

One Vision
27-10-2008, 05:52 PM
he he that bit WAS put in to catch some out to see if people were actualy reading the whole contract :D

Getting to the serious parts is there anything I am missing? :)

rob1963
27-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Let's not hound One Vision too much guys. It could be that he has done this as maybe others do it too and afterall, he has asked for our input, which we are giving.

I don't think anyone's hounding him, Gary...just giving their opinions about his t&c like he asked.

It just so happens that a few of us agree about the drink request being a bad idea.

I'm interested to know how many people have this in their own terms, so I've started a poll in the mobile disco section.

:)

One Vision
27-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Read my last post Rob :beer1:

rob1963
27-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Read my last post Rob :beer1:

Lol!

:D

501damian501
28-10-2008, 05:14 AM
if you work any where in this world, you provide your own refreshments, are you that poor you cannot afford, to take a large bottle of water and some light snap, i like to take some sandwiches and chocolate bar, also i may awolle myself a single whiskey and coke after setting up, depending on circumstances, however the way i have priced my packages, this includes a basic refreshment for us, why an earth should people paying us have to give us food, who gives a monkeys if we get some buffet, its their function/wedding/party and their buffet, its rare i go out with the equipment, but in year 2009 i will be going out every week, as i would of been clear from seizures for a year and i am now on my medication.

Corabar Steve
28-10-2008, 07:16 AM
i may awolle myself .

Still not quite used to Damian speak, does the above quote translate to "I make a Wally out of myself" ????

rob1963
28-10-2008, 09:18 AM
are you that poor you cannot afford, to take a large bottle of water and some light snap, i like to take some sandwiches and chocolate bar

This is exactly what I'm having a problem understanding too.

If we eat before leaving for the gig, surely we won't need to eat again until we get home...or if we do, how hard is it to take a light snack with us?

Drinks are more important than food, so why not fill a spring water bottle from the tap, chill it in the fridge & take THAT with you like I do? Total cost = nothing!

:shrug:

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-10-2008, 09:58 AM
This is exactly what I'm having a problem understanding too.

If we eat before leaving for the gig, surely we won't need to eat again until we get home...or if we do, how hard is it to take a light snack with us?

Drinks are more important than food, so why not fill a spring water bottle from the tap, chill it in the fridge & take THAT with you like I do? Total cost = nothing!

:shrug:

Why do you persist in posting the same thing over and over Rob. We know water costs nothing and we know you can chill it in the fridge.

If you are at a venue all day, then what? Are you supposed to survive for 10-12 hours with no food or drink?

Personally, I think taking your own food and sitting eating it behind the decks is unprofessional.

Also, I didn't see you complaining when we were given a lovely meal when we worked at that Hotel near you...:p

Shakermaker Promotions
28-10-2008, 10:15 AM
I would never eat behind the decks at any function. I'm offered grub etc but I never take it no matter how nice it looks or smells. Sometimes (and no offence meant), some of you can be really anorak-ish about the whole Disco thing. Take your own water (make sure it's chilled though!), take your own sandwiches and flask of coffee etc etc... Blimey, what happened to just getting on with the job and doing what you are paid to do instead of worrying about scoffing your face or if you are going to faint from dehydration. FFS guys, a 4 or 5 hour function is not going to hurt you and if you are that bothered, just go to the bar and ask for a pint of water with ice in it...simple enough really. It's almost like the smoking thing... Would you ask on your contract that you are entitled to a fag break? Probably not. I smoke like a chimney most of the time unfortunately but I can go for 4 or 5 hours and not be bothered one bit if I don't have one.

Honestly, sometimes I read stuff on here and I can't actually believe what I am reading. Next thing we'll see is someone asking for a woolly jumper or coat to be provided for venues or marquees that don't have sufficient heating because poor old Mr DJ may get his little fingers cold....sounds silly doesn't it...I get this vision of some people out there having 'roadies' with them and at some point saying to them "Can you take the reigns for 5 minutes mate whilst I eat my packed lunch" and sitting behind the decks scoffing on a sandwich, packet of crisps and a bottle of fizzy stuff.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-10-2008, 10:19 AM
It's nothing like smoking. The human body needs water to survive. You cannot possibly compare the two.

soundtracker
28-10-2008, 10:22 AM
As ever we seem to have the same discussion going on in several threads, why do people have to be right? There is no DJ handbook, or defined way in which things should be done, just accept that some people do things differently, there is no right or wrong, just what works. Of course expecting a drink and a bit of food is totally outrageous, funny, I've been doing it since 1975 and NEVER has a punter ever had a problem with it! As for enforcing the clause, if you get on well with people, they generally have no problem in buying you a drink, I actually refuse more drinks than I accept!
This is just another keyboard warrior thread.

theoloyla
28-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Unless you are a mega star I think it is unreasonable at most gigs to automatically expect the promoter to provide free drinks. The SEDA contract provides that "the dj will not be expected to perform for more than 4 hours without a break for refreshment" which is a fairly sensible health and safety condition but it doesnt say the client should provide the refreshment. In practice many do but often we have to go to the bar and purchase our own. For my Christmas residency and New Years Eve I do make it a condition of contract to be fed and when I worked for various other clubs and hotels a staff meal was provided as a matter of course but not usually drinks. Occasionally with pubs etc it can be used as a bargaining tool if they want to chip a tenner off the quote you can agree but say you want free drinks.

One Vision
28-10-2008, 11:11 AM
he he that bit WAS put in to catch some out to see if people were actualy reading the whole contract :D

Getting to the serious parts is there anything I am missing? :)

I cleared that little point up and for the record I wouldn't personaly include that clause.
One thing that does confuse me though is why should a super star be treated any differently than the everyday Joe, we are all human and require the same basics :confused:

soundtracker
28-10-2008, 11:25 AM
I cleared that little point up and for the record I wouldn't personaly include that clause.
One thing that does confuse me though is why should a super star be treated any differently than the everyday Joe, we are all human and require the same basics :confused:

Don't worry, its just people under-valuing themselves and accepting that DJs are treated as the lowest of the low!

rob1963
28-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Why do you persist in posting the same thing over and over Rob. We know water costs nothing and we know you can chill it in the fridge.

I didn't think I WAS posting the same thing over & over again, Darren.

I can't recall the last time I said that I take a bottle of water to gigs, and I don't think I've mentioned it more than a few times in my thousands of posts.

However, if I'm going off my trolley & it IS something I keep going on about, then I apologise.

If you are at a venue all day, then what? Are you supposed to survive for 10-12 hours with no food or drink?

I'm never at a venue all day, and if I was I'd rather pop out for some food if I was hungry than demand it in my t&c.

Also, I didn't see you complaining when we were given a lovely meal when we worked at that Hotel near you...:p

Of course not, because it was very nice!

I often get meals at some of my regular venues, particularly the local racecourses like Sandown & Kempton park, but when I do, I just see it as a bonus rather than being something which I expect or insist on.

why do people have to be right? There is no DJ handbook, or defined way in which things should be done, just accept that some people do things differently, there is no right or wrong, just what works.

For the record, and in case that comment was aimed at me, I don't think I'm right. I just do what works best for me & what I'm happy with.

If people want to demand food/drinks in their t&c, that's their decision.

What I'm interested in learning though (and what nobody has yet explained) is how this is implemented (assuming the clients don't come up & offer you a drink), as I personally wouldn't have the gall to approach a client & ask for one of my free drinks.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-10-2008, 11:36 AM
I can't recall the last time I said that I take a bottle of water to gigs, and I don't think I've mentioned it more than a few times in my thousands of posts.

take a bottle of tap water like I do, which won't cost you a penny.

so why not fill a spring water bottle from the tap, chill it in the fridge & take THAT with you like I do? Total cost = nothing!

That's twice in this short thread. ;)

One Vision
28-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Don't worry, its just people under-valuing themselves and accepting that DJs are treated as the lowest of the low!

I just find it strange.
No doubt a super star would simply turn up as he has a roadie team to unload and setup and then they demand the contents of Harrods before they will consider any work :confused:

We have roughly an hour to unload and setup all the gear, that's after we have driven possibly an hour to get to the venue.
Then another 4-5 hours behind the decks no doubt on your feet and using the mic, then another average of half an hour to pack down and load the van before driving another possible hour at the early hours to get home and possibly then unload the van etc.

Although I wouldn't personaly include that clause, surely its not too much to ask the customer for some refreshments throughout the evening is it?

theoloyla
28-10-2008, 11:41 AM
What I'm interested in learning though (and what nobody has yet explained) is how this is implemented (assuming the clients don't come up & offer you a drink), as I personally wouldn't have the gall to approach a client & ask for one of my free drinks.

Rob, you dummy, you dont ask the client for a free drink - you ask the bar maid!:)

soundtracker
28-10-2008, 11:44 AM
I just find it strange.
No doubt a super star would simply turn up as he has a roadie team to unload and setup and then they demand the contents of Harrods before they will consider any work :confused:

We have roughly an hour to unload and setup all the gear, that's after we have driven possibly an hour to get to the venue.
Then another 4-5 hours behind the decks no doubt on your feet and using the mic, then another average of half an hour to pack down and load the van before driving another possible hour at the early hours to get home and possibly then unload the van etc.

Although I would personaly include that clause, surely its not too much to ask the customer for some refreshments throughout the evening is it?

Of course it isn't, and as for the enforcement, as I have already said, if you sell it properly, its never an issue, people are on the whole, nice. (except DJs apparently!)

rob1963
28-10-2008, 11:48 AM
That's twice in this short thread. ;)

In which case I apologise! :p

Rob, you dummy, you dont ask the client for a free drink - you ask the bar maid!:)

Ahhhh...now I understand!!!

One Vision
28-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Putting the drinks thing aside, below is the link to the actual one ill be using, so if you have any advice on the current clauses or can recommend were I have not included ide be very grateful. :)

http://www.disco-onevision.co.uk//PDFs/one-vision-contract.pdf

Shakermaker Promotions
28-10-2008, 12:29 PM
It's nothing like smoking. The human body needs water to survive. You cannot possibly compare the two.

Of course it isn't! I'm not as stupid as you may look mate ;)
What I am saying is that it seems like too many DJ's out there have egos or think that they deserve special treatment such as drinks etc...WHY can't they just get on with the job in hand...it's so simple.....ISN'T IT?

soundtracker
28-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Of course it isn't! I'm not as stupid as you may look mate ;)
What I am saying is that it seems like too many DJ's out there have egos or think that they deserve special treatment such as drinks etc...WHY can't they just get on with the job in hand...it's so simple.....ISN'T IT?

I take the opposite view, there are far more DJs who don't value what they are, or do, highly enough. If you don't believe in yourself, you can never expect anyone else to!

rob1963
28-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Putting the drinks thing aside, below is the link to the actual one ill be using, so if you have any advice on the current clauses or can recommend were I have not included ide be very grateful. :)

http://www.disco-onevision.co.uk//PDFs/one-vision-contract.pdf

Hi One Vision,

It looks fine to me.

Just a couple of things I noticed, though.

Term 6 for the client states "Any deposits are strictly none refundable". I think it should say "non-refundable".

Also, term 7 for the client states "Cheques are only acceptable a maximum of one week prior to the event date". I think you mean a MINIMUM of one week prior to the event date. In other words, at LEAST a week before the event date.

Hope this helps.

One Vision
28-10-2008, 12:35 PM
That helps a great deal thank you good sir :beer1:

soundtracker
28-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Hi One Vision,

It looks fine to me.

Just a couple of things I noticed, though.

Term 6 for the client states "Any deposits are strictly none refundable". I think it should say "non-refundable".

Also, term 7 for the client states "Cheques are only acceptable a maximum of one week prior to the event date". I think you mean a MINIMUM of one week prior to the event date. In other words, at LEAST a week before the event date.

Hope this helps.

Might be wise to change deposit to booking fee as well.

rob1963
28-10-2008, 12:38 PM
That helps a great deal thank you good sir :beer1:

:thumbsup:

Might be wise to change deposit to booking fee as well.

No...I think he's fine calling it a deposit.

:sofa:

soundtracker
28-10-2008, 01:15 PM
hmmmmm!

One Vision
28-10-2008, 01:48 PM
I have now included the conditions on my site, please have a nosy
http://www.disco-onevision.co.uk/t%2Bc.htm

rob1963
28-10-2008, 03:08 PM
I have now included the conditions on my site, please have a nosy
http://www.disco-onevision.co.uk/t%2Bc.htm

Look fine to me, except you don't need the inverted commas around the bits I suggested needed to be changed.