PDA

View Full Version : website colours

501damian501
04-11-2008, 02:34 PM
hello folk, i was wondering about website colours.

on my website i wish to use colours such as gold, black, white, then some lighter colours maybe pink, light sky blue.

whats your views on these colours ?

i want to have a nice, professional, warm welcoming image and a sign of elegance to my website. :beer1:

Marc J
04-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Whatever colour scheme you use, try this handy tool to pick colours that go well together:-

http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme2/index-en.html

Corabar Steve
04-11-2008, 03:02 PM
For what?

Just listing colours doesn't really help us any.

Fonts, backgrounds, graphics, what?

Can you explain the actual colour scheme you have in mind? (eg. gold background black text? or the other way round?)

What colours are you planning on using for what?

501damian501
04-11-2008, 03:33 PM
For what?

Just listing colours doesn't really help us any.

Fonts, backgrounds, graphics, what?

Can you explain the actual colour scheme you have in mind? (eg. gold background black text? or the other way round?)

What colours are you planning on using for what?

here is a basic view as to what i was talking about, its only basic i know, but gotta start somewhere.

i want it to be, nice kinda colour full, not too much in your face, also, something which is not full of rubbish,just straight to the point.

Corabar Steve
04-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Personally I don't like dark backgrounds on websites, but there are plenty of folks that do.

Use the link that Marc supplied & go with what you like best.

It's all subjective really.

Jiggles
04-11-2008, 03:40 PM
IF your going to use blue buttons then use a blue back ground. Or a tiled background.

501damian501
04-11-2008, 03:48 PM
i could use gold buttons, but i think that would over power the website just a little bit to much, then it would get the chav effect lol

djsteve10
04-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Why not pay for a Professional Template to be done to your standards and then just edit the content yourself?

501damian501
04-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Why not pay for a Professional Template to be done to your standards and then just edit the content yourself?

its just crossed my mind, just i like to cut costs down where possiable.

Jiggles
04-11-2008, 05:51 PM
If you are good at photoshop or anything like that get one of those free templates and edit them.

501damian501
04-11-2008, 06:37 PM
what about using frontpage ?

Shaun
04-11-2008, 07:12 PM
I think most know my views on "home-made" websites. They haven't gone down too well in the past (apologies to all who were offended :o).

Unless you are very proficiant with graphic/web design and S.E.O, my advice would be to save up the pennies and hire a professional.

:sofa:

501damian501
05-11-2008, 09:18 AM
my graphic skills are quite good to be honest.

soundtracker
05-11-2008, 09:19 AM
my graphic skills are quite good to be honest.

So why didn't you use them on your banner then?:p :D

501damian501
05-11-2008, 11:14 AM
i feel my banner is perectly fine, does what it needs to, its bold, stands out ect, i can always use fanicy colours, shading and the rest of it, but thats to much for the eye.

soundtracker
05-11-2008, 11:16 AM
i feel my banner is perectly fine, does what it needs to, its bold, stands out ect, i can always use fanicy colours, shading and the rest of it, but thats to much for the eye.

Damo! It were a joke :D :D :D :D

501damian501
05-11-2008, 11:39 AM
thats ok, so you like it then ?

soundtracker
05-11-2008, 11:45 AM
thats ok, so you like it then ?

Its fine!:)

Andy Westcott
23-11-2008, 10:23 AM
I think most know my views on "home-made" websites. They haven't gone down too well in the past (apologies to all who were offended :o).

Apology accepted. :)

But - Does anyone gain extra bookings as a result of having a 'flashy', possibly non-compliant web site? If I pay £400 for someone to 'design' a web page, will I recover that in extra bookings?

I don't know, and I'm sure there's no easy way to find out - pity though, as it would be an interesting survey.

Incidentally, my web site is home made, and most certainly looks it, (reflects my target audience?) but I have had 3 people in the last few months making a point of commenting on how easy the site was to read, and that all the information they needed was there - this was comared to sites of other local discos they had looked at.

I must be doing something right.

Incidentally, I've looked at the code for some 'professionally' designed web sites and was a little surprised and disheartened to see machine-generated code. If I was to pay huge sums for a web designer, I'd at least expect him/her to be able to write the code himself. Don't you agree?

Corabar Steve
23-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Incidentally, my web site is home made, and most certainly looks it,
I disagree, Ive seen sites by so called professional web designers that look a lot more home made than yours. the only fault I can find with it is I hate white on black websites.

wensleydale
23-11-2008, 10:41 AM
I disagree, Ive seen sites by so called professional web designers that look a lot more home made than yours. the only fault I can find with it is I hate white on black websites.
i dont mind the white on black- its the other bright colours on black i struggle to read.

CRAZY K
23-11-2008, 12:24 PM

:sofa:

Offended-- Quite the reverse.

My most successful Website by miles was built by me on Frontpage and until the recent credit crunch/recession was pulling about 15 enquiries a week, now its downto about 5.

It far outperforms sites I have paid people to make :cool:

Damian- re the Colours.

There is a whole area of psychology associated with an individuals Colour preferences, in fact another completely different area associated with selling skills and marketing.

Its not just a question if blue clashes with another colour.

Try it for yourself--what colour website do you feel attracted to?

CRAZY K

Marc J
23-11-2008, 02:07 PM
But - Does anyone gain extra bookings as a result of having a 'flashy', possibly non-compliant web site? If I pay £400 for someone to 'design' a web page, will I recover that in extra bookings?

I don't know, and I'm sure there's no easy way to find out - pity though, as it would be an interesting survey.
That mostly depends on the competition in your area. I think it's more a case of bad websites putting potential clients off, more than good websites securing enquiries / booking. No website at all is better than a bad one imho.

As for compliance - who really cares? Not Joe Public booking a disco, that's for sure....

Incidentally, I've looked at the code for some 'professionally' designed web sites and was a little surprised and disheartened to see machine-generated code. If I was to pay huge sums for a web designer, I'd at least expect him/her to be able to write the code himself. Don't you agree?

No. Why have a dog and bark yourself? I pay good money for the software I use - so why shouldn't I use it?

Andy Westcott
23-11-2008, 02:07 PM
the only fault I can find with it is I hate white on black websites.

So do I really, but reversing the scheme makes it look worse, according to 5 people (family) I cornered for an opinion. Black on white was how it was originally.

Another potential problem with white text on black is if the end user has been able to set text colour to black, or to display a white background, they wouldn't see very much...

EDIT:
Quote:
"As for compliance - who really cares?"
The computer will care, and possibly not display the page as was intended - it's an important issue, believe me.

Marc J
23-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Quote:
"As for compliance - who really cares?"
The computer will care, and possibly not display the page as was intended - it's an important issue, believe me.

It's never been much of an issue for me. I'll make a compliant website if the client makes an issue of it - it's no big deal but gives me the opportunity to charge a little more :)

I check sites in all popular browsers. And let's face it, if someone is looking at a non-compliant site using Win95 and IE4 and it doesn't quite render as intended - who cares? With their dinosaur PC, how much spare cash do you think they have to spend on your disco? ;)

Andy Westcott
23-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Good point!
But as you check your work in multiple browsers, you are at least checking to ensure they display properly, which is the main issue I suppose. :)

Marc J
23-11-2008, 07:15 PM
But as you check your work in multiple browsers, you are at least checking to ensure they display properly, which is the main issue I suppose. :)

Exactly :)

When the likes of Google (62 Errors) (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0&user-agent=W3C_Validator%2F1.606), BBC News (126 Errors) (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.bbc.co.uk&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0) and CNN (42 Errors) (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0&user-agent=W3C_Validator%2F1.606) start to worry about validation, then perhaps I will ;)

Andy Westcott
23-11-2008, 09:52 PM
That is a lot of errors from people who should know better. I find it surprising how many sites still use the font tag - it's been depreciated for years now.

But anyway - getting your code validated is a darned good way of finding those little errors you overlooked - you know, the remnants of hastily edited code, for example.

I do it mainly for that reason, although it's good to know the page is compliant as well. :)

djsteve10
27-12-2008, 11:49 PM
How are we getting on then Damian?