PDA

View Full Version : Wireless audio sender, For Dolby Digital rear surrounds

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Not disco related but...

I'm looking for a wireless audio sender for rear surround speakers.

Anyone use one or recommend one?

A1DL
05-11-2008, 07:56 PM

Daz, a Sennheiser 500 beltpack transmitter would do the job (or a pair if a stereo feed is essential, or if the rear cabs are a long way apart)

I'm not familar with your terminology "rear surround speakers", I'm assuming you're after avoiding lots of metres of signal cable to run something like a pair of full range powered boxes half way down a hall?

Tony

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Daz, a Sennheiser 500 beltpack transmitter would do the job (or a pair if a stereo feed is essential, or if the rear cabs are a long way apart)

I'm not familar with your terminology "rear surround speakers", I'm assuming you're after avoiding lots of metres of signal cable to run something like a pair of full range powered boxes half way down a hall?

Tony

And the wrong end of the stick award goes to...:p

Not disco related but...

Anyone use one or recommend one?

Sorry Tony, I should have made it more clear - this is for a home hi fi system. :)

yourdj
05-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Sorry did not quote

"not using loads of cables etc. down a hall"

I have been thinking about getting that? good for weddings in posh pads where the rooms are separated by thick walls you cant hear the music.

gets people up more when "their" tune comes on.

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-11-2008, 08:02 PM
NO!!!

For home hi fi!

A1DL
05-11-2008, 08:03 PM
And the wrong end of the stick award goes to...:p

Sorry Tony, I should have made it more clear - this is for a home hi fi system. :)

:doh: :sofa: Thank you for the award all the same :cool:

Tom
05-11-2008, 08:20 PM
I havent seen or used one but I'm not to sure about these.

I know that a living room is a small room and not a large hall but is there going to be any problems with quality of the sound??? Like slight delay from transmitter to receiver (if the front speakers are wired up).

I would say if it is possible to wire them then do that but I'm sure there is a reason you you asking about these. No wires??? lol

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-11-2008, 08:23 PM
I havent seen or used one but I'm not to sure about these.

I know that a living room is a small room and not a large hall but is there going to be any problems with quality of the sound??? Like slight delay from transmitter to receiver (if the front speakers are wired up).

I would say if it is possible to wire them then do that but I'm sure there is a reason you you asking about these. No wires??? lol

The rear surrounds aren't the main speakers anyway, so it shouldn't really make that much difference.

The reason I am asking about wireless? Wooden floors and no-where to hide cable. :)

Tom
05-11-2008, 08:26 PM
The rear surrounds aren't the main speakers anyway, so it shouldn't really make that much difference.

The reason I am asking about wireless? Wooden floors and no-where to hide cable. :)

Ahh ok. :)

I take it you already have the sound system or are you looking at one of those aswell???

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Ahh ok. :)

I take it you already have the sound system or are you looking at one of those aswell???

I bought one fairly recently, so don't really want to change. I went from a separate Dolby Digital amp, centre, sub, Celestian fronts and rears to an all in one, more subtle system, so I can't even change the rears I don't think.

Tom
05-11-2008, 08:37 PM
I bought one fairly recently, so don't really want to change. I went from a separate Dolby Digital amp, centre, sub, Celestian fronts and rears to an all in one, more subtle system, so I can't even change the rears I don't think.

Ahh ok. My dad has some Celestian speakers when we had our dolby setup but had to rip them out when we had wooden flooring put in. lol.

BeerFunk
05-11-2008, 09:05 PM
The reason I am asking about wireless? Wooden floors and no-where to hide cable. :)I delayed posting because I didn't know your circumstances, but I have laminate flooring with trim around the skirting boards. All my surround speakers are close to the walls, so I've run the cable under the trim. Luckily, the trim is slightly bevelled on the hidden side, so I didn't even have to cut away at it to make room for the cable.

Besides which, how would the speakers be powered??

mr rusty
05-11-2008, 09:21 PM
lots of ways to solve this.

something like this may work:

http://www.keeneelectronics.co.uk/electronic/marmitek/invisible-scart-200-wireless-av-system/IS200.html

Carries stereo audio and video (but you wouldn't need that). Simple scart to "red/white/yellow" converter plugs plugged into the transmitter and receiver scarts would give you red/white audio RCA's to connect your speaker O/P and I/P to. (you might need a gender changer as well. Alternatively, google the audio pins on a scart socket and just make up a lead that picks up the common/left/right)

Bear in mind this unit will be carrying line level audio. It won't work if you want to carry full power for the speakers. AFAIK the wireless speaker units that come with some HiFis use powered speakers for the rears. Don't know whether yours are powered or passive.

Either way the guys at keene should be able to help - they have loads of AV gadgets.

hth

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-11-2008, 10:56 PM
I delayed posting because I didn't know your circumstances, but I have laminate flooring with trim around the skirting boards. All my surround speakers are close to the walls, so I've run the cable under the trim. Luckily, the trim is slightly bevelled on the hidden side, so I didn't even have to cut away at it to make room for the cable.

Besides which, how would the speakers be powered??

I have (or will have) wooden, not laminate and there's no trim, just skirting. We haven't moved in yet though, so don't quote me on that. ;)

Not sure what you mean by powered Callum?

lots of ways to solve this.

something like this may work:

http://www.keeneelectronics.co.uk/electronic/marmitek/invisible-scart-200-wireless-av-system/IS200.html

Thanks for the link - will look tomorrow.

Tom
05-11-2008, 11:39 PM
I think what he means is are if the speakers were wireless would they require a plug each or if the speakers are passive would you be running from an amp.

Excalibur
06-11-2008, 06:45 AM
I have (or will have) wooden, not laminate and there's no trim, just skirting. We haven't moved in yet though, so don't quote me on that. ;)

Woden floor? Reckon this would do the job. ;)
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/40405/Power-Tools/Circular-Saws/Evolution-RAGE185-185mm-Circular-Saw;jsessionid=CNZ54IA1MCVUGCSTHZOCFEY?ts=57434

Vectis
06-11-2008, 07:34 AM
You can use those £20 wireless TV senders but not use the video connection, just the stereo audio. Use multiples on different channels if you need more than 2 speakers to be wireless. I've done this for many years using a Marmitek product and it works a treat.

Have a mooch around CPC, Maplin, Argos even for 'wireless sender' and you'll have plenty of choice.

I'd advise getting one in the 5GHz range though as the cheaper 2.4GHz jobbies are liable to the odd bit of interference from WiFi, DECT etc.

BeerFunk
06-11-2008, 10:33 PM
I have (or will have) wooden, not laminate and there's no trim, just skirting. We haven't moved in yet though, so don't quote me on that. ;)Aah, I see :)

Not sure what you mean by powered Callum?Well, as you'll obviously already know, the speakers need power to produce an output, so they're either going to need a powered signal from a passive amp (only possible through a cable, not a wireless signal), or a built in amp - which will most likely require a mains connection, although I suppose it could be battery operated.

Corabar Steve
07-11-2008, 07:04 AM
so they're either going to need a powered signal from a passive amp (only possible through a cable, not a wireless signal),.

Not if the receiver has an amp (some do)

BeerFunk
07-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Not if the receiver has an amp (some do)Where does the amp draw it's power from?

Excalibur
07-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Not if the receiver has an amp (some do)

Where does the amp draw it's power from?

Solar Power? :sofa:

Corabar Steve
07-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Where does the amp draw it's power from?

Usually a socket on the wall.

BeerFunk
07-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Usually a socket on the wall.
so they're either going to need a powered signal from a passive amp (only possible through a cable, not a wireless signal), or a built in amp - which will most likely require a mains connectionThat was my point, so if you're having to run a mains cable to it, it's not wireless

Corabar Steve
08-11-2008, 07:25 AM
You implied that Darren would need powered speakers, which is not the case.

& it is the signal we're talking about not the power anyway. Darren doesn't want speaker leads running from his TV half way round the room to the rear surround speakers. One would presume he doesn't mind a short cable run from the receiver to it's power source (assuming there is a socket near where he wants the speakers).

djgordyp
08-11-2008, 08:41 AM
If you can't get a wireless solution sorted and you can't run the wires at floor level what about ceiling height then. I originally had the wires for my surround speakers running along skirting boards. One weekend I thought to myself that some coving would look nice so I went out and bought what I needed. It meant taping the wires to the walls first, so I didn't have to try hoding them as well as the coving.
So now the only wires showing are from where they come from behind the curtain and enter the coving behind the front right speaker. Not ideal I suppose but better than having loads of wires all over the place ( would have looked even better if my DIY skills were up to scratch:D :D ).

djgordyp
08-11-2008, 08:58 AM
You implied that Darren would need powered speakers, which is not the case.

& it is the signal we're talking about not the power anyway. Darren doesn't want speaker leads running from his TV half way round the room to the rear surround speakers. One would presume he doesn't mind a short cable run from the receiver to it's power source (assuming there is a socket near where he wants the speakers).

The speaker would be the receiver, would it not, or am I getting confuzzeled, like other people on this thread :p .

If the audio supplied to the rear speakers is only at line level as pointed out earlier. what happens then if the volume on the tv or surround system is turned up? surely any sound coming from the rear would be drowned out then.

BeerFunk
08-11-2008, 11:42 AM
You implied that Darren would need powered speakers, which is not the case.With a wireless signal, it is the case.

& it is the signal we're talking about not the power anyway. Darren doesn't want speaker leads running from his TV half way round the room to the rear surround speakers. One would presume he doesn't mind a short cable run from the receiver to it's power source (assuming there is a socket near where he wants the speakers).Fair point, but on the other hand, the signal cable tends to be a very thin 2 core cable, which is very easy to conceal.

Corabar Steve
08-11-2008, 11:56 AM
With a wireless signal, it is the case.
Not if the receiver has an amp, then they would be passive speakers.

Fair point, but on the other hand, the signal cable tends to be a very thin 2 core cable, which is very easy to conceal.Unless like Darren you have solid wooden floors & don't want to be ripping out your skirting board to conceal cable runs.