PDA

View Full Version : Technophobe needs help dragging himself past the 1980's

Jonathan Ford
09-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Hi Guys

I'm new to the forum, first post, so hi! I'll do my best to contribute as much as possible, but I'm more of a reader than a writer unless I've got something relevant to say.

I'm hoping that collectively, you may be able to offer some advice. I've been working as a mobile on and off for about 15 years, but haven't spent a penny on my gear in all that time. I've been carrying around a 30 year old Citronic twin deck with built in amp. However, I've decided to drag myself out of the stone age. I hardly play any vinyl any more, so have just bought a new Citronic CDM10:4 mixer, and need to know the most appropriate amp to plug it into. I don't need to make a load of noise - I only do the local hotel ballroom and not much more.

Many thanks in advance,

Jon.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Hi Jon

What speakers are you going to be driving?

You may get more response after a quick hello in the newbie section.

Excalibur
09-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Hi Guys

I'm new to the forum, first post, so hi! I'll do my best to contribute as much as possible, but I'm more of a reader than a writer unless I've got something relevant to say. .

That would put you in the minority on here. ;) :D

I'm hoping that collectively, you may be able to offer some advice. I've been working as a mobile on and off for about 15 years, but haven't spent a penny on my gear in all that time. .

Are you related to the legendary Rob James? :confused: :confused:

I've been carrying around a 30 year old Citronic twin deck with built in amp. However, I've decided to drag myself out of the stone age. I hardly play any vinyl any more, so have just bought a new Citronic CDM10:4 mixer, and need to know the most appropriate amp to plug it into. I don't need to make a load of noise - I only do the local hotel ballroom and not much more.

Many thanks in advance,

Jon.

OK, Serious bit. :( As Darren says, we need to know what speakers you have. If you need to upgrade them, predictable recommendations will soon be forthcoming. ( Darren's got some Mackies he can't shift. ;) ;) )

Warrior amps are cheap and reliable. Many on here use them. I'd recommend C-Mark as a good compromise between cost and quality. Somebody will soon suggest Active cabs and a Db/RCF Sub. ;) :D :D

EDIT: Be careful! I was Dinosaur too, before I came on here, and now I'm Digital!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Once you start, you may never stop. I've even got LED lghts!!!!!:eek: :eek:

rob1963
09-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Are you related to the legendary Rob James? :confused: :confused:

:rofl:

Andy Westcott
09-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Welcome Jon.
Congratulations for not lashing out on new gear every 6 months - it isn't necessary as you obviously know.

The Citronic mixer seems OK - I recently bought one myself after my trusted friend started to get a bit wobbly.

Speakers:
Yes - we need to know more, particularly impedance and power handling RMS, although I'd expect the impedance to be 8 ohms.

You amplifier requirements aren't huge, so a 200 watt per side jobbie would do well - I ran that kind of power for about 17 years and didn't really find it wanting very often.

Excalibur
09-11-2008, 10:33 PM
You amplifier requirements aren't huge, so a 200 watt per side jobbie would do well - I ran that kind of power for about 17 years and didn't really find it wanting very often.

Oi Jamesy! Did your Dad have a bike? :confused: :confused:

501damian501
09-11-2008, 10:41 PM
i would recommend a warrior amp if on a budget, or a c mark if you have that little bit extra.

rob1963
09-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Congratulations for not lashing out on new gear every 6 months - it isn't necessary as you obviously know.

:agree:

Oi Jamesy! Did your Dad have a bike? :confused: :confused:

Only the village one. :rofl:

Corabar Steve
10-11-2008, 06:45 AM
:offtopic: :ontopic:

rob1963
10-11-2008, 07:07 AM

:sorry:

JAMdisco
10-11-2008, 08:55 AM
I know this has gone 'off-topic' but I'm guessing it's because the original poster hasn't answered any of the questions yet, i.e. What speakers he uses.

If original posters don't make the effort to at least come back and check on the progress and contribute to the post, going off-topic is almost inevitable wouldn't you say?

Corabar Steve
10-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Give him a bloody chance! It was only posted at ten to nine last night!

JAMdisco
10-11-2008, 11:51 AM

Silly me, should have looked at that :o
I'll take it from your tone (if you can get a tone from text) that's me being told off :(

It's just with all them posts, it seemed as if this had been going a while...

Anyway, back on topic...

What speakers are you using Jon? :)

Excalibur
10-11-2008, 12:48 PM

:sorry: as well.

Ah. Obviously 9pm bedtime. ;)

Jonathan Ford
10-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Please excuse my unforgivable tardiness in not getting back here sooner. As speculated, correctly, it was a school night...

My speakers are Wharfedale Pro EVP-S15's, 8 ohms impedence. It also says 200 watts continuous, 400 watts programme, 800 watts peak. Embarrassingly, I have absolutely no idea what any of this means.

Many thanks for the advice so far.

Excalibur
10-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Please excuse my unforgivable tardiness in not getting back here sooner. As speculated, correctly, it was a school night...

My speakers are Wharfedale Pro EVP-S15's, 8 ohms impedence. It also says 200 watts continuous, 400 watts programme, 800 watts peak. Embarrassingly, I have absolutely no idea what any of this means.

Many thanks for the advice so far.

No probs mate, forget peak, it's a sales pitch. ;) :D Programme is the max music it can theoretically stand. Continous/RMS is the constant max it can stand, so since music is not constant, it is widely accepted that an amp bigger than that can be used. ( Braces self or usual barrage of disagreement)

Right, this is not set in stone, cos there are three schools of thought. :(
I'd go for round 300wRMS per side/channel into 8ohms. Thus:
Budget
http://www.ukdj.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=21585
Better
http://www.ukdj.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9652

You'll get plenty of advice on this, Crazy will suggest a Peavey 900 or 1500, Somebody will suggest QSC, and somebody will inevitably suggest going active. Keep asking, answers will be forthcoming. :D

501damian501
10-11-2008, 03:50 PM
like i said warrior or c mark, excalibur, has just recommend 2 brilliant ampilifers, afew will say go active, but when they over heat, i will have to willy wave, tone i hope your reading this :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-11-2008, 05:53 PM
afew will say go active, but when they over heat, i will have to willy wave, tone i hope your reading this :D

Yawn....

Excalibur
11-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Yawn....

Not keeping you up are we? Haven't you got something useful to do, like wrap up a parcel? ;) :D

Jonathan Ford
11-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Many thanks for the advice, guys.