PDA

View Full Version : Residency

chelsea485
10-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Good Evening,

I'm trying to get myself a residency for next year, and i was wondering how many of you have one, and how did you get it ?

Any advice as to which is the best way for me to go about this ?

Thanks

JAMdisco
11-11-2008, 07:22 AM
I had a residency and while it was shocking money (£80) it is guaranteed income. Only thing I didn't like about it, is that it was a Saturday night and as most of us will know, Saturday is probably the most popular night for Weddings and Birthday parties (much better paid too)

I often found myself ringing round to get someone to cover it. I eventually lost the gig as I'd failed to get cover for 3 nights on the trot (one was not my fault).

If you're doing weddings and birthdays, I would be inclined to not bother unless it's a mid-week disco (few and far between in my experience). Maybe follow in Robs footsteps and do mid-week quizzes instead (less money but also a lot less gear to take out, and can be fun too once you get to know the regulars)

If you want advice on how to get a residency, just go round the pubs/clubs with your cards (presuming you have some). Probably best to avoid busy times as the landlord/lady won't be able to give you much attention if they're busy. Lunchtime weekdays are probably best.

Good luck in your quest. :D

Excalibur
11-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Good Evening,

I'm trying to get myself a residency for next year, and i was wondering how many of you have one, and how did you get it ?

Any advice as to which is the best way for me to go about this ?

Thanks

There are Residencies whee you play every night/week/weekend at silly money as Justin says, and there are the better ones where you become the
"Designated Disco" for a venue, and tend to be paid by the customer at sensible rates. Sorry I have no tips on how to get them , I got two of mine by simply being in the right place when folk who knew my work wanted a Resident. ;)

rob1963
11-11-2008, 09:51 AM
I'm trying to get myself a residency for next year, and i was wondering how many of you have one, and how did you get it?

It can sometimes be a case of just being in the right place at the right time.

I had a pub residency for nine years, and at one point I was doing three nights a week.

I got it through doing a normal disco & being approached by another DJ who was working in a different room at the same venue, and who also happened to supply the DJs to a local pub.

ppentertainments
11-11-2008, 12:42 PM
There are Residencies whee you play every night/week/weekend at silly money as Justin says, and there are the better ones where you become the
"Designated Disco" for a venue, and tend to be paid by the customer at sensible rates. Sorry I have no tips on how to get them , I got two of mine by simply being in the right place when folk who knew my work wanted a Resident. ;)

Good desciption of residencies and prefered / designated disco. I have always avoided residencies because of the, often, poor money. By becoming a venues preferred DJ, the client books directly with yourself so you can negotiate prices etc and I find you have more contact. Also being the prefered disco does not tie you down, residencies often are expected to fill 'all slots', which can cause problems with other mobile work.

I have a number of venues who use me as their prefered disco and simply reccomend me to clients. 9 times out of 10 the client at least calls me and normally books - result :D

Last week I did take on a residency as I do 99% of their discos anyway. I have not reduced my charges and the hotel do not have any say on my charges. The hotel are happy with my show and reliability so are using me to save any problems they have incurred in the past. I have also told them that any last minute bookings would be passed onto reputable DJ's I know who will provide a similar standard of service to myself. Again they are happy with this as are 'sick of some of the trash they have had' (their words not mine).

As far as gaining residencies / preferred disco, as Excalibur has said a lot is 'right place, right time'. Always remember that when doing a disco the client is the most important but the venue comes a close second. Adhere to venue rules, expectations etc and always leave the place as you find it. Word sharp gets round. One comment I do get from a lot of venues is that they do not like discos who play too loud, loud yes but not too loud.

DiscoPromotions
26-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Residencies prevents Mobile DJ/Owners that

1. Restricts them doing a variety of events
2. Does nothing to your DJ or company imagine.
3. Poorly paid (as mentioned)

Around our area I know DJs who go out for £80 to £100 per night and work through until 02:00.

Getting the work for residencies from my personal experience is achieved in on of two ways.

1. You are the best things they had for a long tine (i.e their regular DJ is on holiday or taken a better booking).

A good establishment will meet the expectations of their punters needs, but will not break the bank (Well you need see DJ Tiesto dj'ing at your local boozer)

2. The price offered is cheaper than regular pay (No explanation required)

They policy we have is that if a establishment requires our services for regular residency, then it is on our terms so it minimizes the impact to the revenue income.

Our Policy summary is

1. They can only book one month at a time to allow to take private work

2. They pay us a decent amount for our services. Well it is not £80 to £120 as just not worth it.

We do offer special discounts to the establishment as we do value their custom, but we was not born yesterday.