PDA

View Full Version : PAT Certificate

Dynamic Entertainment
12-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Please dont jump on me because im know that PAT has been discussed over and over (and is probably getting very tedious for alot of you) but after searching for half an hour i couldnt find the answer i needed. Anyway, here goes....

Ive came across plenty of peoples websites (whilst being nosy to be honest) and see lots of people with an actual PAT Certificate. When i had my equipment tested I was issued with a spreadsheet type document which listed each item, its Serial No, a specific PAT No, the date, its pass status and the date of the next test.

Ive never had it turned down yet, and it was issued by a qualified electrician but it got me thinking.

Any thoughts, please...

Danno13
12-11-2008, 07:48 PM
I don't get a certificate either, but have also heard the myth that you need one. A list of items with numbers that can be cross referenced to the stickers on your gear, with the testers signature and company details should be fine. It may also be handy to carry a copy of the calibration certificate for the machine they used.

daz226
12-11-2008, 07:51 PM
i got one mine is done by a very good local dj who provided the spreadsheets and also the cert fo it i allways thought that the certivicate was what was required

Danno13
12-11-2008, 07:55 PM
A certificate just by itself shows nothing.. it could be for a completely different set of items to what you have with you.

ppentertainments
12-11-2008, 07:55 PM
I got a certificate but no list. The certificate merely had the electricians signature which matches the stickers on the item, make and serial number of machine, when calibrated and when tested. The total number of items is shown and it does state that it is DJ equipment. This is printed on letterheaded paper by the electrician - who is qualified.

I think it is about time PAT was issued in a similar way to a car MOT certificate, which holds a standard certificate and people undertaking the test must pass a standard test and everything is registered. Lets face it, at the moment anyone can buy some pass stickers and printout a list which makes a mockery of the whole test.

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-11-2008, 08:02 PM
I get a list of individual items and then a summary page, which is what I normally send people.

Having processed 'quite a few' PAT validations, there are a mix of both and to be honest if people just send me a certificate, I normally ask for a summary of items to back it up.

Dynamic Entertainment
12-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Lets face it, at the moment anyone can buy some pass stickers and printout a list which makes a mockery of the whole test.

Now theres a thought, lol would save me a fortune each year. But seriously, I wonder how many cowboys have actually done that for that for the 1 posh gig they get asked to do.

I agree that it should be a more formal process. Anyway, thanks to everyone for the quick responses...mind now at ease :)

CRAZY K
12-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Lets face it, at the moment anyone can buy some pass stickers and printout a list which makes a mockery of the whole test.

True, but I would rather have my certificate issued by a large Disco retailer and Hirer/Supplier in Northampton ready to show the H and S investigators if it all goes belly up.

CRAZY K

daz226
12-11-2008, 09:08 PM
I get a list of individual items and then a summary page, which is what I normally send people.

Having processed 'quite a few' PAT validations, there are a mix of both and to be honest if people just send me a certificate, I normally ask for a summary of items to back it up.

when is this starting again Darren i know you said you was doing a new website and it will take time but from my website i link back to here showing that i have the required PAT and PLI

JAMdisco
13-11-2008, 08:47 AM
I have a certificate and a list of items. The certificate has always been enough when sending proof to venues - they've never asked for a breakdown.

I think sometimes they just want a piece of paper to cover themselves.

I have put my PAT & PLI certificates on my website since the validator site stopped working / closed down. I think this is just as good and it also means they don't have to navigate away from my site when checking. :)

rob1963
13-11-2008, 08:55 AM
I never get a certificate either.

I just have a form which details the appliance number, description, whether class 1 or class 2 (what's that?), fuse rating & whether it's passed or failed for each item tested.

In addition, the top of the form has my name, the engineer's name, a PAT serial no & the date of the test.

I've never had a problem.

DazzyD
15-11-2008, 01:04 PM
No certificate from me, either.

I get a printout (was about 8 A4 pages long, last time!) showing each item tested and the results of each test that carried out on it. Each item has a code (ie Light1, CD1, etc) which corresponds to the tag on the green pass sticker on th actual item itself. It's signed and stamped by the engineer at the end and sent to me in the post a few days after the test (the company have loads of contracts and only download the data from the machines overnight so save them time during the working day). This generates the report which is what I receive.

I did ask about the certificate and log-book type documents I'd read were necessary but was told I received everything I needed to have!

wensleydale
15-11-2008, 01:41 PM
I never get a certificate either.

I just have a form which details the appliance number, description, whether class 1 or class 2 (what's that?),

Class 1/2 determines the type of pat test required- one is double insulated I believe.

Jiggles
15-11-2008, 01:44 PM
see here Rob: http://www.europat.co.uk/definitions.htm

rob1963
15-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Class 1/2 determines the type of pat test required- one is double insulated I believe.

see here Rob: http://www.europat.co.uk/definitions.htm

Thanks Rich & Callum. :thumbsup: