PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Machine

OllieJames
17-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Hey,

Before anybody says 'most places won't let you use a smoke machine' i know, but the venues i have DJed at before have all let me. Bare in mind i usually do schools/village halls & Rugby/football clubs; not hotels with strict no smoke machine rules.

I'm still unsure as to whether a smoke machine or hazer would be better. The smoke machine i have in mind is the ACME HP3 and the hazer is the ACME HP2s.

HAZER (http://www.djstore.com/item/smoke/acmhp2s.htm)
SMOKE MACHINE (http://www.djstore.com/item/smoke/acmhp3.htm)

I'm leaning slightly towards the smoke machine, but all opinions are welcome.

Thank you! :beer1:

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Hazer, much more subtle and just as effective unless you are using loads of lasers I suppose.

OllieJames
17-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Hazer, much more subtle and just as effective unless you are using loads of lasers I suppose.

Hey Darren :)

Thanks for your reply. Someone else said this to me, but i wasn't sure whether the hazer would pick out the beams as well as the smoke machine does....

ScottThompson
17-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Hey mate,

I prefer a smoke machine because I am quite picky but I like a massive cloud of smoke in the air. I recon if the venue doesn't let you use smoke use a hazer, simple sollution realy. That smoke machine looks a beast go for it mate :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Why would you want a great big cloud of smoke in the air for? :confused:

OllieJames
17-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Good question Darren :p

Anyway, i wasn't sure if the hazer would be as good/effective as the smoke machine... Is it?

Thanks

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Good question Darren :p

Anyway, i wasn't sure if the hazer would be as good/effective as the smoke machine... Is it?

Thanks

Next time you watch something like the X Factor or who wants to be a millionaire, or infact any TV show that uses moving heads etc, you'll notice that the beams are all showing, but there's no smoke around.

Why do you think that is?

OllieJames
17-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Next time you watch something like the X Factor or who wants to be a millionaire, or infact any TV show that uses moving heads etc, you'll notice that the beams are all showing, but there's no smoke around.

Ahh okay haha :p But would a 700w hazer be good enough? As i'm sure that these TV shows, use high wattage hazers?

Jiggles
17-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Pixie Dust Darren :sofa: Sorry just had to.

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Ahh okay haha :p But would a 700w hazer be good enough? As i'm sure that these TV shows, use high wattage hazers?

A 700w hazer would be fine for most small to medium venues. I have the one that was linked to and you can see it working here (http://www.solitaireentertainments.co.uk/2008%20Promo.wmv).

rob1963
17-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Ollie,

I think it depends to some extent on what kind of functions you are doing.

You mentioned schools.

Darren is obviously right about a hazer being more subtle, but I can't help thinking a smoke machine would go down better with school kids...purely because it's NOT subtle!

The last time I used my smoke machine was a few years ago at a fourteenth birthday party, and they wanted loads of smoke. The more the better, in fact. If I'd had a hazer, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have been very impressed.

Vectis
17-11-2008, 07:59 PM
The last time I used my smoke machine was a few years ago at a fourteenth birthday party, and they wanted loads of smoke. The more the better, in fact. If I'd had a hazer, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have been very impressed.

Well I do a LOT of older kids/young teens work and I "only" use a hazer... and they're always VERY impressed :beer1:

OllieJames
17-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Thanks for you replies!

Darren, that looks awesome! The hazer wins i think :)

Thanks

rob1963
17-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Well I do a LOT of older kids/young teens work and I "only" use a hazer... and they're always VERY impressed :beer1:

...but maybe not as impressed as if you used a smoke machine :p

Shakermaker Promotions
17-11-2008, 08:11 PM
I have that hazer which you have linked to, in other words...the same as Darren and it is great. Don't forget you can get different kinds of haze liquid for it from light to dense. I personally use the dense stuff and it works really well. I don't need to say anymore as Darren's rather excellent video shows just how good it works. I have 3 Mystic LED lights and they look absolutely brilliant with the haze!

Tom
17-11-2008, 08:24 PM
I have never owned a haze machine but after seeing videos and reading other people comments I would say go for one of those.

I have sold my smoke machine because I never use it no more. If I get work where i might require some kind of smoke then I would invest in a haze machine. :)

Penfold42
17-11-2008, 08:29 PM
I now have 2 smoke machines.....:D

Tom
17-11-2008, 08:33 PM

1 per side and one of them has think smoke so should empty a room in seconds. :D:D:D

Penfold42
17-11-2008, 08:38 PM
1 per side and one of them has think smoke so should empty a room in seconds. :D:D:D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

..and 4 lasers as well......just something else to offer....:)

Excalibur
17-11-2008, 08:43 PM

Four lasers, and two toasters. So what? :confused:
Posted before viewing Tony's reply.

Penfold42
17-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Four lasers, and two toasters. So what? :confused:

:Sleeping: :Sleeping: :Sleeping: :Sleeping: :Sleeping: :Sleeping: :Sleeping: :Sleeping: :Sleeping: :Sleeping: :Sleeping: :Sleeping: :Sleeping: :Sleeping: :Sleeping: :Sleeping: :Sleeping: :Sleeping:

BORING!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Talk about taking the joke too far....

Excalibur
17-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Talk about taking the joke too far....

The funniest part of which is that I have no personal experience of said items, and am in fact the voice of reason concerning them. I sincerely hope that Tony never has a thermal issue with them. Another humorous aside is that I have had an (old backup) amp regularly thermal on me when driving my subs, so the joke's therefore on me. :D :D :D

One Vision
17-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Well I have used the HP hazer and is very good, although I have bought a fog machine.
The fogger I have is the Martin Magnum 650 Smoke Machine and came with 5ltrs of Martin standard fluid.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MARTIN-MAGNUM-650-SMOKE-MACHINE-WITH-5-LITRES-OF-FLUID_W0QQitemZ120334540908QQihZ002QQcategoryZ6996 0QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l126 2

Now ordinarily I would have said that the hazer was better, however In think it depends on what fluid you use.
My mate has the HP hazer but was using a cheaper brand fluid and although was more of a haze than smoke it was like stronger on the spell.
I have fired up the Martin with the right fluid and because its the standard fluid its not as dens and hardly smells.

The only problem I have with the martin is that the remote is hardwired and doesn't have a timer but very well made and looks good.
I'm hopping I may be able to fit an XLR socket and plug on the remote as that would make it a perfect unit for me (anybody know how many wires are in the remotes, I assuming 2-3?

Shakermaker Promotions
17-11-2008, 09:26 PM
That's one of the things that made my mind up about the HP Hazer. It has a remote control that connects in simply by 1/4in jack. It also has a timer on it too which comes in handy.

JAMdisco
19-11-2008, 09:10 AM

As i said before, if I set my hazer on max, it runs pretty much like a fog machine, although not as dense it still outputs more than enough fog for a school disco.

I shall post some pics next time I use it at a kids party (27th Dec) unless I use it before.

DeckstarDeluxe
25-12-2008, 04:29 PM
http://www.cdkm.co.uk/index1.html

check out the hazer there for £99

OllieJames
25-12-2008, 05:54 PM
I've actually bought a hazer now!

I got the Acme HP-2s

Cowlinn
22-01-2009, 04:18 PM

Who wants to be a millionaire does not use smoke or haze, they use robe 1200's, you will see the beam on any mover above 575 with no haze. Obviously Mobile DJs will need haze as they will not be using MAC 575s :)

But for small movers or scans, 150/250 watts hazer will give a nice even coverage. In my experience (not much lol) but what friends from high places have said is that smoke is more used for effects in stage of even disocs, haze to bring out the beams.

I hope that makes sence :confused: lol

Matt.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Who wants to be a millionaire does not use smoke or haze

How would you know this fact?

It seems very unlikely.

Mark Wild
22-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Haze or no haze? ;)

Cowlinn
22-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Haze or no haze? ;)

No haze :).

I dont know if you have seen a profressional stage mover. You do not need haze with it lol. it simply reflects of the dust particles, so bright cutting through them.

And Darren, A friend of a friend of mine was LD for millionaire before he got sacked lol (thats another strory) and didnt use haze, the only effects used were pyrotechnis and smoke in another room where audience go first for a "talk" (why you need a talk to me in the audience is beyond me :confused: ) but there was a little display there.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-01-2009, 04:43 PM
No disrespect, but I've heard a lot of "My mate worked on/did that" type stories. I like to hear things from the horses mouth and it does seem very unlikely that haze wouldn't be used.

Cowlinn
22-01-2009, 04:46 PM
No disrespect, but I've heard a lot of "My mate worked on/did that" type stories. I like to hear things from the horses mouth and it does seem very unlikely that haze wouldn't be used.

I dont want to start an argument but, i wouldnt lie about a friend of a friend working there on a technichal help forum :).
I respect your views and was rather shocked when i found out too.
It's up to you weather you beileve me or not. cant change that :)
i'm jst quoting what this guy said.

Thanks

Ps (to me that sounds like i'm trying to be "****y" but dont know how to reword it, but im not, i understand you have ALOT more experience and obviously know alot more in the mobile dj world then myself)

Mark Wild
22-01-2009, 04:48 PM
No haze :).
You do not need haze with it lol. it simply reflects of the dust particles.

Looks like alot of dust to me fella.

Cowlinn
22-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Looks like alot of dust to me fella.

Dust particles, being the thousands in the air around you right now.
You'll be surprised.

Thanks.

Grahame Case
22-01-2009, 04:52 PM
for WWTBAM and The Weakest link they use Haze machines.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Not according to our young friend here!

Grahame Case
22-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Not according to our young friend here!

what a load of :Censored: it's haze, simple as,

look at the picture here : http://www.smokemachines.net/buy-le-maitre-neutron-xs-hazer.shtml

i have used COEMAR, MARTIN, HIGH END SYSTEMS, ROBE, and various other professional lighting company lights, (even Griven Kolorado's) and they all needed haze to show off the beams,

Cowlinn
22-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Few points,
A) I never said anything about The Weakest Link.
B) Just because i am younger then alot of you on here, it doesnt mean im stupid.
c) The information did not come from me but somebody who actually worked on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire (weather you beileve that or not.)

D) (Not a Rhetorical questoin) have you seen a robe 1200 on that gobo in a hall? if you have you would not be saying that it requires haze.

Many thanks

Again, dont mean to appear rude.

Cowlinn
22-01-2009, 05:00 PM
what a load of :Censored: it's haze, simple as,

look at the picture here : http://www.smokemachines.net/buy-le-maitre-neutron-xs-hazer.shtml

i have used COEMAR, MARTIN, HIGH END SYSTEMS, ROBE, and various other professional lighting company lights, (even Griven Kolorado's) and they all needed haze to show off the beams,

No need to swear :)
Looks like it useless me trying to convince anone so i'll stpo trying.

Thanks

Grahame Case
22-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Haze or No Haze?

Mark Wild
22-01-2009, 05:04 PM
No need to swear :)
Looks like it useless me trying to convince anone so i'll stpo trying.

Thanks

This company use "Who wants to be a millionaire" as a reference for their smoke/haze machines.

https://www.fogspecs.com/references.shtml

:whistle:

DeckstarDeluxe
22-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Haze or No Haze?

looks like haze to me!

Mark Wild
22-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Haze or No Haze?

Dust? :D

Grahame Case
22-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Haze - Martin/JEM StageHaze if i remember correctly.

Cowlinn
22-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Haze or No Haze?

This isn't WWTBAM :confused:

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-01-2009, 07:13 PM
B) Just because i am younger then alot of you on here, it doesnt mean im stupid.

No-one is saying that.

It seems highly likely that these companies and TV programmes use haze. I have 1000w followspot and you don't see the beam from that without haze. Things on TV are going to need to show up better too and I just can't imagine them not using effects.

You say your friend got sacked? Was it because he forgot to use the haze machine? :p

Seriously, perhaps something got lost in translation. Perhaps he said they don't use it on one particular part of the show?

Dynamic Entertainment
22-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Who wants to be a millionaire does not use smoke or haze, they use robe 1200's, you will see the beam on any mover above 575 with no haze. Obviously Mobile DJs will need haze as they will not be using MAC 575s :)

A contact of mine (we pass mobile work back and forward) who runs a professional Sound & Lighting Hire Company has 16 Mac 575s (provides to fashion shows, festivals, concerts, etc) and he insists on using haze. Yes it may pick up the odd dust partical without, but my Maglight does that aswell!

Just to stick my 2 pence in :D

Alchemy
12-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Copy of e-mail sent to WWTBAM production company.

Hi,

I am a mobile DJ and a member of an internet forum who's members are in the middle of a heated discussion on whether or not WWTBAM uses haze or smoke to enhance the lighting on the show.

I would be very grateful if you could put an end to this debate.

Many Thanks

Steve
Alchemy Disco

Anyone want to start a book?

I'll go £1 each way on Haze (sorry Matt).

Alchemy
18-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Hey everyone, I just received a reply from 2waytraffic, the production company for Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

Hi Steve

Thanks for your email. What a good question!

I have checked with our production manager and found we use cracked oil that trickles from a smoke machine.

I hope this helps and puts your mind at rest.

All the best.

So there you are, they use a cracked oil hazer.

Case closed I think.

OllieJames
29-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Case closed I think.

Thank you!