PDA

View Full Version : DJ Software

Jonathan Ford
18-11-2008, 09:34 PM
I' just discovered that one of my ancient Technics CD players has passed away, so my planned switch to a laptop may as well come this week (i.e.: before my gig on Saturday) rather than after Xmas as planned.

What are your experiences of the various DJ software available? Any reccomendations, favourites, horror stories? You advice woule be highly appreciated.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-11-2008, 09:53 PM
I hate to say it, but there are loads and loads of threads about this subject with lots of experiences and opinions to be had and read if you have a look round the forum.

Penfold42
18-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Buy a Denon....:sj:

Jonathan Ford
18-11-2008, 09:59 PM
I hate to say it, but there are loads and loads of threads about this subject with lots of experiences and opinions to be had and read if you have a look round the forum.

Sorry mate. I did use the search function under the term "DJ Software", and it just threw up every thread with the word software in it! Also, there's nothing in this technical help forum on the topic that I can find. Mind you, I am a complete technophobe, so.....go figure!

Edit: I searched again using "PCDJ" and found loads. Sorry. ANy chance a moderator can close this?

Tom
18-11-2008, 10:22 PM

I 2nd that. ;) :cool:

pagan_flame
18-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Look for 'OTSDJ' as well (used and recommended)...

Vectis
18-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Look for 'OTSDJ' as well (used and recommended)...

And if you want to start simple (and cheap) look for OTS Turntables.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Also check out Virtual DJ.

BeerFunk
18-11-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm surprised no-one has questioned the wisdom of switching to a laptop setup in a matter of one week :whistle:

DazzyD
18-11-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm surprised no-one has questioned the wisdom of switching to a laptop setup in a matter of one week :whistle:

I was just thinking the same thing!

Five days (max!) of practise using a completely new playout system is cutting it a bit fine especially if you've never used this kind of thing before (and, with all due respect, you do say that you're a technophobe! :eek:).

If I was in your shoes (which I'd try my best not to be!) I'd buy and download VDJ overnight (or Swift Elite 4) and be up at the crack of dawn practising it til it's time to go to bed. Then I'd do the same on Thursday. And Friday. Oh, yes. And I'd buy some new CD players just in case! I might just feel confident enough then to be able to do the gig.

But then, I've been creating computer music for nearly 20 years!

flatliners
18-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Also check out Virtual DJ.

i am with you on this on matey pips or is you want something thats really easy to use then check out sam party dj

nigelwright7557
18-11-2008, 11:08 PM
It would be good advice to not just buy software and gig it.

Take some time to get to know it first at home.
It could be your PC is not upto the job, like lack of memory or processing power.

I write and sell software and its amazing how many people are running old OS's and old processors yet expect modern software to run well on it.

Jonathan Ford
19-11-2008, 01:00 AM
Thanks for your advice, guys. I've already had a play with PCDJ, and Virtual DJ is downloading as we speak. I've got a fair bit of experience of computer playout systems as I used to work in radio, so I reckon I'll be able to pick it up ok.

In terms of time, I agree!! It's ****e to have to do it like this, but I don't see the point in replacing the CD kit when I'm planning on changing it all after Xmas anyway. Seems like duplicated/unnecessary expense, so I may aswell bite the bullet abnd do it now.

501damian501
19-11-2008, 03:28 AM

you mean the one i crashed first time :D :D

if you can use a set of cd players, you can use virtual dj, its pretty straight to the point software. not that i use it for gigging as i have no produb, just make sure you got a system with some jucie to run it, i dont think no one has mentioned a controller, i would recommend buying an software controller to use it, alot more easyer.

oh yeah and,dont use vista, because its PANTS.

Corabar Steve
19-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Do you not have anywhere near you that you can hire a CD player for the gig? (gives you another week to get used to the new system)

ppentertainments
19-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Were you planning on going totally digital after Xmas ??? When I moved to digital I still took a few cds and player with me for a good few months as backup. Now I am totally digital but still have one of those Karaoke/dvd/cd machines and 6 cd's with me just incase.

What I am saying is that the purchase of new cd players could be worth doing as even when digital you may need them. Buy a cheap Numark set which will get you through next month then can be there for backup.

Jonathan Ford
19-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Were you planning on going totally digital after Xmas ??? When I moved to digital I still took a few cds and player with me for a good few months as backup. Now I am totally digital but still have one of those Karaoke/dvd/cd machines and 6 cd's with me just incase.

What I am saying is that the purchase of new cd players could be worth doing as even when digital you may need them. Buy a cheap Numark set which will get you through next month then can be there for backup.

Yeah, totally digital is the plan. The reason being that I haven't spent a single penny on my gear in 15 years. I carry around a 30 year old Citronic twin-deck with two old Technics flat-bed single CD players. I've missed the period where, when upgrading, it made sense for me to buy a twin CD/mixer, so it seemed to make more sense to skip a generation, as it were. Because my CD players are independent, I still have one that works OK, and will take it with me anyway.

Also, I'm starting to feel a little self concious when I see other guys out on the road taking up half the space I do. I worry that my set-up, though perfectly functional and turning out a great sound, looks a bit "Steptoe and Son".

Corabar Steve, I may well do just that on Saturday if I don't feel confident using whatever I buy later today.

rob1963
19-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Five days (max!) of practise using a completely new playout system is cutting it a bit fine especially if you've never used this kind of thing before (and, with all due respect, you do say that you're a technophobe! :eek:).

I disagree.

When I made the digital move, I felt competent using the new set up within a few hours...and I'm ALSO a complete technophobe!

:D

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Don't forget the OP is talking about software though Rob and not a HD player.

rob1963
19-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Don't forget the OP is talking about software though Rob and not a HD player.

Good point!

:sofa:

Jonathan Ford
19-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Perhaps I'm showing my ignorance here, but is any of this more complex than assigning "decks" on the software to channels on a sound card, and then the card to the mixer. Bear in mind that I'm a party kind of guy. I play one song...then I play another...no Hacienda type high jinx! I don't mix, so no great need to master beat matching, pitch controls etc.

I suppose I'm getting unnerved that using the downloaded trial versions seems dead simple, yet some of the posts here indicate that it souldn't be. Am I missing something?

ppentertainments
19-11-2008, 12:13 PM
I think it is fair to say you can make it as simple or as complicated as you want. A lot of laptop dj's simply take a cable from the headphone socket to the mixer so both 'decks' only use 1 channel. Guess what - it works and best of all its dead simple. I use a soundcard connected to my laptop for backup but still only use 1 channel. If you use headphones, beat match etc etc it does get a bit more complicated.

Mark Wild
19-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I use Torq http://www.torq-dj.com/

Lovely piece of software, especially if used with a M-Audio Xponent midi contoller.

VDJ and Traktor are nice too.

sleah
20-11-2008, 11:18 AM
A lot of laptop dj's simply take a cable from the headphone socket to the mixer so both 'decks' only use 1 channel. Guess what - it works and best of all its dead simple.

.... probably sounds a bit nasty and crossfading is err... entertaining to say the least with a mouse and on screen mixer...
I guess it all depends on your style, but going from 2 channels to 1 may sound OK, but if you suddenly realise you've played the wrong or inappropriate track, try fading one out and starting the other with a mouse and NOT be crashing the tracks all over the place:eek:
I tried it briefly during my change over and loathed it, I didn't continue the change over until I'd got a decent multi output sound card.

Just my opinion/experience of course, but I would suggest running two system together for a while to get used to it.

ScottThompson
20-11-2008, 11:30 AM
I'd use Virtual DJ, very nice bit of kit, not that expecnive eaither.

Cj_The_Dj
20-11-2008, 11:30 AM
if your mixng (virual DJ) is good can be used by most contollers its got a dmx contoller built in and karoake.

but i still like Pcdj red it like a twin cd player, i use it with a numark contoller and its good.

8x18
20-11-2008, 12:48 PM
BPM is good , you will need the matching sound card to go with it

after you have used this for a while you will hate PCDJ

try it and see ?

ppentertainments
20-11-2008, 01:08 PM
I guess it all depends on your style, but going from 2 channels to 1 may sound OK, but if you suddenly realise you've played the wrong or inappropriate track, try fading one out and starting the other with a mouse and NOT be crashing the tracks all over the place:eek:

How would having 2 channels make this any different ?? Even if using 2 channels the controls on the computer are the same.
My software has a fade button whih comes in useful for this :D :D
I am not saying 1 channel is as good as 2 but that - It can be done if needed.

Off topic a bit but I am doing a race night tonight and always finish off with a bit sing-a-long or disco. I use my computer for this to save space etc and the program I use for playout ............. Media Monkey :D

501damian501
20-11-2008, 02:05 PM
How would having 2 channels make this any different ?? Even if using 2 channels the controls on the computer are the same.
My software has a fade button whih comes in useful for this :D :D
I am not saying 1 channel is as good as 2 but that - It can be done if needed.

Off topic a bit but I am doing a race night tonight and always finish off with a bit sing-a-long or disco. I use my computer for this to save space etc and the program I use for playout ............. Media Monkey :D

let Auto-DJ & Party Mode take care of your party. :D :D :D

back on topic, before we get busted. :beer1:

Javlingames
20-11-2008, 02:20 PM
I swear by Serato, as do the big name DJ's. Perfect for mobile and club dj's.

501damian501
20-11-2008, 02:22 PM
I swear by Serato, as do the big name DJ's. Perfect for mobile and club dj's.

big name djs, what you trying to say here :D, i would hate to think your another one bringing the club dj rubbish into an mobile disco forum ???

Silver
20-11-2008, 03:29 PM
I've got licences for the following ...

Numark Cue (Virtual Dj in a box) I've never used it live, tried showing videos with it on three different well spec'd computers at home and it freezes or crashes every time. Afraid I wouldn't touch it with your bargepole!

Mixmeister, great if you want an easy life mixing dance tracks, top results.

Traktor, very good all round programme, aimed toward mixing, used it for about three years, seldom let me down.

Ots, now this is the one. I find this impossible to beat for a good all round programme. Unbelievably stable playing music or videos, best in depth, pin point search facility by a country mile. You can assign one track with many different genres, extremely handy, searches by release year too.

Beat mixes for you if you want an easy half hour or so. There is so much you can do with this it's brilliant. I can play videos, at the same time take photos of the gig, upload them and with seconds they're on the big screen in an Ots slideshow, without the video blinking, so reliable.

I've spend the best part of £1,000 on dj software and have a good experience of most, there is no contest.

There you go, my six penneth worth.http://planetsmilies.net/music-smiley-7528.gif

Mark Wild
20-11-2008, 03:30 PM
big name djs, what you trying to say here :D, i would hate to think your another one bringing the club dj rubbish into an mobile disco forum ???

Every mobile disco needs a DJ no? Do you never play "club" music? What if its requested at say a 21st? I can assure you Jive Bunny's master mixes won't go down to well. The guy was just advisiing on DJ software and Serato is up there with the best of them.