PDA

View Full Version : Another Haze Machine Question

JAMdisco
26-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Right, I'm doing a charity event tonight at my Mums shop - it's a catwalk fashion show. My mum has asked if I can use my Haze machine to compliment the lighting but the shop has a smoke detector.

I need to know (mainly peace of mind) that my Zoom Hydrahaze will NOT set this off. I'm pretty sure it won't but need to know.

Factual answers only please :)

Vectis
26-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Depends whether the alarm sensors are particle detectors or heat detectors.

If particle, you MIGHT have a problem. If heat, you'll be fine & dandy.

Also check whether the alarm has an over-ride window. Many have a 20 or 30-second delay before they dial out so that drills may be undertaken. It might be possible to sit someone in front of the panel just in case.

In reality, I use haze at many venues with particle detectors, but I just take it easy. Not enough for laser tunnels but plenty to show beams. Always with the approval of the venue mind you (apart from one particularly obnoxious old fart but that's OT).

If in doubt, give it a try before the event.

JAMdisco
26-11-2008, 09:30 AM
If in doubt, give it a try before the event.

I'm not sure which it is, but I'm getting there for about 5:30pm and the doors open at 7pm so will definately check it before the public enter.

I won't be using loads of it, mainly the last song (which is new york, new york) and she wants one white spot and a mirrorball effect so I've borrowed a dual barrel light off Excalibur and haze would obviously enhance the lighting.

One Vision
26-11-2008, 03:40 PM
I have 2 smoke alarms in my house, I can fill the room with smoke from the fog machine and have no problem with them going of, but if I make bacon sarnies you can guarantee the one in the hallway will go off.

Its completely different as smoke machine smoke is actualy water based steam type smoke and not burning dense smoke.

JAMdisco
26-11-2008, 03:44 PM
I have 2 smoke alarms in my house, I can fill the room with smoke from the fog machine and have no problem with them going of, but if I make bacon sarnies you can guarantee the one in the hallway will go off.

Its completely different as smoke machine smoke is actualy water based steam type smoke and not burning dense smoke.

Cheers for the confidence. I kinda knew all this but just wanted reassurance really. I will still try it first with more haze than I'll be using at the time, better to be safe than sorry. :D

soundtracker
26-11-2008, 03:57 PM
I used the zoom hydrahaze in my hall for Halloween effect a couple of years ago and set off both upstairs and downstairs smoke detectors.

JAMdisco
26-11-2008, 03:59 PM
I used the zoom hydrahaze in my hall for Halloween effect a couple of years ago and set off both upstairs and downstairs smoke detectors.

Jeez, Now you tell me! :bang:
Well, still will try first.

Gotta go now, setting off.

Kernow
26-11-2008, 06:07 PM

I have twice set off smoke alarms in a local Community Centre using water-based fog :o

This year also, along with the entire audience & cast, I was evacuated from the Hall For Cornwall, Truro when the Meatloaf Tribute Act set off the alarms with their 'Fog' machines. :eek:

Suppose it depends on the type of detector ??

JAMdisco
27-11-2008, 07:32 AM
All went fine - amply tested it before the show and there was no problem and the detector was almost directly above it. :D

There were some excellent photos taken of the models by a pro photographer. Obviously we exchanged cards ;)

My step-daughter has been asked to enter for Miss York off the back of this :eek: she did look stunning though and is a size 8 and about 5ft 10" high (without heels) - will put some pics up when I get copies.

OllieJames
27-11-2008, 03:27 PM
There were some excellent photos taken of the models by a pro photographer. Obviously we exchanged cards ;)

Who? You and the models? :p