PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievably simple laptop question!

rob1963
28-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Hi folks,

Next weekend I have a disco where there will be some kind of projection running from a laptop. It has sound, so I've been asked if they can plug the laptop into my system so people can here it.

I just need to know which outputs laptops have, so I know which type of plug I'll need on the end of the lead I get made up.

I've never owned or used a laptop, so I really don't have a clue!

Thanks in advance.

:)

Jiggles
28-11-2008, 09:54 AM
headphone jack plug

rob1963
28-11-2008, 09:56 AM
headphone jack plug

Which type, Callum?

3.5mm or quarter inch?

Cj_The_Dj
28-11-2008, 10:19 AM
3.5mm

Vectis
28-11-2008, 10:30 AM
You need something like this

http://cpc.farnell.com/AV13374/audio-video-tv/product.us0?sku=bandridge-ip342

And don't forget the laptop has its own volume control (in software). If like me your CM200 gain setting is around 1 O'Clock then set the laptop volume to about 80% to get even gain across the channels.

rob1963
28-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks guys...much appreciated.

If anyone is wondering why I didn't just ask the client, I've been dealing with the mother, and the projection will be played on her son's laptop, so I thought it would be simpler to just ask the question here rather than asking the mum, her then contacting her son to ask him & then getting back to me.

You need something like this

http://cpc.farnell.com/AV13374/audio-video-tv/product.us0?sku=bandridge-ip342

With all due respect, Vectis, I don't!

Although my CM100 has photo sockets, the channel 3 output is actually wired to a quarter inch stereo socket on the panel on the back of my console, so I require a lead with a 3.5mm stereo plug on one end & a quarter inch stereo plug on the other...but thanks for the link anyway!

And don't forget the laptop has its own volume control (in software). If like me your CM200 gain setting is around 1 O'Clock then set the laptop volume to about 80% to get even gain across the channels.

Thanks for the info.

Yes...I usually have my mixer gains around 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock, so I'll make sure the laptop's volume is set to around 80%.

Corabar Steve
28-11-2008, 10:51 AM
a few things have occurred to me.

1. You'd better hope the Laptop has a decent sound card. If it sounds bad who's going to look the prat in most people's eyes, the chap who's laptop it is or the chap that has the "professional sound system"?

2. You may need a GLI.

3. If you do then you will need completely different leads to the one that you mentioned, as I've only ever seen GLIs with twin phono input / output (although I await correction on whether GLIs are available with jack sockets)

Totally Plucked
28-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Another big factor to consider when using a laptop, is some of them suffer terribly with 'Ground hum' (earth loop) and need an in line isolator.

spin mobile disco
28-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Another big factor to consider when using a laptop, is some of them suffer terribly with 'Ground hum' (earth loop) and need an in line isolator.

Thats what a GLI is as Steve said

Totally Plucked
28-11-2008, 02:35 PM
OOps ! didn't realise that's what GLI stood for (Ground loop isolator) got it now !

Oh well maybe there's a few others that didn't realise what GLI stood for.

rob1963
28-11-2008, 03:08 PM

If it DID have bad ground hum, couldn't it just be unplugged from the mains?

CRAZY K
28-11-2008, 03:40 PM
I require a lead with a 3.5mm stereo plug on one end & a quarter inch stereo plug on the other...

Correct--I dont think I have seen those for sale as a complete lead.

I made my own.

Re the hum I have had two people go through my system with laptops, mine as well thats 3 ---no problems--also if its a newish laptop the sound quality should be good enough for whatever they are giving you to play--providing its MP3 or WMA and not some home made botched up recording.

Lets face it--compared to most peoples laptop or PC your system should sound a lot better!

However you might be unlucky--

As Steve says it may sound :Censored:

Make a point of announcing ( in your best penetrating DJ voice) that its their equipment not yours :D :D :D

Alternatively you could ask them to make up a CD for you to play or a memory stick ---assuming of course they have a Pro Dub Licence like you.

:Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

CRAZY K

Mission
28-11-2008, 04:06 PM
You could run off the laptop battery if its a short show 45 minutes - 1 hour etc.

My Acer laptops needed the GLI, when using the output from the headphone socket. I thought when I got a USB mixer the hum would go but it didn't. In the end had to cut the earth wire on the Laptop PSU. Not the best thing to do but I had no other choice.

Shame you were not a bit nearer Rob as I have a spare GLI and all the cables, adaptors you will probably need. If you struggle to get the bits you need let me know over this weekend and I could drop them in the post on monday for you to use.

Excalibur
28-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Rob, now brace yourself for this, cos I'm going to suggest that you spend money on equipment! :eek: :eek:
Steve's caution is well founded. A Ground Loop Isolator is essential. Otherwise you may find that you can't use the lappy on mains. Good mews, it's less than a tenner, even from Maplins. Even cheaper on ebay.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=33172

You can use the headphone out, but I'd recommend an external soundcard. Bad news, could be thirty quid! :eek: :eek: This looks like mine, but I'm not sure. It really is a huge improvement over the headphone out, though as Crazy will doubtless point out, that can be a viable option. Mine is acceptable, but my cheap Soundblaster card is way better.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97120

Edit: I see Mr Smartbottom Cowboy can type faster than me. I hear what he says, but I wouldn't take that risk.

CRAZY K
28-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Rob, now brace yourself for this, cos I'm going to suggest that you spend money on equipment! :eek: :eek:
Steve's caution is well founded. A Ground Loop Isolator is essential. Otherwise you may find that you can't use the lappy on mains. Good mews, it's less than a tenner, even from Maplins. Even cheaper on ebay.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=33172

You can use the headphone out, but I'd recommend an external soundcard. Bad news, could be thirty quid! :eek: :eek: This looks like mine, but I'm not sure. It really is a huge improvement over the headphone out, though as Crazy will doubtless point out, that can be a viable option. Mine is acceptable, but my cheap Soundblaster card is way better.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97120

Edit: I see Mr Smartbottom Cowboy can type faster than me. I hear what he says, but I wouldn't take that risk.

Well if the customer is willling to pay for the items--Isolator and Soundcard thats fine--

If they are not---then I would say tough--I wouldnt pay for it--why should you?

You didnt agree to this when you set up the contract-- or did you:eek:

Its the same as--can the Band play through the PA discussion.

I have had the two instances of using unknown laptops and there was no problem.

You certainly should flag this up with the client or else there could be trouble--have you been paid in advance?:D :D :D

A hum is annoying but can be removed as someone has suggested by temporarily suspending the earth lead--not great for safety--but who is going to get electrocuted---only the DJ so no worries there

:sofa:

CRAZY K

Excalibur
28-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Well if the customer is willling to pay for the items--Isolator and Soundcard thats fine--

If they are not---then I would say tough--I wouldnt pay for it--why should you?

CRAZY K

Alan, it won't be money wasted though. How much longer can Rob tolerate the stigma of being the lowest of the low, an iPod DJ, before he goes one step up the ladder, and becomes a Laptop DJ? :confused: :D :D :D :D :D

CRAZY K
28-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Alan, it won't be money wasted though. How much longer can Rob tolerate the stigma of being the lowest of the low, an iPod DJ, before he goes one step up the ladder, and becomes a Laptop DJ? :confused: :D :D :D :D :D

Then finally reaches the Summit--

and buys a second hand Cortex off ebay :cool:

CRAZY K

rob1963
29-11-2008, 11:32 AM

Don't be silly!

I don't mind paying for a lead, but that's where the spending ends!

From what I can make out, it's only a short presentation, so if it hums I'll just get them to unplug it from the mains.

I've had people plug a laptop into my system a couple of times before & there were no problems, so I don't see why there should be this time.

Shame you were not a bit nearer Rob as I have a spare GLI and all the cables, adaptors you will probably need. If you struggle to get the bits you need let me know over this weekend and I could drop them in the post on monday for you to use.

I appreciate the offer, Mission...but I think I'll be ok, as I've done the same thing a couple of times before & it's been fine.

If there ARE problems, I'll just make a joke that they must have a dodgy laptop!

:D

CRAZY K
29-11-2008, 12:13 PM
I appreciate the offer, Mission...but I think I'll be ok, as I've done the same thing a couple of times before & it's been fine.

If there ARE problems, I'll just make a joke that they must have a dodgy laptop!

:D

I would just remind the client that the Laptop battery needs to be fully charged--in case they dont realise and use it on battery before handing it to you.

From memory all the Laptops through my system have been on mains power.

We all know how thoughtful customers are --dont we;)

CRAZY K

rob1963
29-11-2008, 01:05 PM
I would just remind the client that the Laptop battery needs to be fully charged--in case they dont realise and use it on battery before handing it to you.

Will do, Crazy :thumbsup: