PDA

View Full Version : Daft T-bar setup question

sp-entertainment
28-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Hi All

In which order do you set your T-bar's up do you raise to the desired hight then mount the lights or mount the lights first

the reason I'm asking is I've set all my lights up on the T-bar and i can't raise it so I'm either doing it the wrong way or I'm i weakling :Laugh:

any tips on the best way to do it will be appreciated

I'm have 4 effects 2x acme Leo's and 2x Acme Scimitars they weigh about 9kg each

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-11-2008, 10:33 AM

My tip would be to buy a winch stand. Makes things a lot easier.

rob1963
28-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi All

In which order do you set your T-bar's up do you raise to the desired hight then mount the lights or mount the lights first

the reason I'm asking is I've set all my lights up on the T-bar and i can't raise it so I'm either doing it the wrong way or I'm i weakling :Laugh:

I'm have 4 effects 2x acme Leo's and 2x Acme Scimitars they weigh about 9kg each

Hi SP,

I use t-bars, and set them to the required height first, and THEN hang the lights on them...because I'm also a weakling!

Apart from that, I just find that's the easiest way to do it.

sp-entertainment
28-11-2008, 10:58 AM
thanks

my mate who used to do disco's said it easy there's just a knack to it so i wondered if i was doing something wrong he also mentioned that the one's with winche's arn't that good

UltraBeat Entertainment
28-11-2008, 11:04 AM
The one thing i had problems with when i used the T bar stands is you must get the feet positioned correctly to make it stable unless it will fall over!!!:eek:

Ensure their are 2 legs under each side of the top bar and 1 behind to stop it falling back.

rob1963
28-11-2008, 11:17 AM
The one thing i had problems with when i used the T bar stands is you must get the feet positioned correctly to make it stable unless it will fall over!!!:eek:

Wow Spud...I've never had that problem.

I always set the stand up with the legs spread (ooh err) as far as they will go, and also try to load the t-bar evenly on each side, so maybe thats why I've never had a problem.

Danno13
28-11-2008, 11:19 AM
my mate who used to do disco's said it easy there's just a knack to it so i wondered if i was doing something wrong he also mentioned that the one's with winche's arn't that good

Thats a bit of blanket statement to make. There are good and bad winch stands, don't be too stingy and you'll get something pretty decent.

These caught my eye recently, they look like copies of a manfrotto stand, but have a better weight rating -

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_windup_370.htm

sp-entertainment
28-11-2008, 11:19 AM
thanks for the info so far

i'm going to have a trail run this wekend as i will have finished servicing the lights and the par can's have arrived too so i can mount them :)

music-2-play
28-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Get a crank stand instead then. They're a little more reliable than a winch stand (less bits to go wrong), though they take a while to wind up. I picked up a Eurolite one for about £110 I think, but no T-Bar included. Build quality is excellent.

If you wan't to keep lifting the standbad T-Bar one - my old approach was to

1)brace one of you legs (human leg) on one of the rods that connect the legs (light stand leg) to the main body of the ligth stand

2) with one hand, grab the shaft :eek: of the light stand and push up and with the other, unscrew the height adjustment screw....

3) not, one of two things will happen....

- you're not strong enough to raise the stand and all the lights come crashing down

or

- you're just about storng enough to push the lights up --- then when you've got it to the right height, you use you're other hand to tighten the height adjustment screw again...voila

or

get a crank stand

Danno13
28-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Or a step ladder so you can put the lights on when the stand is fully erect.

sp-entertainment
28-11-2008, 12:49 PM
i think what i might do for now as i spent a small fortune already is put the led pars and 2 of the effects
then raise to desired hight then put the last 2 on

and for a long term fix i might get another t-bar and spread the effects and have 2 on each as it will still be cheaper then one crank stand :D

rob1963
29-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Or a step ladder so you can put the lights on when the stand is fully erect.

I always keep a ladder in the van in case I need to use it for this.

It's not my REAL ladder, though...it's my step ladder.

:rofl:

CRAZY K
29-11-2008, 12:07 PM
I always keep a ladder in the van in case I need to use it for this.

It's not my REAL ladder, though...it's my step ladder.

You mean your not a REAL DJ/ CALLER and stand on your speakers or Subs
:Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

If you can afford a wind up its the safest as Daz says---

CRAZY K

rob1963
29-11-2008, 01:08 PM
If you can afford a wind up its the safest as Daz says---

True, but in MY case its cost would equate to about 5 years equipment budget!

djsteve10
29-11-2008, 01:51 PM
I would go for a winch stand every time.

I would rather take the safe approach and get the lights elevated safely without struggling or having the risk that the T-bar could go over as you are trying to raise it up.

I also think winch stands look a lot more pro when you are setting up or taking down in a venue rather than making a scene trying to get the lights up or down.

One Vision
01-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Hi All

I would definitely raise the bar first with that kind of load.
Id imagine depending on your height that the bar is about head height at its lowest point, so trying to lift 36kg from there up isn't an easy task.

Kernow
01-12-2008, 03:53 PM
I would definitely raise the bar first with that kind of load.
Id imagine depending on your height that the bar is about head height at its lowest point, so trying to lift 36kg from there up isn't an easy task.

No wonder on the 1606 map 'Here Be Mighty Men' is printed only around the Lizard ? :D

Seriously if you are considering raising manually, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it, a loaded bar.... you have to really sure that the weight distribution is pretty equal on both arms of the 'T'.

There is otherwise a real risk of distorting or warping the centre upright section, especially on the aluminium ones. This could (a) make it a real pain getting it down again and/or (b) cause it to fracture.

nigelwright7557
01-12-2008, 08:39 PM
You could put the stand up then add one or two lights to it then raise it.
Then stand on a chair to add any further lights.

sp-entertainment
02-12-2008, 08:21 AM
after playing about this weekend i think the safest and easiest way it to raise it first then mount the lights and when i get more established i might get myself a truss or another T-bar :)

thanks for all the advice and tips

Cj_The_Dj
02-12-2008, 09:24 AM
would'nt you be better of with a deck stand goal post and be 100% self supporting?

soundtracker
02-12-2008, 09:36 AM

HEALTH AND SAFETY! PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW THIS ADVICE!!

sp-entertainment
02-12-2008, 09:50 AM
HEALTH AND SAFETY! PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW THIS ADVICE!!

don't worry i'll be using a small step ladder when i do setup that way

might use a stand with goal post not sure yet will decide later when i start earning :D i do like then but they have to be compact when pcked up as i only have use of a car at the minute

soundtracker
02-12-2008, 09:56 AM
don't worry i'll be using a small step ladder when i do setup that way

might use a stand with goal post not sure yet will decide later when i start earning :D i do like then but they have to be compact when pcked up as i only have use of a car at the minute

Well done, I didn't think you'd be that stupid!:)

discodean
02-12-2008, 04:36 PM

you got to be joking.....use a chair... the office ones are good, you could roll between t bars:D

save you pennys and buy a winch.