PDA

View Full Version : Brand Spanking New Website

SC Events
29-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have just finished working on a brand new website and I just wanted to know what you think. Good and bad comments accepted - then I can improve it!

the URL is: www.sjsdiscos.co.uk

and our old one (to compare) is: www.sjsdiscos.tk

Cheers,

SJS

Corabar Steve
29-11-2008, 09:10 AM
How much better is that?? Unmeasurable.

No ads, no white on black text, a menu on each page so you don't have to go via the home page each time, a relaxing colour scheme & no painfully slow transitions from page to page.

I couldn't wait to get away from the old site, whereas the new one I'd be happy to have a look around until I was satisfied that you were the DJs for my party.

Should get you more enquiries at the very least. What you do with them is then up to you.

Well done.

SC Events
29-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Thank You.

I prefer it! :) The other site looks :pants: now haha

Shaun
29-11-2008, 10:05 AM
It appears to be an 'all flash' site, which isn't going to do you any favours with regards to S.E.O. It does look a great deal better appearance wise, but I fear your site could hinder you more than help you due to it being all flash.

Marc J
29-11-2008, 05:04 PM
It appears to be an 'all flash' site, which isn't going to do you any favours with regards to S.E.O. It does look a great deal better appearance wise, but I fear your site could hinder you more than help you due to it being all flash.

Actually, for once (I've said it enough times lol) although the site relies on Flash for a lot of stuff, it actually presents a not too bad looking non flash version if you don't have it - see the attached (scaled 50% for the forum).

Nice - and a vast improvement over the old one!

rob1963
29-11-2008, 08:17 PM
What an improvement...although with all due respect, it would have been virtually impossible NOT to improve on the previous site!

I just have a few comments.

On the home page I'd add a couple of photos, remove the hit counter & increase your deposit if it really IS the paltry £15 stated, which in my opinion is nowhere NEAR enough.

I'd also replace the equipment page with a "frequently asked questions" page, as this would be a thousand more times more relevant & useful to potential clients.

Finally, I'd set up your PLI & PAT certificates so that they come up in a readable size either when clicked on or hovered over, as they are far to small to see at present...and could be virtually anything at all!

Hope this helps.

:)

SC Events
30-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks everyone,

I'll see what I can do to improve it when I get a few minutes.

SJS

Totally Plucked
30-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Agree with most of the other comments 100% improvement of the other site, it was far too busy with those ads poping up everywhere.
Nice clean interface with the new site, not a criticism but consider some decent gallery shots.

Tony Scott
30-11-2008, 03:51 PM
What an improvement...although with all due respect, it would have been virtually impossible NOT to improve on the previous site!

I just have a few comments.

On the home page I'd add a couple of photos, remove the hit counter & increase your deposit if it really IS the paltry £15 stated, which in my opinion is nowhere NEAR enough.

I'd also replace the equipment page with a "frequently asked questions" page, as this would be a thousand more times more relevant & useful to potential clients.

Finally, I'd set up your PLI & PAT certificates so that they come up in a readable size either when clicked on or hovered over, as they are far to small to see at present...and could be virtually anything at all!

Hope this helps.

:)

Much better!

I find myself in agreement with Rob on every point, especially on the equipment page thing.
I once had a run in with Rob about the usefulness of a list of equipment to the client, I now have to agree that he was right and it was a waste of time having the list there......I was just willy waving to other DJ's (not like me) :D :D

SC Events
30-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Gallery.........that's a good idea! :D

Do any of you know how to make a .pdf ?

After you mentioned it, Rob, I found a website, where you had to click on PAT or PLI to view the certificates and I wanted to try it but I don't know how to do a .pdf, i'm usually pretty good at IT stuff but this has stumped me, as my IT = Ripping PC's apart!

I think the website belongs to one of the MDD members?

Thanks for all your comments,

SJS

Marc J
30-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Do any of you know how to make a .pdf ?...I don't know how to do a .pdf, i'm usually pretty good at IT stuff but this has stumped me, as my IT = Ripping PC's apart!

After a quick search (never used it so can't say if it's any good): http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

Jiggles
30-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Primo PDF creator.

Andy Westcott
30-11-2008, 06:11 PM
Good site, AND IT WORKS WITHOUT FLASH OR JAVASCRIPT!! Well done.

I would, however, remove the 'under construction' bit at the bottom, and certainly the link to the old site.

SC Events
30-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks,

Where is the 'Under Construction' text? :shrug:

It's ok, I disabled Flash and I can see it now. However, it won't let me edit it in the HTML format! Any ideas anyone?

SJS

rob1963
30-11-2008, 09:45 PM
I find myself in agreement with Rob on every point, especially on the equipment page thing.

:thumbsup:

I once had a run in with Rob about the usefulness of a list of equipment to the client, I now have to agree that he was right and it was a waste of time having the list there

Thank you, Tony. I appreciate your honesty.

It's more than some people's life is worth to concede that they agree with me about ANYTHING...let alone that I've changed their mind about something!

Respect!

:thumbsup:

Pe7e
01-12-2008, 01:09 PM
The site's a big improvement from the first one, but there's plenty of things you could improve. The copy could be improved throughout the site. For instance, on the first page you have used 'very' three times and 'vast' once in four sentences, too many superlatives IMO, less is more. On the meet the DJ's page (I like the idea by the way) you don't do yourselves any favours with the bio's, for instance;

He has helped run many discos with friends, he also has experience presenting on a local Radio Station. He is the Modern Music Man!

IMO it makes him sound like an amature just starting out, I would have used something along the lines of

Known to many for his work on local radio, Scot's our DJ of choice for the younger crowd

Here's a rewrite for DJ Steve;

For a 40th, 50th birthday, a 70's disco or maybe an 80's night, DJ Steve's your man. What better choice than a guy who spun the vinyl first time around

The no spam message on the bottom of the first page won't stop the spammers, but it does make you look a bit grumpy and unfriendly.
Also I would move the paypal link off the first page, sell yourselves a bit before 'asking' for money, it comes over to me as you are more interested in collecting a deposit than providing your service

SC Events
01-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Hi guys,

Is this any better:

James: "With all the Disco Classics and Party Cheese, James is the perfect party DJ"

Steve: "With an extensive knowledge of 70's and 80's music, Steve, is the perfect man for a 40th, 50th, 70's Disco or even an 80's night!"

Me: "Popular as a presenter on a local Radio Station, Scott is the perfect DJ for the younger crowd" - Reworded slightly

I'm Scott :zip:

Do you mind if I use your ideas, Pe7e?

SJS

Pe7e
01-12-2008, 02:54 PM
You're welcome to use any of the copy you want.

SC Events
01-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Thank You,

SJS