PDA

View Full Version : Method Statement

Dynamic Entertainment
03-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Ive been asked to produce a method statement for one of the venues i work at (new GM). I already have a risk assessment in place (thanks to Daz for the pointers). I contacted HSE and was told that a method statement wasnt really relevent for a mobile disco as it was more for construction. Any thoutghts/help would be much appreciated.

Tony Scott
03-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Ive been asked to produce a method statement for one of the venues i work at (new GM). I already have a risk assessment in place (thanks to Daz for the pointers). I contacted HSE and was told that a method statement wasnt really relevent for a mobile disco as it was more for construction. Any thoutghts/help would be much appreciated.

I used to have to submit risk assesments and method statements when I worked in construction and this is my understanding of what is required:

A method statement should give a detailed account of the safety measures you have/will put in place to protect you, your operatives and the general public against the risks you have identified in your risk assessment.

A Risk Assessment identifies the risks.

A Method Statement details what you are going to do to protect againsts those risks. It should include details of any safety equipment, insurance, safety testing. Also it needs to show how you will prevent trip hazards, falling equipment(safety chains on lights etc), electrical hazards and general safety issues.

You need to think through what could go wrong(risk assessing) and show what you will do to prevent it happening(stating your methods)

Hope this helps? :)

Dynamic Entertainment
03-12-2008, 08:24 PM
So, from the sounds of it ive already done the method statement by combining it with my risk assessment. I.e. Ive put that the risk is "Tripping over tripod legs" and a new section on minimising the risk by "marking up the legs with hazard tape, not placing in a location where through access is required, etc". Another example: Risk: Falling effects lighting. Reduction: Using safety cables.

Does this sould like what is wanted from the method statement rolled into the Risk assessment?

Tony Scott
03-12-2008, 08:34 PM
So, from the sounds of it ive already done the method statement by combining it with my risk assessment. I.e. Ive put that the risk is "Tripping over tripod legs" and a new section on minimising the risk by "marking up the legs with hazard tape, not placing in a location where through access is required, etc". Another example: Risk: Falling effects lighting. Reduction: Using safety cables.

Does this sould like what is wanted from the method statement rolled into the Risk assessment?

Yeah that sounds spot-on, the generic combined thing you have should be more than adequate.

In construction you need a very detailed and thourough task specific method statement for every task that is to be carried out, this is due to the very high risks involved. :)

Dynamic Entertainment
03-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the help.:beer1:

yourdj
03-12-2008, 08:45 PM
God are we in america?

i'm all up for safe working but where has simple common sense gone? lawyers..

surely a risk assessment and public liability is enough.

when your in construction thats good but most DJ's do not pose such a H&S threat as everything is self contained unless you have a massive lighting rig with wires and stands all over the place.

I did a gig recently in a very prestigious south england venue and all they went on about all night was health and safety.

I have done most of the top venues in the area and i am more than used to this but this was really OTT all night. all the staff were trained to be paranoid to everything!

i own a club so i know all about it, but someone in the venue spilt a drink and they moped, dried it up and stuck a sign up saying it was wet.

The funny thing was i watched about 30 people fall over the sign on the middle of the dance floor which poses a far more immanent threat than a semi wet surface!

Stupid (but they are covered)!

Dynamic Entertainment
03-12-2008, 08:54 PM
God are we in america?

i'm all up for safe working but where has simple common sense gone? lawyers..

surely a risk assessment and public liability is enough.

when your in construction thats good but most DJ's do not pose such a H&S threat.

I agree, but there you go. Blame, claim... Getting stupid.

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-12-2008, 09:04 PM
I have a method statement for dance floors, but have never produced one or been asked for a disco.

Dynamic Entertainment
03-12-2008, 09:07 PM
I have a method statement for dance floors, but have never produced one or been asked for a disco.

Think its this GM, been a pain in the arse to be honest. Wanted to "re-negotiate" the xmas fees, even thought ive a signed and sealed contract with the hotel. He tried to pull the "but that was the previous manager". Told him that if he had read the contract correctly it was with the company not the individual. The Reasturant manager seems to think this guy has a friend who is a £60 Sid.......

TonyB
03-12-2008, 09:22 PM
I had to do one to get on a council preferred list of supplier. This is what I done and they accepted (feel free to use modify etc):

1) Check that there is safe access to the performing area and unloading will not cause a hazard.

2) Check electrical socket with a plug in tester and ensure the tester indicates a “pass”.

3) If the socket does not have a built in RCD, then plug in ones are to be used for each socket used (supplied by DJ). RCD’s are to be tested using the test button before use.

4) All electrical equipment and cables are to be visually checked for any signs of damage before being used.

5) Ensure that there is sufficient room to set up in a safe way.

6) Ensure that the setup does not obstruct any walkways or designated fire exits.

7) Disco equipment is to be set up so that there are no protruding stand legs or other items that could be a trip hazard.

8) Any trailing leads that could be a trip hazard are to be taped down.

9) All overhead lighting is to be additionally secured with safety cables or straps.

10) When using T-bars for lighting, the weight must be evenly distributed on both sides and total weight must not exceed the handling capacity of the T-bar.

11) No drinks or other liquid in glasses or similar are to be allowed behind the DJ booth near any electrical equipment. Drinks such as bottled water with anti spill spouts only are to be used.

12) The DJ is to familiarise himself with emergency procedures at the premises, the location of fire extinguishers and the location of any fire alarm activation point.

13) The DJ is to check with the venue management to ensure that smoke machines can be used if the client has requested usage of them.

14) The DJ is to check the finishing time with the venue management to ensure that it is compliant with the venues licence(s).

Dynamic Entertainment
03-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Cheers Tony. I suppose it wont harm to have something like this to compliment the risk assessment.

Cheers.

cosmicdiscos
14-12-2008, 09:44 PM
method statement is a bit over the top. i have to use them as an electrician, but only when i'm dealing with very high voltage or work in substations.