PDA

View Full Version : Single sub recommendation

Mark Wild
15-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Set up my speakers today via my new Allen & Heath powered mixer, now my JBL Eon 15's (passive) at 250 watts sounded quite nice even though i was hitting them hard with the 500 watts per side amp and was a little worried I'd damage them. Nice clear sound but a bit toppy in my opinion especially for bigger venues. I thought if i add a decent active sub maybe I can input a little richness into the sound. Budgets tight mind you hence just the one sub, £300 - 400 tops. I did search "sub" but it kept coming back with nothing, not sure why, so apologies for a repetitive threat (if indeed it is)

Thanks fellas,

Mark

Excalibur
15-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Set up my speakers today via my new Allen & Heath powered mixer, now my JBL Eon 15's (passive) at 250 watts sounded quite nice even though i was hitting them hard with the 500 watts per side amp and was a little worried I'd damage them. Nice clear sound but a bit toppy in my opinion especially for bigger venues. I thought if i add a decent active sub maybe I can input a little richness into the sound. Budgets tight mind you hence just the one sub, £300 - 400 tops. I did search "sub" but it kept coming back with nothing, not sure why, so apologies for a repetitive threat (if indeed it is)

Thanks fellas,

Mark

No idea about actives, but since you have spare amp capacity, would dropping passive subs under the JBL's help? If the JBL'S are 4ohm, then get Peavey Prosubs, if they're 8 ohms, then go for Class-D. Either option below £300, and would give richness to your sound, as requested, not necessarily a big volume increase. Just a thought.

Mark Wild
15-12-2008, 07:15 PM
No idea about actives, but since you have spare amp capacity, would dropping passive subs under the JBL's help? If the JBL'S are 4ohm, then get Peavey Prosubs, if they're 8 ohms, then go for Class-D. Either option below £300, and would give richness to your sound, as requested, not necessarily a big volume increase. Just a thought.

The JBL's are 8 Ohms mate, I'll go and have a browse Class-D. No clue why I put active, its been a long day :p

mr rusty
15-12-2008, 07:17 PM
We run a single Cerwin Vega 500RMS passive sub off one side of a Numark dimension 4 which is also our spare amp.

ours is a an older CV sub15, but there's one similar here

http://tinyurl.com/5hot3h

Really adds some oomph to the sound!

Running a passive sub and getting a second amp does give you a backup amp for your tops and IMHO is a more robust solution than an active sub.

Excalibur
15-12-2008, 07:51 PM
The JBL's are 8 Ohms mate, I'll go and have a browse Class-D. No clue why I put active, its been a long day :p

Because if you desperately wanted to only take ONE sub with you, active is in my opinion an easier option. I don't have a big problem with Mr Rusty's solution, it's not what I would do, but that doesn't make it wrong.