PDA

View Full Version : High Passout.

Penfold42
16-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Tried this Saturday instead of full range.

Went from bass bins to tops using the high pass out and all I got was a humming.....bit like the mixer on full with the power on......:confused:

Is there something else I need to do? :o

or is something 'Fubar'?

Thanks in advance. :)

Tom
16-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Evening Tony.

I also get this with my speaker setup.

Have you tryed different leads??? Could be an idea to check all the cables like all the solder points.

I am thinking of buying proper speakers cable instead of using microphone cable. I know the speakers are active but Im sure it will deliver a better signal.

Penfold42
16-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Have you tryed different leads??? Could be an idea to check all the cables like all the solder points.

Hi ya Tom....:)

Great minds eh.......someone told me this tonight and i've already bought new leads.......so maybe try that.

When you did it - did the tops also squeal like a pig?

A1DL
16-12-2008, 09:23 PM
I am thinking of buying proper speakers cable instead of using microphone cable. I know the speakers are active but Im sure it will deliver a better signal.

Tom, you don't want to use speaker cable to take a line level signal from your mixer to your powered speakers. High quality microphone cable (Klotz, Vandamme, etc) with Neutrik connectors is what you want matey :)

Tom
16-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Hi ya Tom....:)

Great minds eh.......someone told me this tonight and i've already bought new leads.......so maybe try that.

When you did it - did the tops also squeal like a pig?

Great minds. lol.

Mine have never made that type of noise. Just a loud hiss but I blame the cheap cables I use.

Tom, you don't want to use speaker cable to take a line level signal from your mixer to your powered speakers. High quality microphone cable (Klotz, Vandamme, etc) with Neutrik connectors is what you want matey :)

Thanks for that. :)

I will look in to that as I will b making up some new power leads for the speakers so will make up some new signal leads for the speakers too.

Excalibur
16-12-2008, 10:21 PM

Went from bass bins to tops using the high pass out and all I got was a humming.....bit like the mixer on full with the power on......:confused:

or is something 'Fubar'?

I'm not at all skilled with actives, but it sounds like there's no connection. Either wired to wrong pins ( unlikely) or a switch not switched somewhere.

JAMdisco
17-12-2008, 07:40 AM

or is something 'Fubar'?

Are these the Mackies. If so, as you know I used to have these, had no problems using high pass output from bass bins. In fact you should be using this rather than full range out (or thru out) - that is for connection to another bass bin.

The only thing I can think of is that the cable could be wired to the wrong pin. Did you check the cable by plugging it directly into the tops.

Keep us informed.

Excalibur
17-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Are these the Mackies. If so, as you know I used to have these, had no problems using high pass output from bass bins. In fact you should be using this rather than full range out (or thru out) - that is for connection to another bass bin.

The only thing I can think of is that the cable could be wired to the wrong pin. Did you check the cable by plugging it directly into the tops.

Keep us informed.

Carlsbro Gammas I think. I guesed wrong pin, or more likely a switch not pressed in.

Penfold42
22-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Right....I've tried new leads....still same problem.

So i'm miffed....:(

nigelwright7557
22-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Evening Tony.

I also get this with my speaker setup.

A mic cable would be too thin for high power speakers.
I make my own speaker cables out of good quality 13 amp mains cable.

Tom
22-12-2008, 08:24 PM
I make my own speaker cables out of good quality 13 amp mains cable.

For sending a signal from the mixer to an active speaker. :eek:

Dont think so somehow.

Read what A1DL posted earlier in this thread.

If it was for a passive setup, then good thick speaker cable would work yeah, but i do believe that if you speaker cable is too thick then you can loose power???

Tony, what mixer are you using???

Penfold42
22-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Tony, what mixer are you using???

Denon 500

Tom
22-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Denon 500

I don't know if this would help but on the back of the mixer there is a -10db for the master out. If you turn this on, it will take the whole volume down, which I think might help reduce the high pitch problem you are having.

Your output from the speakers will be slightly less but if you are using subs then you dont need to worry. The mackies will perform very well when you take the bass away from them so you can just turn them up on the back of the speaker. :)

Penfold42
22-12-2008, 08:32 PM
I don't know if this would help but on the back of the mixer there is a -10db for the master out. If you turn this on, it will take the whole volume down, which I think might help reduce the high pitch problem you are having.
Mmmmm......I'll give it a whirl next time and let you know.

Thanks Tom. :)

Your output from the speakers will my slight less but if you are using subs then you dont need to worry. The mackies will perform very well when you take the bass away from them so you can just turn them up on the back of the speaker. :)

...and again Tom. :)

Excalibur
22-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Still sounds to me as if there's no signal. Can you substitute similar style subs for a comparison? Or tops with your subs? Might pinpoint the problem.
Or an amp and passive tops from your subs?

Penfold42
22-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Still sounds to me as if there's no signal. Can you substitute similar style subs for a comparison? Or tops with your subs? Might pinpoint the problem.
Or an amp and passive tops from your subs?

I'll get them out after Christmas and give that a try.........Thanks. :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-12-2008, 08:47 PM

And for powered speakers?

Excalibur
22-12-2008, 08:50 PM
And for powered speakers?

I don't think your respective Trains of thought are heading for the same station mate. ;) ;) :( :(

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-12-2008, 08:51 PM
I don't think your respective Trains of thought are heading for the same station mate. ;) ;) :( :(

I don't think Nigel read the thread properly. ;)

Penfold42
22-12-2008, 08:52 PM

http://tux.crystalxp.net/png/brunocb-sherlock-holmes-tux-5975.png

Excalibur
22-12-2008, 08:57 PM

And the riposte which is sitting up begging to be typed, is impolite and unworthy, so I won't type it.

Corabar Steve
23-12-2008, 07:22 AM
Apart from the fact that if mains cable did the job as well / better, wouldn't Vandamme be making it?