PDA

View Full Version : Website re-design

JAMdisco
17-12-2008, 12:37 PM
I have just re-designed my website, contrary to customers comments, I didn't feel the design looked 'professional' enough.

Re-done the banner and a re-vamped contact page courtesy of Rob (cheers mate :beer1: ).

The contacts page doesn't work properly yet as I'm waiting for Marc J to 'work his magic' as he did with Excaliburs site (his update is next project).

Any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated as it still needs a few bits doing but would like to 'hone' it before I make any more changes.

Here it is:-

www.jamdisco.co.uk

rob1963
17-12-2008, 02:09 PM
The new site looks fine to me, Justin...although I can't compare it to your old site as I don't remember what that looked like.

The best part of your new site is definately the contact page...Very professional! ;)

:thumbsup:

JAMdisco
17-12-2008, 02:59 PM
...although I can't compare it to your old site as I don't remember what that looked like.

It was a lot more, shall we say, "colourful". I thought it looked ok when I first did it, but the more I looked at it, it reminded me of a childs design. I wanted something a little classier looking, so went with the black & white theme.

I reckon it looks ok, but time will tell I guess. :)

Excalibur
17-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Excellent. I'd like one just like it. :D :D
BTW. How much am I charging you for the bigger PA hire? :confused: :D :D :D

JAMdisco
17-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Excellent. I'd like one just like it. :D :D

And soon you will obi wan! :p ;) :D

BTW. How much am I charging you for the bigger PA hire? :confused: :D :D :D

As soon as I get an enquiry for a bigger PA or a hire PA I'll be in touch. :)

Marc J
17-12-2008, 04:33 PM
The contacts page doesn't work properly yet as I'm waiting for Marc J to 'work his magic' as he did with Excaliburs site

Done! ;)

JAMdisco
17-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Done! ;)

Cheers Marc, you're a star :D

Excalibur
17-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Cheers Marc, you're a star :D

Seconded.

JAMdisco
17-12-2008, 09:33 PM
OK chaps, I guess from the lack of constructive criticism, I have designed the perfect website ;) :D

Jiggles
17-12-2008, 10:03 PM
OK chaps, I guess from the lack of constructive criticism, I have designed the perfect website ;) :D

The text is too soft makes it blurry or the res is too low. :D

JAMdisco
18-12-2008, 07:20 AM
The text is too soft makes it blurry or the res is too low. :D

I pressume you mean the text on the banner?

If so, I agree with you, Something I did on Frontpage made it change from a very crisp Jpeg into a Gif file. Some resolution was lost in the conversion so will be looking for a workaround to change it shortly.

Thanks for that though - any other ideas - keep em coming please.
You can be as harsh as you like - I can take it ;) :D

Jiggles
18-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Thats what you get for using Front Page! :sj:

JAMdisco
18-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Thats what you get for using Front Page! :sj:

I can't see why this is a problem, it's proabably one of the most well-known pieces of web design software.

There are probably better ones and ultimately designing it from scratch using HTML is probably the best, but (a) My HTML knowledge is limited and (b) I acquired this software FOC (legally before you ask).

daz226
18-12-2008, 11:44 AM
save all of your images as "PNG" files and you will never loose quality because even when you compress to jpeg you loose a lot of quality

Vectis
18-12-2008, 11:52 AM
save all of your images as "PNG" files and you will never loose quality because even when you compress to jpeg you loose a lot of quality

PNG is unsupported by some browsers/versions and can have weird effects. The file sizes will also most likely be considerably larger, meaning longer download times and bandwidth hits.

http://www.r1ch.net/img-formats/

JAMdisco
18-12-2008, 12:46 PM
I did want to keep the image sizes down fior a faster load time. However PNG seems to be smaller than the GIF. Will have a play around tonight.

Marc J
18-12-2008, 04:05 PM
JPG 60% should be good enough for web (It's actually quite high). As Vexctis said, proper support for PNGs is probably not widespread enough yet to use them, and the filesize is usually quite large especially if including a transparency mask.

If you do need transparency your best with a GIF, but if you can match the background and make a JPG.