PDA

View Full Version : Registrant Information

Marc J
18-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Topic split from HERE (http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=16935)

This advice may be a little late - but you don't seem to be the legal registrant of your domain. I looked at your host and it seems they offer a free domain for the life of your hosting account - which is fair enough, but I seem to remember a company called FreeNetName years ago doing something similar and it turned out they remained the legal registrant and didn't ever let you transfer it away, effectively tying you to them (if your domain is important to you).

Very bad practice...you might want to check they'll let you transfer away if you ever want to in future.

Mark Wild
18-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Looks good Mark :)

This advice may be a little late - but you don't seem to be the legal registrant of your domain. I looked at your host and it seems they offer a free domain for the life of your hosting account - which is fair enough, but I seem to remember a company called FreeNetName years ago doing something similar and it turned out they remained the legal registrant and didn't ever let you transfer it away, effectively tying you to them (if your domain is important to you).

Very bad practice...you might want to check they'll let you transfer away if you ever want to in future.

Oh dear, yeah it is important to me, I took 2 years hosting with them but I'll look into that. Appreciate the heads up mate, I had no clue. :thumbs_up:
I'll get onto them.

Mark Wild
18-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Looks good Mark :)

Looks like i'm o.k Marc, if this is anything to go by :-

Max: Welcome to Live Chat support, how may I help you?
Mark: My domain name is it transferable?
Max: Hello
Mark: hello
Max: You can transfer the domain markwildentertainment.co.uk without any problem
Mark: so I own it?
Max: Domain name is registered under your name only
Mark: O.k thanks mate

Marc J
18-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Glad to hear it :)

Strange how it has their name and address in the registration details, though :confused:

discomobiledj
18-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Mine is the same as that.

Marc J
18-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Well, all I can say is it's very bad practice. You should always make sure that your details are entered as the registrant of your domain. Anything could happen to the company, and you could be left out in the cold as far as gaining control of your own domain(s).

Dynamic Entertainment
19-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Well, all I can say is it's very bad practice. You should always make sure that your details are entered as the registrant of your domain. Anything could happen to the company, and you could be left out in the cold as far as gaining control of your own domain(s).

Sorry to hijack the thread, but ive just noticed that the web design company i use (a friend) has my domain registered to him. Should i contact him and ask for it to be re-registered to me?

Marc J
20-12-2008, 11:32 AM
...but ive just noticed that the web design company i use (a friend) has my domain registered to him. Should i contact him and ask for it to be re-registered to me?

If you can, yes. There's no good reason a designer / registrant / agent would register a domain on your behalf using their own details.

Changing the registrant details for a .com / .net / .org is very simple, unfortunately a .co.uk is slightly more complicated and isn't free.

Sorry to hijack the threadThis topic does seem to have branched a little.... my fault guilty as charged! Maybe it could be split ;)

Shaun
20-12-2008, 11:46 AM
This topic does seem to have branched a little.... my fault guilty as charged! Maybe it could be split ;)

Done.

Mark Wild
20-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Does all seem a bit strange as they seem to have me T/A Just Host Ltd, maybe that changes if I transfer.

Whois Record
Domain name:
markwildentertainment.co.uk

Registrant:
Mark Wild

Trading as:
Just Host Ltd

Registrant type:
UK Individual