PDA

View Full Version : Kids Party Photos

Mayhem 1
21-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Greetings Chaps & Chapesses,

I hope your season is going well.

Reading another thread about photos has prompted me to show you how I do the "permission" thing to use/take pics at parties.

I give the hirer a copy of my "Media Warning" notice which they place by the door so when the mums & dads arrive they are asked to read it.

This works very well indeed in fact up to now I have never had any objection at all.

If anyone wants to use it please feel free.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parents ** Please Note **

As part of our service to clients we like to write up an event report for our website making “The Star Of The Day” feel really important.

Therefore we will be using both our Digital Camera & maybe our Camcorder at this event to get photo’s & video footage to accompany the event report.

If you do not wish your Child/Children to appear on any media that we use please inform the hirer so they can point them out to us so we know.

Many thanks for your co-operation
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corabar Steve
21-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Going by the way that kids tend to run around at parties, how can you ensure thet you don't include any of those children who's parents object?

Mayhem 1
21-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Hiya Steve,

Any pics I take are mailed to the hirer to check for me.

They then tell me which ones not to add to the event report.

It is a system that works really well for me.

nigelwright7557
22-12-2008, 10:51 PM
There is no way I would be taking pictures of kids at any of my discos.

You are leaving yourself wide open to being called a pervert.

I did a disco last year where the hirer asked me if i was going to take pictures. I said no. Thye complianed about a previous disco they had where the bloke was taking pictures without permission and they reckoned he was a pervert !

So for me, kids and pictures are a no go area.

Kids are a dodgy area at the best of times.
Many years ago I used to do kids parties and would hand out lollipops.
It wasnt until the wife asked me what would happen if a kiddy choked on one that I realised what a big mistake I was making.

Dynamic Entertainment
22-12-2008, 10:57 PM
But the idea on this thread Nigel is a way around making parents aware that photographs may be taken and specifcly states their purpose. Its not just a bloke with a camera taking photos that no one knows about. I think its a good idea and will work in 90% of cases.

Mayhem 1
23-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks for that Steve,

I always ask the hirer first and if they have no problems then I give them my "Media Notice" to show the other adults as they arrive with their children.

If the parents who hire me would rather I did not take pics then I dont simple as that.

If anyone goes through my event reports on my website they will clearly see that some of them have the heading "No Photos Requested"

This system I use has always worked well for me using the aformentioned "Media Notice" and in fact I have had many positive comments on how I do this.

And, I am always very suprised on how many parties I have secured from people viewing my site and seeing loads of happy children enjoying themselves at the parties.

As far as lolly pops I 100% aggree, I have now switched to bags of Harribo mate!!! far more child friendly.

axeman
23-12-2008, 11:59 AM
There is no way I would be taking pictures of kids at any of my discos.

i think i'm right in saying, all garry does is kids parties ! so he would have no pics at all !

Corabar Steve
23-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Mainly yes.

Vectis
23-12-2008, 02:04 PM
I make sure I get the hirer's permission to whip out the camera in the first place, but guarantee that I'll show them on demand all the pictures taken and will only ever use silhouettes for marketing purposes.

To date no-one's taken me up on the 'on demand' thing and I think the silhouette idea is extremely effective... http://www.vectisvibe.com/gallery/gallery.php

CRAZY K
23-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Hiya Steve,

Any pics I take are mailed to the hirer to check for me.

They then tell me which ones not to add to the event report.

It is a system that works really well for me.

I understand this approach Gary although its a minefield and probably impossible to cover all the angles.

CRAZY K

Shakermaker Promotions
23-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Nigel...here you go again mate!!!
You said that I was on dodgy ground because I was in contact with a girl at one of my nights when she was a bit 'wobbly' and now you are using the word 'pervert' on a forum that is accessible to all. Don't you actually think before you post your thoughts?

On both instances I am 100% positive that you are wrong and sorry, but I don't like the way it comes across to be honest with you. Mr Mayhem has his way of doing things and his written piece above is covering himself and stating his intentions to people out there that may think along the same lines as yourself. I am sure he is CRB checked if all he does is childrens parties and the extra literature is taking that extra step further.

...oh, and before anyone says..."Nigel was saying that Mr Mayhem was opening up himself to be called a pervert and was not actually calling him a pervert..." YES, I KNOW that...I just think the word stinks and should'nt be on here...simple as.

Mayhem 1
23-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks for that Shakermaker.

When I started this thread it was to help and advise what I do and what works for me that was it.

I am a bit worried that the thread is going to get out of hand so I apologies to all for starting it.

Dynamic Entertainment
23-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Thanks for that Shakermaker.

When I started this thread it was to help and advise what I do and what works for me that was it.

I am a bit worried that the thread is going to get out of hand so I apologies to all for starting it.

Debate from the masses is great, and its fun reading the waffle....

nigelwright7557
23-12-2008, 10:49 PM
But the idea on this thread Nigel is a way around making parents aware that photographs may be taken and specifcly states their purpose. Its not just a bloke with a camera taking photos that no one knows about. I think its a good idea and will work in 90% of cases.

So long as parents are taking pictures of their own kids and no one elses I cant see a problem.

Perhaps you should ask for permission in writing to cover your back ?

It all seems a bit complicated if there are a lot of kids and you cant remember who can and cant have a photo taken.

Personally I would steer well clear of the matter.

The_Blue_Dragon
24-12-2008, 01:54 AM
The place I do discos we have written confirmation from each parent that we have use any pictures taken for advertising and training purposes. A kid cant actually enter without the parents signing it but I guess Youth centres are different to partys that you do

milo
24-12-2008, 10:31 AM
I wouldn’t dream of taking pictures at any kid’s party – you have no way of knowing if any of the kids are on the child protection register and the hirer probably wouldn’t know either. There are at least two children in my son’s class who are on the CPR and if I were to publish pictures of them on my site I would be opening myself right up. Try to take the focus of the nasty P word for just a minute. If a child is placed in care and their whereabouts is not known by a parent, uncle, family member etc and you publish pictures of him/her at a school disco you have just given away their location and the child is at risk. Personally, I wouldn’t like the risk of that, so I don’t do it.

The only safe way around it would be to ask the organiser (at the time of booking) if you can take some pictures of certain children with signed consent forms and do the “photo shoot” at the start/end of the event, then when you publish the pictures on your site try to make sure they can not be right clicked and copied i.e. protect them in the same way a photographer would do on their site.

I think you should offer a discount or a small prize for the children who take part as a thank you – Don’t assume you can snap away for free. I only have a few pictures on my website and they are all close friends/family members, but in the new year I will be inviting loads of families to a free magic show/disco photo shoot where I will be setting up all of my equipment, props, bouncy castles etc and I will do a whole load of pictures for the new site with signed permission slips from all parents.

Dynamic Entertainment
24-12-2008, 03:20 PM
I think thats why the notice is placed where the adults fetching the children can see it and it is pointed out to them. You would expect the adult caring for the child to be aware of any such CPR issues and act accordingly.

Seen as Garry is a dedicated childrens entertainer im sure he has thought about, and sought advice, on this a fair bit more than most of us and has covered all bases. He is not "snapping away" so to speak.

Mayhem 1
24-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Steve,

That sums it up fully mate - Thank You :beer1:

Dynamic Entertainment
24-12-2008, 04:30 PM
No probs.

Milo - Just had a gander at your website and seen as you are also a Childrens entertainer im sure you have thought about this. Everyone has their own way of working and to be honest (and its just my overated opinion :D ) if i was looking for a childrens entertainer, I would prefer to see children having a good time, and not staged photographs of individual children.

Whilst we do have to take care, it can be taken too far. I have had alot of contact with schools (fully qualified Road Safety Officer, delivering Education and Training to children from Nursery to 6th forms) and 9 times out of 10 parents are happy to give verbal consent. Thats how schools do it when the kids forget the consent forms.

Incidentally, young children need comfort when the hurt themselves (to not comfort can also be viewed as neglect) and people are scared to give that comfort because of the scare-mongering that goes on. Best practice, according to the NSPCC, and used by the BHS and Cumbria Cycle Training is to get down to the childs level and hold their hands whilst reassuring them....but many folk on here would have a heart attack if they seen that. :D

milo
25-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Personally I think the world has gone a little mad and I don’t agree with the way things are. Never the less this is the world we are living in and quite often the disadvantaged/vulnerable children are the ones living in households where the parents/carers make a living from suing companies and putting in ludicrous claims. If anything the signs may be putting ideas into these sad people’s heads.

In my day job I wok as a loss adjuster and I would say about half of the claims I deal with are exaggerated if not entirely fraudulent. However, it’s cheaper to pay out a coupe of grand than to prepare a defence and pay for legal representation.

I know one local family who are claiming just about every benefit going, including disability, and yet they have a jet ski and two quad bikes, this same family have won a claim against the council for a fall on uneven pavements and they are currently suing Tesco for a trip in store! Their son is on the CPR and I have no doubt they would try their luck if they found a picture on my site.

I’m afraid it’s a sad time we are living in, but you really do need to cover your back by getting signed permission slips from all parents/guardians. I’m not saying it’s a bad idea, I do a similar disclaimer for my bouncy castles (don’t even get me started on that), but I would always recommend caution. You never know who you’re dealing with and you really don’t want it to come back and bite you in the arse.

djmarc
26-12-2008, 12:22 PM
i would do like mr mayhem has done its seems hes covered all aspects of the agreement to take a pic at a disco i have done the same sort of thing as what i offer in my kids party is a group photo at the end of the disco then i edit it and send it to the client just makes you look more pro so im with mr mayhem on this one guys

nice to see a forum that talks about kids discos very intresting

dj mark

starlight discos

djmarc
26-12-2008, 02:57 PM
im with mr mayhem on this one i do kids discos too and with my package i do a group photo at the end of the disco then i take it home and edit it into a small size photo with my discos name on the frame makes a good add on and i get a good responce form the client but like mr mayhem if u dont want your child or children in the pic then we wont put them in but i like to say that a contract stuck on the door is a great idea in which i use all the time to cover myself cos u do get someone at the party that tries to make something outta nothing so hats off to me mayhem as he has got that well and truly covered well done fella also just a quick note to say its nice to see a forum that does children entertainment thanks alot to everyone

Shaun
27-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Hi djmarc,

Welcome to the forum. Please take a moment to have a quick read of the forum rules regarding the usage of "text talk" as it's not permitted on the forum. If you could also spare a minute to introduce yourself to the members in the 'newbies' forum section it would be appreciated.

Enjoy the forum.

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-12-2008, 06:54 PM
I think he did introduce himself already Shaun.

djmarc
27-12-2008, 11:53 PM
hi nice to meet u too if u looked i did introduce myself to u all was u all drunk that nite lol
can someone please tell me what text talk all about as im only a newbie

thanks

mark

Corabar Steve
28-12-2008, 09:29 AM
hi nice to meet u too if u looked i did introduce myself to u all was u all drunk that nite lol
can someone please tell me what text talk all about as im only a newbie
thanks

mark

It's all covered in the Forum Rules (which you should've read before posting), but we're talking abbreviations that you would use when texting on a mobile phone (as highlighted above & things like L 8 R for later, M 8 for mate etc)

Apart from anything else as a U is a unit of measurement for rackmounted disco equipment it can get confusing if used in certain threads (not to mention the fact it's lazy & chavvy)

We prefer to use plain English around here (well, those of us that aren't called Damian or Badger do anyway :sj:)

djmarc
28-12-2008, 03:06 PM
ok i think i have got it right now im a newbie so one does intend to use the short hand but i do understand your rules so i will respect that and use plain english even though i am irish :) but i would like to say thank you for the pointing the fact out to me i will use real text from now on

ps could you give me a spell check please only joking have a nice day

cheers

mark

Corabar Steve
29-12-2008, 09:14 AM
ps could you give me a spell check please only joking have a nice day

cheers

mark
There's one on the Google toolbar, if you really need one. :sj: