PDA

View Full Version : help with Peavey CS800X

Nile
21-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Hi all

this swine switched itself off last night - it was hot and looks like the thermal cut in came in. It cooled down and switched on later -luckily I had backup and a few switched leads later meant I carried on.
any how this thing NEVER even gets remotely warm normally.
But it has various switches and sockets on the back and i am wondering if somthing was switched incorrectly due to having been knocked..

It has a 2 position switch for DDT ( whatever that is!) - defeat and enable. Set @defeat.
Bridge / mono / stereo - set @ stereo.

then 2 little buttons on each channel that say PL-2 next to them. showing the button pressed in as in and out as out :-). These are what I think MAY have been set wrong / knocked - if that would make any difference? They have an arrow next to them that points to a socket about 2" round that looks like it takes a plug with 11 points on it. and below that it says transformer (PL-2).

On the inputs and outputs I use the normal Jack High Z inputs and the standard Jack speaker outs which are minimum 2 Ohms .

It wasnt being pushed really at all- so am stumped.
????
any help appreciated.

cheers!

Nile.

Hibernating under his duvet till its all over!
:-)

nigelwright7557
21-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Could be the fan has died and isnt pushing through cold air ?

Did you cover the amp at all and stop the air flow through it ?

spin mobile disco
21-12-2008, 05:40 PM
You may find this helpful http://www.peavey.com/assets//literature/manuals/00510950.pdf

DDT is a compressor limiter system designed to protect your speakers and amp from damage in high volume situations.
It should be turned on to enable in most situations.

But I think the manual should help.

nigelwright7557
21-12-2008, 05:46 PM
You may find this helpful http://www.peavey.com/assets//literature/manuals/00510950.pdf

DDT is a compressor limiter system designed to protect your speakers and amp from damage in high volume situations.
It should be turned on to enable in most situations.

But I think the manual should help.

DDT distortion detection technique

Nile
21-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks
Will have a look at the manual.
Just found one meself after some searching- but may be different.
Yes it seems the DDT should be on. It has maybe ben knocked at some point.
As for the fan.
dunno.
no it wasnt blocked in any way. But even under high poiwer apps the thing never really gets off cold, and the fan never really seems to get past speed 1 very often, only occasionally. Will have to find a place where I can plug it all in an load it , as the fan only comes on under load.
The PL switches are something to do with transformers. One was pushed in - one was out. I really cant find what the default setting is. I 'guess' from what I have read that when not using transformer balanced input that this should be switched to out, but unsure if this would affect it for heating.

appreciated all..............

Nile
21-12-2008, 05:50 PM
ok that manual is for an 800 x 4 which is a different beastie.
Did find the correct manual under archived manuals tho - so thanks for that.

But again really doesnt make clear if having one of these buttons in the wrong position would make any issue.
cheers
Nile

nigelwright7557
21-12-2008, 05:54 PM
ok that manual is for an 800 x 4 which is a different beastie.
Did find the correct manual under archived manuals tho - so thanks for that.

But again really doesnt make clear if having one of these buttons in the wrong position would make any issue.
cheers
Nile

I would be shocked if any combination of buttons casued the amp to overheat.
These things are usually fool proof.
The last thing an amp maker wants is laods of returns coz someone pressed the wrong button !

I think your problem lies elsewhere.
You didnt use to low an impedance by the way you connected the speakers ?
Other than that if its not the fan then is likely to be a faulty amp.

Nile
21-12-2008, 06:21 PM
I would be shocked if any combination of buttons casued the amp to overheat.
These things are usually fool proof.
The last thing an amp maker wants is laods of returns coz someone pressed the wrong button !

I think your problem lies elsewhere.
You didnt use to low an impedance by the way you connected the speakers ?
Other than that if its not the fan then is likely to be a faulty amp.

I agree that it would be silly..
the PL2 switches are little buttons that are easily pressed in and out. Not like big switches that you really have to switch like the bridge / stereo switch.
It was wired up to 2 peavey 500 XT subs and 2 Peavey XT2 tops. Into the subs first which have a passive xover out to the tops still allowing a 4 ohm impedance. The amp is capable of 2 ohms tho - ( allegedly) but ran the rest of the night on my little Peavey XR684 mixer amp which is only 200 a side, with no worries. So I guess I'm with you at an amp problem. Will switch the DDT to on tho.
just need some remote place to wire it and turn it up to test it.

Nile
22-12-2008, 07:34 PM
thanks all for the help.
at least I know what some of the buttons are for now!
Took it apart - voltage to the fan - bit no worrkkeee fanneee!
got a mate who repairs stuff who should have a spare.
cheers again
and merry xmas!
Nile