PDA

View Full Version : LED Uplighting - Prices?

Bouncy Dancefloor
22-12-2008, 02:58 AM
Hi, i notice alot of DJ's seem to be offering Uplighting now as an additional extra (or even a standalone product)

Ive had 2 meetings with brides this weekend and mentioned it to both and they both seemed quite interested, i said id look into pricing and let them know

The venue is fairly small, i figured 4 or 6 would do, ive been looking at the Prolight Visio Par 56 LED Cans, they are about £70 each and work off a CA8 controller which is ideal for me

Im swaying towards getting 4, would be handy as i could put them on a T-bar for Band Hires too.

Costs 4 x Cans @ £70 Each £280
CA8 Controller £25
Various long lengths of DMX cable + Mains Extensions
4 Pieces of wood cut to size for use as Floorcans

So with new cables etc, id say just below £350 for a set of 4 with controller

How much to charge? Before i sat down and worked out the exact pricing, i had a figure of £50 for a set of 4, is this too cheap? or Too Much? Id probably hire the set of 4 on a T-bar with CA8 for Dry Hire for £40, i can see this getting hired out

LEENEWSOME
22-12-2008, 07:45 AM
I charge £175.00 for an 8 can system

Shakermaker Promotions
22-12-2008, 08:21 AM
I have 8 of the LEDJ Colour Bursts. They were hired on saturday night for a band and put on 2 T-Bars and I charged £100.00 which the band thought was great.
I have the same price in mind for uplighting too although it may take a little extra time setting it up, it won't take long before they have paid for themselves.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-12-2008, 09:08 AM
£25+vat per can and a minimum of £200.

Vectis
22-12-2008, 09:33 AM
£20 each, minimum of 6 cans, in conjunction with disco.

Bespoke pricing if not in conjunction with disco depending on venue, travel times, whether a simple colour controller or a proper desk is needed etc. etc. but I don't offer dry hire.

rob1963
22-12-2008, 03:35 PM
And people moan about me charging £75 for two lighting effects!

:shrug:

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-12-2008, 04:14 PM

There is a great deal of difference between sticking 2 random lights on a t bar and lighting a room with leds.

It is a lot more time consuming than you think.

Corabar Steve
22-12-2008, 04:33 PM
There is a great deal of difference between sticking 2 random lights on a t bar and lighting a room with leds.

It is a lot more time consuming than you think.
Indeed.

It wasn't about how much you charged for them, it was about your marketing ploy of stating it's 50% more lights. Which is an old topic & off topic for this thread, so I would appreciate no more being said on the subject.

Shakermaker Promotions
22-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Rob, if you decide to go the uplighting route then I am sure you'll see that it is an extra service and totally different to a little extra lighting on the disco rig. It is seperate and should be charged accordingly in my opinion.

Bouncy Dancefloor
22-12-2008, 06:29 PM
so it seems everyones charging more than i realised for this service, thanks alot guys, just got to find the clients now!

rob1963
22-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Rob, if you decide to go the uplighting route then I am sure you'll see that it is an extra service and totally different to a little extra lighting on the disco rig. It is seperate and should be charged accordingly in my opinion.

I understand that, Gary, but it's not something I'll be looking into, as I prefer to put all my time, effort & energy into the actual disco.

To each their own, as they say.

:)

wensleydale
22-12-2008, 09:21 PM
I understand that, Gary, but it's not something I'll be looking into, as I prefer to put all my time, effort & energy into the actual disco.

To each their own, as they say.

:)

you generally do the uplighting before the actual gig and leave it to its own devices.

the other way of looking at it rob is adding an extra string to your bow- people obviously want this service and you can save them going elsewhere....

rob1963
22-12-2008, 09:40 PM
people obviously want this service and you can save them going elsewhere....

If I get any enquiries, I'll just send them to this guy I know who lives near the river in Kingston ;)

Pe7e
23-12-2008, 12:07 AM
so it seems everyones charging more than i realised for this service, thanks alot guys, just got to find the clients now!

If you decide to go into the venue lighting business you will need to equip yourself with more than 4 x par 56 LED's and a CA8. Speaking from experience, par 56 LEDs are nowhere near powerful enough to do the job properly (unless they are using 1w LEDs). Also, as a rule of thumb, you'll need 1 lamp for every 3 metres of wall run, a med - large room can easily need 20 + lamps, You will also need a small dmx desk or dedicated controller to use the lamps to their full potential. Be sure to buy lamps that support full RGB colour mixing and dimming, some don't. Finally £20 - £25 per lamp seems to be the current going rate for the job, I've found it better to quote for venue lighting completely separate from the provision of a disco.

Shakermaker Promotions
23-12-2008, 12:19 AM
I might also add that I am restricting offering the service to the size of the venue. The LEDJ's I have are very bright and have a wide spread of light but I only have 8 of them at the moment and to be honest that may be all I have until I see if the service gets popular. I think they will do the job well personally.

wensleydale
23-12-2008, 06:50 AM
If I get any enquiries, I'll just send them to this guy I know who lives near the river in Kingston ;)

probably best for all concerned.
in the same way i refer all quiz night enquiries to a nice chap in worcester park.

Vectis
23-12-2008, 08:24 AM
If you decide to go into the venue lighting business you will need to equip yourself with more than 4 x par 56 LED's and a CA8.

:agree:

Speaking from experience, par 56 LEDs are nowhere near powerful enough to do the job properly (unless they are using 1w LEDs).

Hmmm... I use the LEDJ PAR56's and they're perfectly bright enough for most venues even with some direct sunlight.

However I've seen some of the (not much) cheaper cans such as the Thomann ones and they are rubbish next to the LEDJ's.

Also, as a rule of thumb, you'll need 1 lamp for every 3 metres of wall run

Depends on the effect you're looking for and the beam angle of your cans, but 3-5 metres is a good rule of thumb.

CRAZY K
23-12-2008, 08:51 AM
If you decide to go into the venue lighting business you will need to equip yourself with more than 4 x par 56 LED's and a CA8. Speaking from experience, par 56 LEDs are nowhere near powerful enough to do the job properly (unless they are using 1w LEDs). Also, as a rule of thumb, you'll need 1 lamp for every 3 metres of wall run, a med - large room can easily need 20 + lamps, You will also need a small dmx desk or dedicated controller to use the lamps to their full potential. Be sure to buy lamps that support full RGB colour mixing and dimming, some don't. Finally £20 - £25 per lamp seems to be the current going rate for the job, I've found it better to quote for venue lighting completely separate from the provision of a disco.

Just a point here on Insurance guys.

If you supply these uplighters as part of your overall Disco with Lighting effects package then quite likely you will be insured should there be an accident as they form part of the "show"

If you supply and fit them separately or hire them out on their own to customers (and this will apply also to hiring lighting to bands as well) you may need completely separate PLI insurance cover or at least an extension of your existing cover.

You need to check this with your PLI insurer.

If you send along A.N.OTHER to do it on your behalf check that as well.

It probably seems an easy way to generate some more cashflow but wont be much use if you have a £100,000 claim against you and no insurance.:eek:

Im looking at starting an ancillary business to my own and have a similar issue.

CRAZY K

Pe7e
23-12-2008, 09:10 AM
I think you've misunderstood what I meant, I don't charge or invoice as a different business, just keep the LED lighting quote separate from the disco quote. In my experience clients seem happy to try to negotiate a disco quote downwards, but accept a £20 - £25 a lamp quote without haggling since almost everyone else is charging the same price, unlike discos where the fee seems to start at £60 with some jokers

Bouncy Dancefloor
23-12-2008, 09:53 AM
oh if you guys go for the Public liability insurance provided by DJ Associates, then you will be covered for 10million for equipment you have setup for hire!