PDA

View Full Version : Prices Page

OllieJames
30-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Hey,

I've seen on many DJ sites that they do not put their prices and have an enquiry form, with no 'starting prices', however on a couple of sites they have their starting prices, then a form so they get a direct quote.

I currently don't even have a form, just some text telling them what to do. Due to me having issues with my email account it wouldn't let me email anyone unless i hit reply on a message they sent me, however i think this is now sorted, so i'll sort out a form.

Should i put my starting prices on my site, or do you think it looks un-professional/tacky?

Thanks for your help & guidance,

Ollie

Jay Drabble
30-12-2008, 01:39 PM
All Punters have a set Budget so if the starting price is minimum which you are prepared to go out and work for Keep a minimum on your site.
If you are flexable in january & febuary Keep the prices off your site'
I Usually ask the punters what sort of Budget do they have And then give them a few options to what sort of show Disco/Karaoke/Bubbles Etc they would like' We are also Getting a machine for the Credit card this year as well Although i will pass the charges onto the punters

Bouncy Dancefloor
30-12-2008, 01:55 PM
some do, however i dont work in a price sensitive market, i sell the show to the customer, then tell them the price

otherwise they will look for the cheapest disco and see if they are happy with him.

Imagine peoples reactions if your minimum charge is For Example £120, yet a Weddings at a posh local hotel and you say £200, they want the £120! Likewise for New years eve, you say £450 and they are expecting £120 (maybe a little bit more)

OllieJames
30-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

I thought the general feeling would be to keep prices off sites. I'll wait for some more feedback before coming to a conclusion!

discomobiledj
30-12-2008, 02:44 PM
I have prices on my site, most people will look at the price, then call, confirm the price and book.

But it does depend on whether your in a price conscience area.

OllieJames
30-12-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm not looking to charge alot, mainly because i don't have the experience that alot of other DJs have.

I'm thinking around the £120 mark... probabaly more, depending on the duration, location & the event itself. I'm not going to do weddings.

I'm just unsure whether to put my starting price (3 hour disco in Northamptonshire, and the rig is customized to suit the event & venue). I will then add on the quote for more time, and will charge extra if the event isn't in Northamptonshire, but isn't that far away. Sound okay?

I'm not going to do all this 'different' setup lark... i'll research the venue before hand and take the appropriate gear instead of offering different size setups. Obviously, i won't take a 3m goalpost with all my lighting if it's a 60th and they just want background music. :D

discomobiledj
30-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Remember they are paying for YOU not your equipment.

If you want to charge £120 for three hours then say that and make it X miles from XXXXXX whether that be your postcode or town.

Alternatively get a dj stand with 4 or 6 ft bar to hang your lighting, so much better than a goal post.

OllieJames
30-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Remember they are paying for YOU not your equipment.

If you want to charge £120 for three hours then say that and make it X miles from XXXXXX whether that be your postcode or town.

Alternatively get a dj stand with 4 or 6 ft bar to hang your lighting, so much better than a goal post.

Like i said in the post above...

I won't be charging for extra equipment, just extra time. I'll only use the 3m for big venues/events and i'll be buying an overhead bar for my ultimax in the new year.

So do you think i'd be alright if i put:

Prices start at £### - This includes a 3 hour disco, within ### miles of ###. There will be an additional cost for a greater travelling distance and additional playing time. For a quote, please email us on ##### or call us on ####.

discomobiledj
30-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Have a gander at mine here (http://www.disco-stars.com/prices.htm)

OllieJames
30-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Have a gander at mine here (http://www.disco-stars.com/prices.htm)

Ahh, wicked :)

Is it okay if i use a similar structure to yours?

CRAZY K
30-12-2008, 04:55 PM
All Punters have a set Budget so if the starting price is minimum which you are prepared to go out and work for Keep a minimum on your site.
If you are flexable in january & febuary Keep the prices off your site'
I Usually ask the punters what sort of Budget do they have And then give them a few options to what sort of show Disco/Karaoke/Bubbles Etc they would like' We are also Getting a machine for the Credit card this year as well Although i will pass the charges onto the punters

Must admit I thought asking a budget was a sensible idea--more recently im not sure after getting a lot of stupid replies which dont help or a question mark--very very few actually KNOW what budget they have UNTIL you give a price thats too expensive:eek:

Of course there is the advantage that if they put under £100 you can delete the email AND GET ON WITH SOMETHING REALLY USEFUL INSTEAD:D :D :D

Unless in Yorkshire of course where things are different im reliably informed;)

I have also removed my quote form from my personal site where prices are higher than average which forces people to ring or email if they can be bothered--- that cuts out the rate tarts, time wasters and general muppets and leaves a few genuine customers who we can help.:)

I make these comments from actual experience.

CRAZY K

OllieJames
30-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Must admit I thought asking a budget was a sensible idea--more recently im not sure after getting a lot of stupid replies which dont help or a question mark--very very few actually KNOW what budget they have UNTIL you give a price thats too expensive:eek:

Of course there is the advantage that if they put under £100 you can delete the email AND GET ON WITH SOMETHING REALLY USEFUL INSTEAD:D :D :D

I have also removed my quote form from my personal site where prices are higher than average which forces people to ring or email if they can be bothered--- that cuts out the rate tarts, time wasters and general muppets and leaves a few genuine customers who we can help.:)

CRAZY K

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your input! I'm still unsure as to whether to put my prices on my site. I'll predominately be doing kids birthdays, teen birthdays and school discos, with the odd 40th/50th here and there, so i won't be doing big up-market weddings etc... So i'm considering putting the prices on my site... Only guide prices though.

discomobiledj
30-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Ahh, wicked :)

Is it okay if i use a similar structure to yours?

Go for it, no problem with me.

OllieJames
30-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Go for it, no problem with me.

CRAZY K
30-12-2008, 06:22 PM

CRAZY K

New enquiry just now--whats your budget --as little as possible:eek:

This is a Wedding--nothing important or special then ?

Muppets:bang: :bang: :bang:

CRAZY K

OllieJames
30-12-2008, 06:29 PM

CRAZY K

:lol:

hahaha!

discomobiledj
30-12-2008, 06:35 PM

CRAZY K

£100 then!

Vectis
30-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Over the years I've tried with and without prices.

I publish details of 3 basic packages plus a kids package (so 4 in total) with "From" pricing then a full quote generator for all of the most common optional extras.

Well over 95% of the calls and emails I get for available dates convert.

When I didn't publish pricing, this was a sizeable chunk lower, at something like 75-80%.

So, no prices = more tyrekickers. On the possible downside, by publishing prices you might put off some folks for whom you're just slightly over budget, who you might be able to persuade with a little sales polish. For me, bookings are running at a reasonable level compared with previous years so I'm not worried about persuading those sitting on the fence. If you're close to their budget already there's little chance of upselling.

wensleydale
30-12-2008, 07:48 PM

CRAZY K

I think thats a fair comment- especially if they dont know how much your services cost.

If someone asks me what my budget is I never actually tell them- it shouldnt influence your charges so you should be able to tell them your costs without knowing the busget, unless you are adding bespoke elements.

nigelwright7557
30-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Prices can vary so much.
If its local and easy to get in then my min is £100.
If i have to travel or its a difficult lift in then the price goes up.

I would never put a price on the website but I would put "very reasonable price".

rob1963
30-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Hey,

I've seen on many DJ sites that they do not put their prices and have an enquiry form, with no 'starting prices', however on a couple of sites they have their starting prices, then a form so they get a direct quote.

I currently don't even have a form, just some text telling them what to do. Due to me having issues with my email account it wouldn't let me email anyone unless i hit reply on a message they sent me, however i think this is now sorted, so i'll sort out a form.

Should i put my starting prices on my site, or do you think it looks un-professional/tacky?

Thanks for your help & guidance,

Ollie

Hi Ollie,

I think you should DEFINATELY put prices on your website (assuming you have set prices) or an average price if you quote differently for each gig.

By having prices on your site, you won't scare people off due to them thinking you're trying to hide your prices as they're very high, you won't have to waste your time dealing with people who want a disco for £50...as they won't contact you if they can plainly see you charge much more than that, and you won't have to worry about answering queries from people who then have a problem when you tell them the price, because they will already know your price, so they're clearly happy to pay that amount.

Before deciding whether to book a service, it's essential to know the details of the service AND the price. If people can't find that information on your website, they MIGHT contact you to find out...but they MIGHT just look for another site which DOES give that information.

Hell will freeze over before I understand why people don't put anything about pricing on their site. They will often say "I can't put prices on my site because I don't have set prices" which I think is complete toilet. Even if they DO charge a different amount for every gig, there's no logical reason why they can't at least put an average price or "from" price on their website. That way, at least potential customers will have a rough idea.

I'm not at all surprised that Vectis has a better take-up rate with prices on his website than when he did NOT have prices on there.

If booking a service, I would be very unlikely to contact a company that didn't even give the vaguest clue about their charges on their website...and I'm clearly not the ONLY one.

rob1963
30-12-2008, 11:53 PM
If someone asks me what my budget is I never actually tell them - it shouldnt influence your charges so you should be able to tell them your costs without knowing the budget, unless you are adding bespoke elements.

I completely agree, Rich.

In the case of a wedding, their average total budget will be about £20 grand, so whether they spend £200 or £400 on the disco makes very little difference anyway.

If they spend £200 it's 1% of their total budget and if they spend £400 it's 2%. Both percentages are ridiculously low for the night's entertainment...bearing in mind it can make or break the reception.

OllieJames
31-12-2008, 07:56 AM
Thanks for your feedback. I'm not had prices on my site since it opened, so i'm considering trying it with my 'prices from' idea and seeing what happens.

Like i said, i'll have a 'base price' of so much, then add money on for extra distance and extra playing time. Which, won't really vary that much, as i'll only gig in Northamptonshire and around Milton Keynes.

Grahame Case
31-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Ollie, try it and see, that is all I can suggest,

what works for one person may not work for someone else. it really depends on your region and target audience.