PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated DJ Mixer Vs PA Mixer

Dynamic Entertainment
04-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Just a quick question that Andys (Deltic) gallery thread got me thinking about. Do you guys use a dedicated DJ mixer (i.e Citronic CDM10:4, Pioneer DJM3000, etc) or a more general PA mixer? Just got me wondering, as I've used a general PA mixer with a dedicated DJ mixer into one channel, purely so the DJ dont get the MC through their monitor speakers. Whats your opinions/reasons for choosing what you do?

Cheers

Steve

A1DL
04-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi Steve

The main reasons for running a separate DJ mixer into the FOH mixer are:
(a) the DJ is on stage with the band, the FOH mixer is at FOH and connected to the PA
(b) to give the FOH Tech control of the signal from the DJ mixer, as indeed he/she has for every other channel/playback source. I always put a hard knee limiter on the DJ mixer feeds.

To your other point, there are some DJ mixers that have separate busses for mics and music (Cloud CXM being my personal favourite) and a couple of the Denon DJ mixers have selectable mics into booth, to keep the DJ mic out of the mons.

Tony

Dynamic Entertainment
04-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Hi Tony.

I understand all of that and agree, i was thinking more specifically just for running a disco. Ive seen DJs use a FOH mixer just for discos with the mic into one channel and each cd player into another and was wondering how many run a set up like that.

PS - I also think the CMX is quality but prefer the DJM1000... :) If you ever decide to get shot of a CXM mind, give me a shout :D

Tom
04-01-2009, 04:36 PM
I used to use a pa mixer but now use a a dedicated dj mixer as they are a lot smaller and has more than enough channels. But this depends on how any channels you need. :)

Penfold42
04-01-2009, 04:51 PM
DJ mixer - never used anything else. :)

Daryll
04-01-2009, 05:13 PM
I use a Yamaha MG166c.
Reasons are as follows.

I like it :D

Channel assignments :

1- Radio mike
2- Radio mike
3-External sound card Left in
4-External sound card Right in
5- cue Left
6- cue right
7/8- CDN22 deck 1
9/10- CDN22 deck 2
11/12 Aux inputs ( ipod etc)
13/14/15/16 wired to backup laptop just in case ;) (Left/Right and Cue).

Daryll

spin mobile disco
04-01-2009, 05:36 PM
I use a Dj mixer . But I know of at least 2 other DJ's who use front of house mixers for DJ'ng.
I prefer all my gear to be 19" rackmount and as small a profile as I can get away with. Without losing any of the important things I need in a setup.

OllieJames
04-01-2009, 06:12 PM
I use a DJ mixer, rackmounted in my CD player case.

However i run that into a Mackie DFX12, with a mic in another channel, and backup in another.

Looking to buy the DFX 6 aswell, so i'm not carrying around a 12 channel desk when i only use around 4-6 channels!

Dynamic Entertainment
04-01-2009, 06:20 PM
No room for the kitchen sink then Daryll :D Seems to be pros and cons for both depending on how many channels you need.

Jiggles
04-01-2009, 06:20 PM
I have a PA mixer and it has got me out of a few sticky situations! Saved a festival a fortune in hiring one on dry hire. So they gave me a bit more cash seeing that i was doing the Disco anyway :D

djsteve10
04-01-2009, 06:35 PM
I have PA mixers but I currently use a Allen & Heath Zone 92 mixer what I have just recieved from a friend to trial for a few weeks and see how I get on with it. I don't see the point in running a PA mixer and dj mixer for most mobile disco situations but if using a big pa then a pa mixer will be used for better eq more channels ect.

deltic
04-01-2009, 06:43 PM
i have always used a dj mixer in the past and just put up with the noisey output stages.
however with the bose system i want the shortes cleanest output path so have gone for the behringer pa mixer (hence the big case)been thinking about a case like that for a while just had'nt got round to it.
plus now i have a lot more options and space available.

guess i wont be needing the bullworker anymore

Daryll
04-01-2009, 06:44 PM
No room for the kitchen sink then Daryll :D Seems to be pros and cons for both depending on how many channels you need.

:lol: May not have the room for a sink.

But the mixer is 19" rack mount , I put up a post about this mixer http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14299

Daryll

deltic
04-01-2009, 06:47 PM
:lol: May not have the room for a sink.

But the mixer is 19" rack mount , I put up a post about this mixer http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14299

Daryll

makes mine look a bit small

Jiggles
04-01-2009, 06:51 PM
This is what i posses. :D http://tinyurl.com/7lpk6y

Grahame Case
04-01-2009, 06:57 PM
i'm currently using a DENON X500 MIXER - was wanting an Allen and heath but wouldn't fit into my rack neatly

Excalibur
04-01-2009, 07:44 PM
This is what i posses. :D http://tinyurl.com/7lpk6y
Ah yes. The old " Mine's bigger than yours " ploy. :D

i'm currently using a DENON X500 MIXER - was wanting an Allen and heath but wouldn't fit into my rack neatly

Neither would my KAM, but IMHO, it's the best compromise I've seen.

nigelwright7557
04-01-2009, 07:46 PM
I use a Peavey 6 channel mixer, a valve 4 channel mixer and I have a passive mixer for backup. None are DJ mixers.

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-01-2009, 07:55 PM
None are DJ mixers.

Which is suitable for you then...:sj:

Daryll
04-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Ah yes. The old " Mine's bigger than yours " ploy. :D

I may upgrade from windows media player to winamp....:whistle:
http://www.calrec.com/images/inst/s2nepss7.jpg

nigelwright7557
04-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Which is suitable for you then...:sj:

Thats true, I am a musician so they are good for my guitar too !

I bet no one has a mixer smaller than my passive mixer.
Its 2 inches by 3 inches.

One Vision
04-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Thats true, I am a musician so they are good for my guitar too !

I bet no one has a mixer smaller than my passive mixer.
Its 2 inches by 3 inches.

Did you build it using a swan vesta box :p

nigelwright7557
04-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Did you build it using a swan vesta box :p

One of Maplins best project boxes.

Tony Scott
04-01-2009, 09:26 PM
I have a PA mixer and would use this out of choice.

The main reason I own a DJ mixer is because most of my hire outs are for dance events where I have to supply Technics1200's so having the Phono inputs is handy. Also most dance DJ's request fancy rotary kills, poncey assignable x-faders with variable-slopes and arty farty split cues........stuff like that! :D

nigelwright7557
04-01-2009, 09:34 PM
I have a PA mixer and would use this out of choice.

Most dance DJ's want fancy rotary kills, poncey assignable x-faders with variable-slopes and arty farty split cues........stuff like that! :D

I just use standard mixers too.
I dont even use a fade out/in, I just start the next track as the previous one is finishing. A bit of practice and that works fine for me.

I used to use a crossfade when I was all vinyl.

rob1963
04-01-2009, 10:40 PM
DJ mixer - never used anything else. :)

Same here.

04-01-2009, 10:53 PM
I use a phonix MU1822X desk, which i think is a 16 channel desk.

I can use it for karaoke when required, and sometimes if i'm working with a cabaret act or tribute i'll mix their sound for them.

I do have a citronic DJ mixer that is my backup mixer, but i tend to use the big one at most gigs.

sleah
04-01-2009, 11:07 PM
however with the bose system i want the shortes cleanest output path so have gone for the behringer pa mixer

Sorry ..... but :Laugh:

You have a Bose system, one of the best sound systems around, and you want the cleanest sound so feeding it with a Behringer mixer!!!! - one of the cheapest budget makes on the market:eek::eek::eek:

You should post in the BlueRoom forum, they won't be nearly as polite.......:p

To be fair, Behringer (or BellRinger as they are nicknamed) aren't bad ......... for what you pay for them. Certainly better than the likes of the old Realistic mixers from Tandy, actually better than early Numark/Vestax excuses for mixers, mind you that's not comparing like-for-like.
But if I had spent that much on a speaker system, I'd be looking better than Behringer....
I've limited experience of Behringer mixers, and like I said, good for the money, but not quite up to Tascam, Soundcraft, Yamaha etc, despite Mr Behringer liking to think they are.

One Vision
04-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Although I have the Numark cm100 mixer for cross fading for the cd players etc. I use a Studiomaster Club 2000 Mixer for the master volume and for the mic.
If anybody has the Studiomaster Club 2000 DSP effects Mixer knocking about that's not being used Ill buy it off you, I love em :D

nigelwright7557
04-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Although I have the Numark cm100 mixer for cross fading for the cd players etc. I use a Studiomaster Club 2000 Mixer for the master volume and for the mic.
If anybody has the Studiomaster Club 2000 DSP effects Mixer knocking about that's not being used Ill buy it off you, I love em :D

DSP effects are good.

I use a guitar effects pedal on my disco.
It cost £150 but it has some amazing sounds.
Not just echo, but pitch bending and it plays tunes with your voice.

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-01-2009, 10:20 AM
You have a Bose system, one of the best sound systems around, and you want the cleanest sound so feeding it with a Behringer mixer!!!! - one of the cheapest budget makes on the market:eek::eek::eek:

I thought that too.

Grahame Case
05-01-2009, 10:44 AM
throw the behringer in the bin -

buy yourself an ALLEN & HEATH XONE or even a DENON

Dynamic Entertainment
05-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Cheers for the replies. I think for the time being ill stick with a dedicated dj mixer for the most part and only pull out the FOH as and when required. :)

Jiggles
05-01-2009, 06:15 PM
At least my behringer is better than my old Citronic 10:4 :D

ultrasound disco
06-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Denon DNX 400 for me, bought one cheap with a bad fader and replaced all the faders with factory damped ones....smooth and very, very quiet.

Dynamic Entertainment
06-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Ive never used the DN-X400 but have used the 900 in a club. I was impressed with the varied assignability to the channels but that was it. It fell to bits fairly sharpish (i know club mixers get hammered) but the que buttons went and the faders wore down very quickly.