PDA

View Full Version : Popping

Reminisce disco
06-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Hello all

When I did my last gig I had a problem with my sound which I never pin pointed all night. I was all set up at the start of the evening and sound checked with no worries. Guests arrived and I was playing "background" music for two hours during which I noticed a popping sound coming from somewhere in my system? To describe it best , it sounded like the sound of a cracker being pulled and was fairly loud.
I went round every cable possible and checked for loose wires etc but to no avail, it carried on intermittently. Sometimes it didnt do it for five minutes then I'd get 2 or 3 in quick succession.
When the party got going I turned the volume up and could still faintly hear it but luckily it didnt get louder as I increased the volume. I kept my fingers crossed all night that my system wouldn't fail on me and it didnt , but I dont want a repeat of the stress I endured worrying about it all night.
If its of any use the equipment used was:
JBL EON 15G2'S X2
DB TECH 800W SUB X1
STANTON RM402 MIXER
STANTON C-500 CD DECKS
NUMARK DXM01 USB MIXER
LAPTOP.
Hopefully someone can shed some light on what was wrong!!

Cheers, Andy.

sleah
06-01-2009, 03:33 PM
I noticed a popping sound coming from somewhere in my system? To describe it best , it sounded like the sound of a cracker being pulled and was fairly loud

snip

LAPTOP.

Ground loop/earthing problem? It's more likely than not that a lappy will cause a horrible noise due to ground loops.
try a GLI (ground loop isolator) between the lappy and mixer, or if you use the direct USB, try between mixer and amp or flick the earth lift on the amp if fitted.

OR

Try setting the rig up one piece at a time, amp alone, then mixer, then cd's, then lappy until you get the sound. Then try to isolate the culprit with a GLI.

If not then :confused:

spin mobile disco
06-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Sounds like something on the same circuit causing it. I had a fridge on the same circuit once and had a very similar noise when its compressor turned on. It doesnt have to be in same room to be on same circuit. Or maybe it was something like a fan heater in this weather as it seemed quite regular.

Excalibur
06-01-2009, 05:11 PM
It can be something unconnected to your gear, like an air conditioning unit or heater switched by a thermostat. Certain venues I work in generate unique noises. ;)

djdarren
06-01-2009, 06:16 PM
as others have said its more than likely something in the venue.

i remember a few years ago being at a very small bar every time they started a particular pump and it clicked out i got a pop through the system

CRAZY K
06-01-2009, 06:19 PM
:thumbs_up:
It can be something unconnected to your gear, like an air conditioning unit or heater switched by a thermostat. Certain venues I work in generate unique noises. ;)

I would agree with Spin and Peter here.

I worked a venue 12months ago and got a similar problem.

The cheeky git who was supposed to be the caretaker said ( lying through his filthy teeth) it must be your equipment, no one else has had that problem.

For those who dont know--thats usually a good indication that you are right and they are wrong.:D

Yep, you guessed, never had that noise on my equipment since.

CRAZY K

Excalibur
06-01-2009, 07:04 PM
:thumbs_up:

I would agree with Spin and Peter here.

I worked a venue 12months ago and got a similar problem.

The cheeky git who was supposed to be the caretaker said ( lying through his filthy teeth) it must be your equipment, no one else has had that problem.

For those who dont know--thats usually a good indication that you are right and they are wrong.:D

Yep, you guessed, never had that noise on my equipment since.

CRAZY K
And Young Darren also. ;) :D
For our younger readers, beware electric beer pumps! :eek: Fortunately, it's usually gas or Barmaid power nowadays, but electricity? Aaaaaaaaargh. :(

nigelwright7557
06-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Hello all
Hopefully someone can shed some light on what was wrong!!

Cheers, Andy.

Ive got a torch if you want to lend it ?

Could be mains borne clicks from light switches or pumps for the beer ?

I use a mains extension with a filter in it for all my audio.

ppentertainments
06-01-2009, 08:31 PM
And Young Darren also. ;) :D
For our younger readers, beware electric beer pumps! :eek: Fortunately, it's usually gas or Barmaid power nowadays, but electricity? Aaaaaaaaargh. :(

It's not so much the pumps but if they use 'flash coolers', which cut in and out when the beer pump is used.

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Ive got a torch if you want to lend it ?

Borrow it you mean?

Reminisce disco
06-01-2009, 08:41 PM
I was on a stage at a secondary school which is very performing arts based, i.e lots of pre installed lighting as well as electric opening curtains and video screen. Basically I was surrounded by a lot of other electrics , many of which were operating that night.
You reckon that could be my problem??

Andy

Excalibur
06-01-2009, 10:59 PM
It's not so much the pumps but if they use 'flash coolers', which cut in and out when the beer pump is used.

Agreed, but you're 32. I remember the old fully electric pumps, the ones which delivered a "measured" volume at one flick of a momentary switch, which could introduce a lovely motor whine into your kit, every time they served a pint. :D

Borrow it you mean?
I see Propeller's teachings are beginning to bear fruit. Well done Darren. :D

I was on a stage at a secondary school which is very performing arts based, i.e lots of pre installed lighting as well as electric opening curtains and video screen. Basically I was surrounded by a lot of other electrics , many of which were operating that night.
You reckon that could be my problem??

Andy
Yes, but don't ask me which one, other than to suggest something which came in with a sudden and high current draw. ;)

rob1963
06-01-2009, 11:02 PM
My friend has had exactly the same problem at some of his quiz nights.

In each case, he eventually traced the source so a piece of equipment used by the pub or hotel turning on or off.

Excalibur
06-01-2009, 11:13 PM
My friend has had exactly the same problem at some of his quiz nights.

In each case, he eventually traced the source so a piece of equipment used by the pub or hotel turning on or off.

Strike me pink, there's an echo in here. :D
Actually it's just reminded me that in one venue, my VHF radio mic used to pick up something switching. Only in that one venue though.

rob1963
06-01-2009, 11:23 PM
The only popping I know about is the body kind...but that was in my younger days!

Excalibur
06-01-2009, 11:28 PM
The only popping I know about is the body kind...but that was in my younger days!
Oh Rob! I didn't need that thought planting thanks very much. :( :( :(

rob1963
06-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Oh Rob! I didn't need that thought planting thanks very much. :( :( :(

:rofl:

Bouncy Dancefloor
07-01-2009, 07:50 AM
as everyone said, its usually something else interfering

however alot of smoke machines do this as well if plugged onto the same ringmain, not just when pumping out smoke, but also when reheating

Reminisce disco
07-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks guys, I have just been booked for another disco there in March.
I'm not sure where to start in finding the route cause of it but will just keep everything crossed! :)

Excalibur
07-01-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm not sure where to start in finding the route cause of it but will just keep everything crossed! :)

I really have no idea if this would help, but try running your playout gear from one of those surge protected extension cables. Worth a try.

ppentertainments
07-01-2009, 11:17 AM
I take it you are running of MP3's. If these were ripped from cd, check the quality. When I first ripped mine, for some reason I had what I describe as 'clinking glasses' sound coming from a few tracks. I used a different program to rip them and all was fine.

Reminisce disco
07-01-2009, 11:53 AM
I use both cd and mp3, the noise happened on both formats.

I will try a surge protected extension Excalibur as someone else advised that to me as well, thanks again! :)

CRAZY K
07-01-2009, 01:10 PM
I really have no idea if this would help, but try running your playout gear from one of those surge protected extension cables. Worth a try.

Would that make any difference--circuit noise isnt like surging is it?

Perhaps an expert can tell us--not me:confused:

CRAZY K

CRAZY K
07-01-2009, 01:22 PM

Actually theres no point , ASSUMING your equipment is clean.

Whatever it is--they are not going to stop it for you---:D

Beer/ Lager chiller, lighting, boiler switch , cooling fan, lighting changes etc.

Just make sure YOUR set up is clean and clear of bugs.

Just be confident about it if you get any comments--after all you dont want a reputation of being the Disco with the "dodgy equipment" that makes noises, a good way of losing work.

CRAZY K

Excalibur
07-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Would that make any difference--circuit noise isnt like surging is it?

Perhaps an expert can tell us--not me:confused:

CRAZY K

Don't know, but it's worth punting a tenner on surely? I have my playout gear on one, and feel it may help.