PDA

View Full Version : web sites pic

funkymike
07-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Nothing to do with disco's but something I have been working on, so a eithical question if i may.

As its easy to copy and paste picture off the net, is it legal to do so and is it wrong if they are not watermarked.

i have been trying to build a website for a idea I have (nothing to do with discos) and have been looking at similer web sites, its clear that its done

just curious

cheers

mike

Shaun
07-01-2009, 08:14 PM
As its easy to copy and paste picture off the net, is it legal to do so and is it wrong if they are not watermarked.

It's easy to do. However, it's not legal as the pictures remain the property of the photographer whether they are watermarked or not. All the watermark does is make it harder for people to use.

funkymike
07-01-2009, 08:18 PM
It's easy to do. However, it's not legal as the pictures remain the property of the photographer whether they are watermarked or not. All the watermark does is make it harder for people to use.

I understand that, but if they are on sites around the world and they are copies of copies, how would they know, has anyone been taken to task over it

mike

nigelwright7557
07-01-2009, 08:24 PM
I understand that, but if they are on sites around the world and they are copies of copies, how would they know, has anyone been taken to task over it

mike

Someone stole some pictures off my brothers tractor website and put one picture on the front of a DVD they were selling !
My brother got in touch to find out what he was playing at and got a nice pay off not to take it to court.

Shaun
07-01-2009, 08:51 PM

mike

The people who are using the photos may have paid for the right to do so from stock photo sites.

Have people ever being taken to task over it?, you betcha!. Getty Images have a whole team that scours the net and actively sues people for copyright infingment.

Many people on this forum (myself included) have had images stolen from the net. It's really frustrating.