PDA

View Full Version : Summer Residency for Language School

pagan_flame
18-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Well, after the earlier despondancy, I've had my first enquiry for 2009... work all summer long, midweek!

My wife did a temp stint last summer in one of Cambridge's language schools, and has retained contact with the office admin there - she got onto me today; they are tired of sending their students to the clubs in town (that do admit under 18's on certain nights), paying for them to get in and then having to sort out fights / drunkeness / underage sex etc etc --- so they want to do their own nights, twice a week, with me.

It would be Monday & Thursday, June to August, no alcohol served, supervising adults present, age group = 14 - 17 year olds.

I do now have Enhanced CRB (they did this for me as I am a Driving Instructor) - what do you think? I tend to avoid 18th's unless accompanied by someone else, due to the aforementioned drinking / fighting etc.

I'm guessing I'd be looking at current chart / R 'n B quite a lot, in terms of music... but it's outside my experience currently, any tips or advice to give?

Dynamic Entertainment
18-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Id go for it. You may be out of your comfort zone for the first few but then you would get the hang of it. Kids are great at telling you exactly what they want. Its a good start looking at the top 40 each week (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/ ) and getting at least the top 10, check Radio 1s playlist (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/playlist/ ) and try and get hold of whats on the A list (at least). For dancier stuff (atleast for kids) its worth checking www.aatw.com for their upcoming releases.

Like i say, kids will fill you with requests so its worth having a pen and paper handy, to keep track of the dedications and also make notes of what you havent got that they want. Youll find its pretty much the same stuff night after night.

Penfold42
18-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Well, after the earlier despondancy, I've had my first enquiry for 2009... work all summer long, midweek!

My wife did a temp stint last summer in one of Cambridge's language schools, and has retained contact with the office admin there - she got onto me today; they are tired of sending their students to the clubs in town (that do admit under 18's on certain nights), paying for them to get in and then having to sort out fights / drunkeness / underage sex etc etc --- so they want to do their own nights, twice a week, with me.

It would be Monday & Thursday, June to August, no alcohol served, supervising adults present, age group = 14 - 17 year olds.

I do now have Enhanced CRB (they did this for me as I am a Driving Instructor) - what do you think? I tend to avoid 18th's unless accompanied by someone else, due to the aforementioned drinking / fighting etc.

I'm guessing I'd be looking at current chart / R 'n B quite a lot, in terms of music... but it's outside my experience currently, any tips or advice to give?

Well done Malcolm......:)
Yep don't take any crap from the little darlin's.......:p :D

I do one a month and they can be a little funny from time to time....but generally they are superb gigs......dance for the full 2 hrs.
I usually play about 5-7 top ten tunes before mixing it about a bit. Then the requests come in and off you go.

Have a good season. :)

Excalibur
18-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Pagan, I'd definitely go for it. The customers will ask for about 75% more tracks than you can fit into the available time. :D
Steve, the Computer Savvy among us don't use pen and paper any more. That's what laptops are for. ;) :D :D ( Callum may by now have sprayed Coffee over his monitor. ;) :D :D )
Tony, bad news mate, it wasn't an enquiry about the Caravan. :( :( :(

Dynamic Entertainment
18-01-2009, 05:37 PM
I usually put pens and paper out at the edge of the stage. That way they dont have to pile onto the stage, and it saves me having to listen to 10 minutes of dedications. Collect the paper in and replace it every so often. Should have been more clearer. Sorry

Excalibur
18-01-2009, 05:58 PM
I usually put pens and paper out at the edge of the stage. That way they dont have to pile onto the stage, and it saves me having to listen to 10 minutes of dedications. Collect the paper in and replace it every so often. Should have been more clearer. Sorry

I was jesting a little, not unknown hereabouts. ;) :D Your idea is an excellent one. :thumbs_up:

funkymike
18-01-2009, 06:45 PM

I have done these the last 5 yrs in Oxford, and they are good fun, start early finish early, only the last few of the session can get a bit boring as only a few students left. You have to be very firm witht the kids though, in there country they are taught to be more pushy than english kids of what they want, music wise. I let them bring in there own cd's and mp3 players as the music they prefer is house music or r n b with a twist, bit of easten sound to it.

also you could try karaoke, they do like it and are a lot more responsive and they sing awful.

All in all its a good time and very easy once you get to know them and vice versa, but dont insult there intellagents (not like mine) as i said they are nothing like the englsih kids.

have fun

Mike

Ps try not to watch some of the older girls dance, because they know how to shake there booty:eek:

CRAZY K
18-01-2009, 07:08 PM

Heres some advice from the Horses Mouth, given with no liability attaching;)

My son is here for a few days on holiday from his job as a Language Teacher working in China presently.

He has experience of working in Summer Schools here in England.

He thinks if the students are from Europe you may have a problem with fighting, they dont need drink to do that, drugs do the trick.

Even if you dont get personally inolved there are spin offs for you to contend with--like fights spilling into your equipment, bottles flying etc.

If they are from Asia / Far East a better prospect apparently.

Hope its not that bad as that but I would make sure you get reimbursed for any damage :eek:

If you want any further advice ring here before Wednesday:D

CRAZY K

Bouncy Dancefloor
19-01-2009, 09:09 AM
ive worked at lots of foreign student parties, never had any trouble whatsoever

they will ask for requests alot, which is good
they also bring their own cd's, which is good
they also have ipods and mp3 players, so bring a cable to plug them in!

With your own music, play latest chart and older chart (big international hits) Bon Jovi, cha cha slide, u2, macarena etc

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-01-2009, 10:56 AM
ive worked at lots of foreign student parties, never had any trouble whatsoever

Same here.

I did 3 or 4 seasons at Reading Uni for Italian students and although they're a bit rude, there was certainly nothing more than that.

yourdj
19-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Did lots of these. check the nationalities and get track selections from them first as spanish/latin, russian etc. do have very different tastes. go in to the classes or ask the teachers to get two tracks per student with names which will impress them when read out over the mic.

look here for each country: http://top40-charts.com/chart.php?cid=25&compag=73

General r&b & pop works, but some countries tend to be quite far behind to our chart so they may not know some tracks.

Our classics are not thier classics - suavemente, la camisa negra etc. for latin/spanish.

They can also be very rude (especially italians) by demanding what they want.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-01-2009, 06:13 PM
They can also be very rude (especially italians) by demanding what they want.

Agreed.

DJMIKEYR
20-01-2009, 08:30 AM
I done the one in Southsea last year and the Kids was great we did discos on two nights and Karaoke on the other night. The staff are always on hand for any trouble that may/does happen. Its good cause its early finish as well.

However I done the one in Brighton as well with Italians and that was a nightmare.........never again at that one!!!! Plus it was upstairs as well!!

If you know the venue its at and a rough idea of the sort of kids then do it. The majority of gets are polite and enjoy the night!!

pagan_flame
20-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the advice (especially the euro chart links!) - I'll chase this one up and see how it works out. The students are a mixture from Europe and the East so should make for an interesting summer!

Keep 'yall posted!

yourdj
20-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Agreed.

Thats a first - I will print this and frame it :)

Doing an international tonight so swotting up on older posts if there is a track I have not got.
As it happens this one is useless. :D

Corabar Entertainment
20-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Thats a first - I will print this and frame it :)

Doing an international tonight so swotting up on older posts if there is a track I have not got.
As it happens this one is useless. :D...and it's only taken you a little over 3 years to reply!

:lol: :daft: :daft: :daft: :daft: :daft:

yourdj
20-04-2012, 12:14 PM
...and it's only taken you a little over 3 years to reply!

:lol: :daft: :daft: :daft: :daft: :daft:

Oh yes - that went quick :eek:

chrisj
20-04-2012, 05:56 PM
This reminds me of an interview at an International Farm Camp early this year. I knew the place well as I started disco in 1968 at the place.
At the interview I was asked if I could play music from many european charts for the workers, mostly foreigners, and I said that would be no problem. Mostly 2 gigs per week many on Saturdays from May until Christmas and I quoted £270 per gig.

I later recieved an email saying they had booked a far cheaper disco. It was nice to go into the function barn again after 43 years though and it really hasn't changed much.