PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Fees Woes

welby
19-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of help and guidance on this one.

I have a forthcoming wedding on the horizon which is booked from 7:30pm - 12:30am - that's no problem. I accepted the booking at £300 as a favour to another local DJ. We quite often pass on bookings to each other.

The bride-to-be has sent a request to see if I am available to set up before the wedding breakfast and to play background music. That's ok but i do have a round trip of 50 miles to take into consideration.

The question is: How much could I reasonable charge for the "extra service" of early setup and background music? Should it be hourly or a one-off charge, or even dare I say it "all in the price" Suggestions for fees?

I don't want to upset the bride, but I have already trimmed off £50 off the price to get the booking.

Thanks in advance

PropellerHeadCase
19-01-2009, 02:20 PM
40p per mile for extra trip there and back + reasonable hourly rate (what do you normally charge for additional hours?) and break it down like that for the bride when you present it to her... just double check that your contact didn't offer the additional service free in the original quote or discuss a price for such a service.

Steve the DJ
19-01-2009, 02:28 PM
The bride-to-be has sent a request to see if I am available to set up before the wedding breakfast and to play background music.

What time do you have to set up exactly?

The question is: How much could I reasonable charge for the "extra service" of early setup and background music? Should it be hourly or a one-off charge, or even dare I say it "all in the price" Suggestions for fees?

I'm a great believer in charging a flat rate, i.e. evening only is £x, early set up, background music & evening is £x and "all day" (ceremony, background, uplighting and evening) for £x.

Keeps things simple but I don't actually sell it as a "package" because I don't like "packages"... :bang:

Danno13
19-01-2009, 02:49 PM
The client has moved the goalposts, so you have every right to charge extra, and there's no reason she should be upset about it!

I'd charge £30 per additional hour I'd have to be on site, and also include the use of microphones for speeches.

welby
19-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Plenty to think about.

I have gone in with the mileage and £30 hourly rate. In this game you soon start to give things away as I love doing the job, but occaisionally you need to slap yourself in the face and remind yourself your trying to run a business and not a charity!

CRAZY K
19-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Plenty to think about.

but occaisionally you need to slap yourself in the face and remind yourself your trying to run a business and not a charity!

Thats what the rest of us in Northamptonshire are doing;)

CRAZY K