PDA

View Full Version : DMX - Smooth Operation?

SilverlineDiscos
19-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Hi guys,

I'm new on this forum so a hi to everyone :wave:

Question is, I have a couple of cheapy DMX scanners which I bought from Cybermarket Electrical Goods.

I have a DMX lighting desk which I also bought from Thomann.de. My question is, everytime I move the lights and save that 'step' and play them back, it will move to that position and back again. Ok, that's fine for most things, but what if I wanted the light to move in a certain direction. I.E Like moving heads do? Do I need more expensive units or can this be done via PC?

My controller also has a MIDI in, what is this used for and how can I use it?

Many thanks in advance,
Adam

Danno13
19-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Hi there, welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure I understand the question, if you've only programmed two steps then when you run the chase it's just going to go back and forward between them, hence why the light moves back to it's original position.

You should have a fade time setting on the controller which changes how quickly it moves from one step/scene to another, but how smooth the movement is will depend on the quality of the stepper motors on the light.

I'm not sure what you mean about the light moving in a certain direction, it will just move between the two positions you've programmed in, in whatever direction that may be.

spin mobile disco
19-01-2009, 03:12 PM
I think he may mean a diaganal direction i.e x pan and y pan at same time.
When I programed I made point i wanted each light to point at then a trail of points i wanted the light to pass through on the way. Then set the timer on how long it should take. (wanted to set it to audio control but never got tah tworking.
You can use a pc program but you will need a usb dmx converter or adapter and this means you will have to take a pc with you to each gig. (correct me if im wrong people)

SilverlineDiscos
19-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Hi guys,

I'm not sure of a better way to describe my question so perhaps a video is best to illistrate what I'm asking.

In this youtube video, the person has four scanners, which move up and down fluidly to the movements. If I tried to do that with my current dmx controller, then I'd have them move to one location, then the next, then another very blocky and not smoothly.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dydRIGW3D0w

Hope this makes sense, and I hope anyone can shed some 'light' on this for me :D

By the way, does anyone know what MIDI input is used for on DMX controllers? Mine has one and I thought it might be with use for a PC program??

Cheers,
Adam

Shaun
19-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Adam,

Please have a quick read of the topic in the link below. Thanks.

http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11711

Danno13
19-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Have you tried adjusting the fade time like I suggested? If your fade time is set to 0 then the mirror will move as quick as it can between scenes, however if you set it to say 10 seconds, it will take 10 seconds to make that movement, which should make it smoother. But as above, cheap scanners can rarely move that smooth (although though Mojos in the video seem to be an exception!)

A MIDI input on a DMX controller, is usually used to trigger chases using any MIDI device, which could be keyboard, or some of the new A&H mixers etc. I can't see it being something you'd want to use, as it's just as easy to press the buttons on the DMX controller.

SilverlineDiscos
19-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Have you tried adjusting the fade time like I suggested? If your fade time is set to 0 then the mirror will move as quick as it can between scenes, however if you set it to say 10 seconds, it will take 10 seconds to make that movement, which should make it smoother. But as above, cheap scanners can rarely move that smooth (although though Mojos in the video seem to be an exception!)

Ahh yes but you see, on my DMX controller, the fade time is just the time between the steps. So the mirrors will move at the same speed, and not a varied speed. So basically if I had 10 seconds between each step, the mirror will still move at the same speed. When the step time is set at say 1 second or less, the mirrors will run at the same speed, only the steps are executed quicker and sometimes the mirrors can't run quick enough for the speed, meaning the mirrors seem to slow down when the step time is REALLY quick!

Any ideas or have I got cheap scanners?

Danno13
19-01-2009, 06:46 PM
DMX controllers usually have both a step time (which is what you've described) and a fade time, which should do what you want.

Can you post a link to the controller?

SilverlineDiscos
19-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Here's the controller I have: http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_djx_16_dmx_controller.htm

Cowlinn
19-01-2009, 08:42 PM
A midi has 2 functions on a dmx controller can be setup to trigger chases ect. or it can be used for a remote Fog Machine trigger.

SilverlineDiscos
20-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Hi, how would it trigger chases then? Does this mean I can use a PC with the controller, or simply a way of starting a chase pattern?

DMX controllers usually have both a step time (which is what you've described) and a fade time, which should do what you want.

Can you post a link to the controller?

Just got back this morning, so I had a quick look at the controller sitting here on my desk, it does indeed have a Fade Time setup button, and a speed control knob. I assume these are different?

Sorry, new to DMX so I need a little nudge in the right direction :doh:

Just a quick update, thought I'd post the scanners I had.

I have two of these (http://www.skytronic.co.za/product/product.php?s=150.369) and got them at a VERY attractive price :D

I know they're entry level scanners but I REALLY wanted some 'clever' lights and found these for a bargin :)

SilverlineDiscos
20-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Hi guys,

I do hope this post warrents a post on it's own, instead of being combined with my previous post :D

Anyway, will someone PLEASE help me out here? It's driving me nuts!! There's a video on youtube of a rig setup with 4 scanners and I have to say it's the best setup I've seen.

Does anyone know if the scanners and controller I have (see previous posts for links) will accomplish something similar to the vid?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7cUbxKW6GlE&feature=related

I have a little play around with one of the scanners today, but I can't work out how to get the scanners to move slowly then fast.

Anyone, please..?

SilverlineDiscos
26-02-2009, 12:38 AM
Hi guys,

Sorry to drag up an old topic but I was just reading the posts I made and didn't mention that the Fade Time knob and the Step Time knob are infact on the same knob.

I have a 'shift' button to which I press to change between the two. Problem is, this way I can only activate one or the other.

Is that true, or do I need to do something else?

Sorry for waking a dying topic, but I'd like to sort this one out, even if it means me buying a more expensive controller like a DMX Master or even going PC DMX.

Cheers,
Adam

DJ James Lake
26-02-2009, 06:02 PM
You can use a pc program but you will need a usb dmx converter or adapter and this means you will have to take a pc with you to each gig. (correct me if im wrong people)

Not with Chavets ShowXpress that I just bought, if you go for the mid or top end package you can do all the programming at home and then run without a pc at a gig.