PDA

View Full Version : Should or shouldn't I?

Jay
21-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Iv'e been offered these speakers for £150...

http://www.getinthemix.co.uk/Kam-IMS-Pro12a-Powered-Speakers.htm

Do you think that is a good deal, and are they worth buying?

I haven't the greatest knowledge of speakers so any advice would be great.

Thanks alot.

Penfold42
21-01-2009, 08:53 PM
2nd hand?

If it's second hand....put a few more bob to it and get a pair of Class D's.....brand new with warranty........OMG did I just say the Class D thing.....:D

Excalibur
21-01-2009, 08:54 PM
2nd hand?

If it's second hand....put a few more bob to it and get a pair of Class D's.....brand new with warranty........OMG did I just say the Class D thing.....:D

They're active Tony. Not a Class-D option yet, Do try to keep up. ;)

Dynamic Entertainment
21-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Ive not heard them but my missus future step daddy has a par and he says that they are ok. Not the best, but not the worst. Like i say, dont take my word on it though.

Penfold42
21-01-2009, 08:57 PM
They're active Tony. Not a Class-D option yet, Do try to keep up. ;)

:o .....ooops!

*sits in the corner waiting for a get out of jail card*

DeckstarDeluxe
21-01-2009, 09:00 PM
you get what you pay for really. You'll never get a pair of great sounding speakers for £150 however you can do a hell of a lot worse. I'd have a listen to them first before making your mind up, personally im not a great lover of kam.

Jay
21-01-2009, 09:11 PM
well i'm basically after a pair of speakers that I can take to smaller venues, as my primary speakers, jrx 125's weigh a tonne and are often not needed for smaller venus.

DeckstarDeluxe
21-01-2009, 09:23 PM
well i'm basically after a pair of speakers that I can take to smaller venues, as my primary speakers, jrx 125's weigh a tonne and are often not needed for smaller venus.

I think for kids discos, quiz nights etc.. they should be more than capable just depends on condition?

nigelwright7557
21-01-2009, 09:25 PM
They should be very loud as they have a decent sensitivity.
Sounds like a bargain to me.

Interesting that the amp is 250WRMS and the speaker is 300WRMS.
Thats what I recommend, bigger speakers with a slightly smaller amp to save you frying the speakers.

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-01-2009, 10:49 PM
I have a little pair of KAM IMS 10" passive cabs and they are very nice sounding little speakers. I haven't heard the actives, but the passives are alright.

Jay
22-01-2009, 07:32 AM
I think i'll get them for if nothing else, backup. I was really after a pair of primary speakers to use on most discos but would rather buy new for this but at this price I think i'll have them anyways.

CRAZY K
22-01-2009, 07:58 AM
I think i'll get them for if nothing else, backup. I was really after a pair of primary speakers to use on most discos but would rather buy new for this but at this price I think i'll have them anyways.

From a business point of view ( spending cash ) if you buy reliable speakers ---theres enough of those around---you wont need to waste money on back up speakers.

If you have a problem and need replacement parts from people like Class D or Peavey you can usually get the bits posted to you directly next day delivery I understand from posts on here.

Dont know about KAM?

This assumes you are hands on with speaker repairs--if not the local Disco repair shop should lend you something to tide you over.

CRAZY K

Jay
22-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Well theres a spanner in the works lol.

I still think that for that little money, it would be daft not to get them, as backup is very important and if it saves me just once I'd be glad I had them. Im just not sure about using them for most gigs when I know nothing about the history of them etc . .

I think i'll get them for backup, and some new speakers for primary use. cheers for all your advice guys..