PDA

View Full Version : Class-D CD15SP speakers.

Excalibur
23-01-2009, 07:36 AM
http://www.classd.ltd.uk/product.php?productid=16144&cat=23&page=1
This is the pair of cabs which goes to most of my gigs. If anyone on a budget needed one pair of cabs to do everything, then I'd recommend these, with one proviso. The reason they have such a wonderful bass response, is that the cabinet is very big, and a bit of a handful to lift onto stands. I run mine with all tone controls flat, and rarely need to tweak them very much.
I have run them against name brand cabs, and while I'm not going to pretend they're better, I've always felt they held their own admirably, and at a fraction of the price sometimes. These are the upgrade to the 158/158-1 series, which many folk on here use, which I have little personal experience of.

Corabar Steve
23-01-2009, 08:46 AM
a bit of a handful to lift onto stands.

Do they have tophats should you wish to attempt it?

Excalibur
23-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Do they have tophats should you wish to attempt it?

Oh yuss. Top and bottom. :D I place mine on stands 95% of the time, but care is needed. Apparently it's 4kg heavier than a Mackie 450 MkI if that gives a comparison. It's not the weight that's so much of a problem, more the physical size. If you're trying to put them on stands ( which of course would be impossible) these,
http://www.classd.ltd.uk/product.php?productid=16139&cat=23&page=1
while 8kg heavier, are actually easier to move. :eek: Fantastic cab, but best on a raised stage. My favourite setup, though not strictly recommended for stability reasons, is to place a pair of the 15's on the 215's and run them in parallel. Thunderous bass, I usually pull virtually all of it off the mixer, max volume, and the compression drivers in the SP's sweeten the top end.

If anyone wanted tops over subs, I'd recommend these, for ease of handling.
http://www.classd.ltd.uk/product.php?productid=16143&cat=23&page=1

Totally Plucked
23-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Agree Pete, great speakers but something to bear in mind if anyone is considering purchasing Class D speakers, if they actually have any stock (after my own personal fiasco !)

Disco Leisure UK
24-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Excalibur....what do you think of the Class D CD15P?, we have started to use various Class D type speakers and have the opportunity of purchasing a pair of CD15P's at a fraction of the cost than advertised at class D, do you recommend these as well??

Excalibur
24-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Excalibur....what do you think of the Class D CD15P?, we have started to use various Class D type speakers and have the opportunity of purchasing a pair of CD15P's at a fraction of the cost than advertised at class D, do you recommend these as well??

Until a short time ago I was very wary of plastic cabs, as I'm a Luddite at heart. However, I recently heard the new CD12P cabs, and would heartily recommend them with one important proviso. (This would also apply to the
15's as well I'd expect, but perhaps less so. ) Gary at Class-D showed us a system which Justin bought. It had CD12P cabs as tops, running out of subs, and sounded superb. He did say however, that the plastic cabs don't give as good a bass response as the wooden ones, so I'd not want to use plastic cabs without subs. If you're using subs, no probs they're excellent. As I said before, if you're not using subs, the SP range is preferable. Hope this helps.

Edit: Make sure they are not the Jac range. I don't think they're as good.

JAMdisco
12-02-2009, 11:12 AM
I use the CD12P's almost all the time now (with CD15 subs) and they do sound excellent. I also purchased a pair of 158's and hardly ever use them - too bass heavy with the subs (and I do like my bass!)

The only time I really use the 158's is when I'm using the whole 6-piece rig for large halls at teenage gigs. The amp gets very hot though, so ideally need a crossover and a second amp.

If I were playing a very small venue I might take the 158's on their own but due to the fact that the footprint of the subs is marginally smaller that that of a tripod, I find I use the first example mostly.

par6
12-02-2009, 01:10 PM
I had a pair and sold them after 4 months, the sound is good but I found them not very loud :confused: found my amp was peaking a lot earlier than with my Wharfedale EVP-s15, also the bass is a warm round bass as opposed to a tight punchy bass which I like. The main reason for selling though was the sheer size :eek: they just took up too much space in the van, oh, and the weight.
I should have bought the 12's instead.

DiscoPromotions
12-02-2009, 01:46 PM
We are looking to buy this package from Class D

http://www.classd.ltd.uk/product.php?productid=16243&cat=3&page=2

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

501damian501
12-02-2009, 02:11 PM
how do you plan to run these 2ohm, 4 ohm or 8ohm ?

Totally Plucked
12-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Sorry to sound negative, but due to my recent experience with Class D, check they have stock before parting with your cash. I purchased some CD158-1's (which were supposedly in stock) and no speakers after 3 months. Reluctantly got a refund after 13 weeks.

Sorry for the negative slant, but people need to be aware, unless their situation have improved in the last month !!

Excalibur
12-02-2009, 03:07 PM
I had a pair and sold them after 4 months, the sound is good but I found them not very loud :confused: found my amp was peaking a lot earlier than with my Wharfedale EVP-s15, also the bass is a warm round bass as opposed to a tight punchy bass which I like. The main reason for selling though was the sheer size :eek: they just took up too much space in the van, oh, and the weight.
I should have bought the 12's instead.

Every time I write about these cabs, I mention just how HUGE they are. When I got mine, I saw a pair of 12's and thought they were 15's. :eek: :eek: :eek: I love mine, but if you're using subs, consider the 12's very carefully.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Thought 1: Check they're all in stock
Thought 2: Make sure they're all in stock.
Thought3: Did I remember to recommend checking they're all in stock? :confused:

Sorry to sound negative, but due to my recent experience with Class D, check they have stock before parting with your cash. I purchased some CD158-1's (which were supposedly in stock) and no speakers after 3 months. Reluctantly got a refund after 13 weeks.

Sorry for the negative slant, but people need to be aware, unless their situation have improved in the last month !!

Amen Brother. ;) ;) Last time I was there before Xmas, the warehouse looked like the Marie Celeste. :( :( Usually it's stacked to the roof with speakers. Maybe a ship's come in recetly, but I don't know. :confused:

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

OK. Excellent cabs, these are the ones with compression HF drivers. As said before, the 15s are HUGE. The rig as shown works beautifully. Personally, I'd get subs and 12's, an active crossover, and a second amp. I've got a cunning plan involving a rig like the one posted, and I just need a little more info from somewhere. ;)

DiscoPromotions
12-02-2009, 03:26 PM
how do you plan to run these 2ohm, 4 ohm or 8ohm ?

2 set of Tops running 4 ohms and bass bins running 8ohms.

Considering using VLP1000 and VLP2500 amps by American audio.

Every time I write about these cabs, I mention just how HUGE they are. When I got mine, I saw a pair of 12's and thought they were 15's. I love mine, but if you're using subs, consider the 12's very carefully.

Thought 1: Check they're all in stock
Thought 2: Make sure they're all in stock.
Thought3: Did I remember to recommend checking they're all in stock

Thanks for the heads up.

501damian501
12-02-2009, 03:36 PM
sounds interesting :cool:

their was a post on here acouple of weeks or months ago saying you should have your subs double the power of your tops, so the sound is balanced ? is this correct ?

Excalibur
12-02-2009, 03:50 PM
sounds interesting :cool:

their was a post on here acouple of weeks or months ago saying you should have your subs double the power of your tops, so the sound is balanced ? is this correct ?

As far as I know, it is.

Jay, in my humble opinion, that's not a good idea. The subs aren't big enough for that amp, you'd need the 18" instead, and I also think the sound will be too toppy. I'd recommend one pair subs and tops, and two amps like C-Mark 2450, or VLP 1500. Let us know what you decide/how you get on. :D

Edit: Or simply two pairs of 15" run full range with two amps. No crossover needed, spare amp and still plenty of bass I'd expect.

501damian501
12-02-2009, 04:02 PM
personally i,d use 15inch tops and couple up with subs at bigger places the 15s couldnt do, i know their bigger than 12s but 15s tend to have abit more bass to them. thats my 2ps worth lmao

bigger is not allways better peter...

par6
12-02-2009, 04:34 PM
15's are always something of compromise, they try to be all things to all men and it just doesn't work. For clear, concise vocals a 10" or 12" is as big as you want to go, for the bass frequencies it has to be a sub.
Full range 15" cabs, when pushing out the power, always sound muddy and undefined. Thats why the best selling PA speaker, the EV sx 300, uses 12" drivers and why Nexo use 8" and 10"............you have to have a sub ;)

markdj60
12-04-2009, 11:19 PM
i have got the class-d 158 15" and personally i havent found the bottom end that good so maybe am doing something wrong any ideas anyone?

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Buy different speakers :sj:

JAMdisco
13-04-2009, 12:49 PM
i have got the class-d 158 15" and personally i havent found the bottom end that good so maybe am doing something wrong any ideas anyone?

Not sure what you're doing but I find mine have plenty of bottom end, even on their own.
I mostly run them with subs which obviously improves the bottom end and recently have run the 15" subs with 158-1's with Peters crossover and WOW, what a difference that makes, awesome sound.

Don't listen to Daz, he doesn't know what he's on about :p :p :p [joke] :D :D :D

Excalibur
13-04-2009, 01:30 PM

Darren's as usual absolutely right. Predictable and not funny, but right. :p :D :D One of the reasons the 15SP's have so much bass is the physical size of the cab. I never boost the bass when running them fullrange, only ever cut it.
Personally I've not used the 158's but Justin has I think used them fullrange, so he seems happy.

PAR6, I agree entirely with your views, in the fullness of time, I might get a pair of 12's for that reason. It's just that my 15" cabs can cope with many venues on their own. I do pick'n'mix my cabs, rather than subs and tops every time.

CRAZY K
13-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Darren's as usual absolutely right. Predictable and not funny, but right. :p :D :D One of the reasons the 15SP's have so much bass is the physical size of the cab. I never boost the bass when running them fullrange, only ever cut it.
Personally I've not used the 158's but Justin has I think used them fullrange, so he seems happy.

PAR6, I agree entirely with your views, in the fullness of time, I might get a pair of 12's for that reason. It's just that my 15" cabs can cope with many venues on their own. I do pick'n'mix my cabs, rather than subs and tops every time.

Well there was a fair bit of "bass in my face" last Thursday listening to these speakers in Mansfield---the size is a slight downside but that may well be rectified by wind up speaker tripods and a heavy duty stair truck.

I now think a mix n match cabinet is a good idea---not least because I seem to be getting awkward venues where theres a lot of stairs and distances to carry equipment so two speakers rather than 4 cuts down load/ unload times--:D

I do like the tops and subs approach but there is the practical side of the business to consider as well.

I may well ask if its possible for a "listen" up in East Yorkshire

Even though I like the top and sub sound a practical approach is needed :D

CRAZY K

Corabar Steve
14-04-2009, 07:49 AM
This is from the person who gets bored with the Mackie / fried egg jokes.

Excalibur
14-04-2009, 08:04 AM

I bow down to the man who also noticed that, but actually had the fortitude to post it. :bowdown: :D :D

Well there was a fair bit of "bass in my face" last Thursday listening to these speakers in Mansfield---the size is a slight downside but that may well be rectified by wind up speaker tripods and a heavy duty stair truck.
I may well ask if its possible for a "listen" up in East Yorkshire

Even though I like the top and sub sound a practical approach is needed :D

CRAZY K

If you can get up to the Frozen North, you can hear any of the range with the greatest of pleasure. I'll even let you lift them onto the tripods. :D

My usual tripod setting has the base of these cabs about waist high, or just above. This brings the HF around head high, but doesn't need dangerous lifting of large cabs.

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-04-2009, 11:20 AM

But they happened on an hourly basis.

*Sense of humour required for moderator*

markdj60
14-04-2009, 07:21 PM
just for the record if 2 people are using the same speakers but different mixers they are gonna sound different ent they?

DeckstarDeluxe
14-04-2009, 07:30 PM
just for the record if 2 people are using the same speakers but different mixers they are gonna sound different ent they?

depends on audio cables used, amp, if your hitting the red on your mixer or amp and if your coming out of your mixer phono or xlr. XLR makes the world of difference :D

markdj60
14-04-2009, 08:38 PM
does xlr's really make that much difference?i use a behringer graphic as well but it still doesnt seem that loud.

Excalibur
14-04-2009, 09:19 PM

They are if one's using a Denon, and one's using a KAM. :( :( :( :(

sgldisco
31-07-2009, 06:02 PM
I currently own 2x cd 15 subs and 2x 158's.

I prefer to use top cabs only if I can get away with it, So what would you recommend me doing??

Either way, The 158's are going.

Will 12sp's be enough on there own for the average 100+ party and then I can couple them up with the cd15 bass bins for bigger functions?

Or should I buy the 15sp's with an option to couple up to the bass bins?

I was considering going active but if a speaker or amp drops out at the gig, Game over.
I always carry 2x C-Mark 2650 amps anyway, So problem covered.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Excalibur
31-07-2009, 07:08 PM
I currently own 2x cd 15 subs and 2x 158's.

I prefer to use top cabs only if I can get away with it, So what would you recommend me doing??

Either way, The 158's are going.

Will 12sp's be enough on there own for the average 100+ party and then I can couple them up with the cd15 bass bins for bigger functions?

Or should I buy the 15sp's with an option to couple up to the bass bins?

I was considering going active but if a speaker or amp drops out at the gig, Game over.
I always carry 2x C-Mark 2650 amps anyway, So problem covered.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

2650'seh? Big lads. :D I only have 2450's and equivalents. :o :( :(

It's a six and two threes, or a rock and a hard place question/answer.
Logically, I'd say get the rig for ther greatest amount of gigs you do. If subs are used once in a blue moon, 15" cabs. If it's anywhere near 50/50, then 12". I've not heard the 12" cabs, but I'd expect them to be struggling for real bass. 15's no problem at all.

Sorry if I've not been able to give a wholly cast iron answer, but since I've not heard the 12's I'm hampered.
Edit: Active crossover is well worth investing in. I've run these rigs A/B and the difference is amazing.

ppentertainments
31-07-2009, 08:32 PM

Simple answer - yes they will be fine. the 12sp with bass bins is my favourite setup at the moment. The 15sp are too big for my liking but good on their own. The 12sp will manage no problem on their own and to me sound like a 15" speaker with plenty of bass available also.

Excalibur
31-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Simple answer - yes they will be fine. the 12sp with bass bins is my favourite setup at the moment. The 15sp are too big for my liking but good on their own. The 12sp will manage no problem on their own and to me sound like a 15" speaker with plenty of bass available also.

The oracle speaks. ;) Thanks Chris. :D :D

"The 15sp are too big for my liking". Wuss. :p :D :D

My fave rig is 215's below CD15SP's. Now that's a Man's rig. :D :D

ppentertainments
31-07-2009, 09:04 PM
The oracle speaks. ;) Thanks Chris. :D :D

"The 15sp are too big for my liking". Wuss. :p :D :D

My fave rig is 215's below CD15SP's. Now that's a Man's rig. :D :D
WARNING - WILLY WAVING ALERT :D :D :D

Will have to sort out the photos but used a 'trial' rig of 215sp, 4 x cd15n, 2 x cd12sp and 2 x cd15sp once (and once only)

Setup one sunday lunchtime in a local club concert room to try out different combinations.

The main negative point about class-d is I have to say, they don't sound loud - loud enough but not loud. Even my skytec moulded 15" put them to shame for loudness.:D

Still waiting for news on the new amps.

SGLDISCO - Do not use the class-d poles between bass bin and top if using any of the sp range. The poles are rubbish and the tops too heavy for them IMO.

Excalibur
31-07-2009, 09:11 PM

Will have to sort out the photos but used a 'trial' rig of 215sp, 4 x cd15n, 2 x cd12sp and 2 x cd15sp once (and once only)

Setup one sunday lunchtime in a local club concert room to try out different combinations.

The main negative point about class-d is I have to say, they don't sound loud - loud enough but not loud. Even my skytec moulded 15" put them to shame for loudness.:D

SGLDISCO - Do not use the class-d poles between bass bin and top if using any of the sp range. The poles are rubbish and the tops too heavy for them IMO.

:agree: With all of that. And as for such Willy waving exercises, they're reprehensible. I'd never do anything like that. :sofa:

CRAZY K
01-08-2009, 11:28 AM
:D

Chris what do you think of the small CD 15N bass cabs--im thinking of using just one driven by the new Class D amp (when available) to boost the bass end when using a couple of Peavey pro 15s--do you think the lack of loudness mentioned is firstly caused by the 8 ohm impedance---waits for the SPL merchants to start posting ;)

I heard one at Excaliburs and it sounded ok,

CRAZY K

ppentertainments
01-08-2009, 12:02 PM
:D

Chris what do you think of the small CD 15N bass cabs--im thinking of using just one driven by the new Class D amp (when available) to boost the bass end when using a couple of Peavey pro 15s--do you think the lack of loudness mentioned is firstly caused by the 8 ohm impedance---waits for the SPL merchants to start posting ;)

I heard one at Excaliburs and it sounded ok,

CRAZY K

Side by side I can hear no difference between the larger and smaller class-d bass cabs. I have never used only one but would would think it would suffice. In all honesty when using the 12sp cabs I probably only need one. I prefer the smaller ones due to suffering from 'DJ bad back syndrome :D ', and the elastic sides on my garage are about up to their limit.

I don't know what the reason for the lack of loudness is. I done a kids party yesterday using only 2 12" tops connected to a 1300w amp. The amp gives out 2x390w at 8ohm. I had the amp turned right up and the mixer just below the 'redline'. This should have been too much for the cabs but they sounded great and coped no problem, yet still not as loud as other speakers ???

I don't properly understand SPL figures but the figures for the class-d is higher than others, even though the others sound louder. I think a lot could be the quality of the sound though. Others sound louder but the sound quality is poorer, and have yet to find another speaker in the same sort of 'range' that sounds as good.

CRAZY K
01-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Side by side I can hear no difference between the larger and smaller class-d bass cabs. I have never used only one but would would think it would suffice. In all honesty when using the 12sp cabs I probably only need one. I prefer the smaller ones due to suffering from 'DJ bad back syndrome :D ', and the elastic sides on my garage are about up to their limit.

I don't know what the reason for the lack of loudness is. I done a kids party yesterday using only 2 12" tops connected to a 1300w amp. The amp gives out 2x390w at 8ohm. I had the amp turned right up and the mixer just below the 'redline'. This should have been too much for the cabs but they sounded great and coped no problem, yet still not as loud as other speakers ???

I don't properly understand SPL figures but the figures for the class-d is higher than others, even though the others sound louder. I think a lot could be the quality of the sound though. Others sound louder but the sound quality is poorer, and have yet to find another speaker in the same sort of 'range' that sounds as good.

Thanks for that---a test in the Mansfield Warehouse will tell me all I need to know;)

CRAZY K