PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer HDJ 2000 headphones

Adam_F
23-01-2009, 04:45 PM
From taking them out of the box, feeling the cold metal of the magnesium design, they feel VERY sturdy, and worthy of sitting on the head of any superstar DJ. By using magnesium, they’ve kept the weight of the headphones down to a minimum, so they feel light on the head, meaning you can happliy wear them all night while DJing or in the studio. Adding to the comfort level, the earpads are made up from memory foam pads (a first for DJ headphones), and covered with a protein leather. This keeps the pads moulded to the shape of your head, and feels very comfortable due to the soft protein leather finish. The headophones are foldable, meaning they’re easy to squeeze into your gig bag, and the swivel cups have a strong magnesium “i-hinge” which swivel a full 90 degrees and snap back into place with a handy auto return feature.

Plugging them into a mixer, and hitting the cue button made me realise how much work Pioneer have put into these headphones. The sound quality is amazing, its as simple as that! From using the so-called “industry standard” Sennheiser HD 25s, which are renowned for their quality, these HDJ 2000s simply blow them away. The mids and highs stand out far better, which is down to Pioneers development team tuning the most used frequenced for production and DJing, meaning kick drums and hi-hats come sound as if they are live in your head. These have been sonically matched to perform perfectly with the Pioneer range of mixers, so if your a club DJ, your bound to find a DJM 600 or DJM 800 out and about on your travels, so why not have the perfect headphones to match? Their 50mm drivers produce stunning deep bass, and rich clarity to let you hear every aspect of your mix, coupling that with the ability to take 3,500 MW of input, means distortion is prevented, even at sustained loud volumes. The heavy duty build of these headphones ensures zero resonance.

Attention to detail has even gone as far as the connections. Pioneer have opted for a replaceable cable on these HDJ 2000s making it easy to replace if you happen to break it. Simply connecting to the cans with a mini XLR connection, and coming with the 3.5/6.3mm jack connections on the other end, to plug straight into a mixer, desk or even your MP3 player.

Overall, if your a professional DJ (club, pub or mobile), sound engineer or producer these headphones are for you, as they suit all kinds music and environments.
Expect to see these worn by all the top DJs before the year is out!

DeckstarDeluxe
13-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Hi adam very good review there. Im looking at buying some headphones as my current sub standard ones are nearing the end of their life. How would these compare to Denon DN-HP1000 if you have any experience of these?

nigelwright7557
13-02-2009, 08:42 PM
. The sound quality is amazing,

!

Whats the point ? the audience arent gonna hear them !

I use a very cheap pair that cost a few pounds at Maplin.

DeckstarDeluxe
13-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Whats the point ? the audience arent gonna hear them !

I use a very cheap pair that cost a few pounds at Maplin.

are you still talking about headphones or your speakers?

I for one wouldnt think twice about spending £100+ for a pair of headphones

nigelwright7557
13-02-2009, 08:48 PM
are you still talking about headphones or your speakers?

I for one wouldnt think twice about spending £100+ for a pair of headphones

Heaphones.

What a waste of money, would rather put the other £95 towards a decent light etc

Dynamic Entertainment
13-02-2009, 08:54 PM
And thats why a lot of djs have dodgy hearing. Its not too bad for you Nigel as you admit your not out every weekend but the folk that are appreciate headphones that don not distort and destroy your hearing in the process. Whilst these headphones may be a bit much for most mobile djs, club djs will appreciate the improved quality, whilst blocking out the noise from the main sound system. Theres nothing worse than trying to mix and having the main system blearing through with a 2 second delay!.

DeckstarDeluxe
13-02-2009, 08:55 PM
I have plenty of lights. I have my headphones on for most of the night be it resting on my neck or on my head so comfort is a bit important factor. Its gotta be able to take some limited abuse, last a couple of years and be of fantastic sound quality. Im fed up of rubbish headphones that ear cups break off easily or the wire becomes loose in either the ear cup or connector to the input of mixer so you loose sound in one or both cups. I didnt think twice about spending 500+ pounds on my mixer or over a grand on my two cd players why would i cheap out on some naff maplin headphones?

DeckstarDeluxe
13-02-2009, 08:56 PM
And thats why a lot of djs have dodgy hearing. Its not too bad for you Nigel as you admit your not out every weekend but the folk that are appreciate headphones that don not distort and destroy your hearing in the process. Whilst these headphones may be a bit much for most mobile djs, club djs will appreciate the improved quality, whilst blocking out the noise from the main sound system. Theres nothing worse than trying to mix and having the main system blearing through with a 2 second delay!.

Well said

Tom
13-02-2009, 08:56 PM
So you would rather have a poor mix in your headphones and have a better light???

I would rather have better headphones as for one, they will be used for every trackI intend to play. Much more worth while.

nigelwright7557
13-02-2009, 09:02 PM
So you would rather have a poor mix in your headphones and have a better light???

I would rather have better headphones as for one, they will be used for every trackI intend to play. Much more worth while.

To be honest I rarely use the headphones, the cd player does a pretty good job of cueing the music all on its own.

So a better light for me is the better option.

Dynamic Entertainment
13-02-2009, 09:09 PM
And that fair enough, you dont have a need for headphones to the extent of others, so why pay a fortune for them eh!

Tom
13-02-2009, 09:09 PM
To be honest I rarely use the headphones, the cd player does a pretty good job of cueing the music all on its own.

So a better light for me is the better option.

Each to there own.

On the Denon gear for example, has a feature called auto cue. This cuts out any blank space from the start of the track, so when you hit cue, it's right on the ball.

But I would still prefer to hear the track that I'm playing.

Dynamic Entertainment
13-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Especially if the track starts in extremely quiet or not on the first beat eh Tom! :D Ive been caught out with that on Denons.

Tom
13-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Especially if the track starts in extremely quiet or not on the first beat eh Tom! :D Ive been caught out with that on Denons.

Iv never had it missing a beat but some tracks do start off on the quiet side so you skip that part till the songs build up.

DeckstarDeluxe
13-02-2009, 09:20 PM
i never use the auto cue on my denons funny enough!
I prefer listening to the intro of tracks and deciding on best way to mix in the incoming tracks. Can give you the chance to do some mic work too knowing when the vocal kicks in.

DeckstarDeluxe
13-02-2009, 09:22 PM
anyways guy back on topic. these headphones anyone used them or the denons?

Dynamic Entertainment
13-02-2009, 09:25 PM
No, but when my 1000s die i will be getting them