PDA

View Full Version : Review - American DJ X-move

Tom
24-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Here is my review of the American DJ X-Move Moving head fixture.

So to start it off here is what I think of the light

Weight – 8/10
Style – 10/10
Light Output – 8/10
Ease Of Use – 7/10

Well for the money, they are rather good. I think this was the first LED moving head with a separate gobo and color wheel. The light has 8 colors + white and 8 gobos + spot. The unit is only 4.5kg and on draws 44 watts/2amps from the plug. Not bad for such a compact light.

When this light first came out, people compared the output of the x-move to a 250w halogen lamps. Well this is kind of true but only at a short distance. From what I have found out, the light is quite close in output at a short distance but anything over this then the halogen is brighter. For most mobile DJ work, this light is perfect. If you regularly DJ in large halls or need to project the beam over a large distance then this light may not be for you. I would wait for the new high power led lights or stay with halogen lamp fixtures.

Well thats no problem for me. When out DJ'ing I now start to get comments on how bright they lights are and people asking me to turn them down of turn them off. :eek:. When I get comments like this, I just speed up the movement of the lights via my Ryger controller but that will be another review.

I really like the design of the moving head. Looks the same as a halogen lamp fixtures, but a lot smaller and a lot lighter.

The built in shows are rather good. But to get the best out of these lights, you really need to get some kind of PC based dmx controller. It makes life so much easier. The lights are also sound active if you do not have a dmx controller

This is what the manual says about the built in light shows.

Show 1 – For fixtures placed on the floor, the tilt movement angle is 210 degrees
Show 2 – For fixtures placed to the ceiling or truss, the tile movement angle is 90 degrees
Show 3 – For fixtures placed on a table or stage. The beam is projected at the audience's direction; I.e. in front of the stage. Pan movement angle (left to right to left) is 160 degrees. Tilt movement is 90 degrees
Show 4 – For fixtures fixed to the ceiling. The beam is projected at the audience's direction; I.e. in front of the stage. Pan movement angle (left to right to left) is 160 degrees. Tilt movement is 90 degrees

If I can remember, when I used the built in shows, I used show 4. I do remember that the the shows did project the beam all over the venue compared to a scanner where mirror can only travel so far.

Just to let you know, you don't have to use the American DJ UC3 controller. If you have a Acme CA-8 controller, you can use this as well. It does the same thing. Just a different name.

The only issue with this light is hanging it on a truss or deck stand. You really do need g-clamps. I don't use any at the moment as I have a roadie to help me hang the lights up but when he decides to leave, hanging these up will be a right nightmare. So if you are looking in to getting these lights, get g-clamps. Will make hanging these lights a easy as pie.

If anyone has any questions regarding these lights then please feel free to ask a question below.

Grahame Case
24-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Tom, how much each roughly?

is it dip switches or LED screen?

Tom
24-01-2009, 02:39 PM
It had a LED screen with 4 buttons.

Menu, Enter, Up and Down.

Within this menu you can select everything from pan, tilt, led on or off, sound mode on or off, temperature test, self test and many more.

I got 4 for £1200 so £300 each.

djsteve10
24-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Great review,

Looking at getting a pair myself

Grahame Case
24-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Great review,

Looking at getting a pair myself

i'm looking at 4, always think multi axis fixtures like these look better in a set of 4

because you can delay the phasing/fan of patterns on most controllers and make them look pretty SCHWEET!

Adam_F
24-01-2009, 04:42 PM
I got 4 for £1200 so £300 each.

Price has gone up on these now, priced @ £329 each.

If a retailer still has stock, then you may be able to get a deal price or the old prices on them, but new stocks coming in will be at the more expensive price :mad:

discomobiledj
24-01-2009, 05:05 PM
£1,028 (four heads) - http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/prodpage.asp?prodid=2789

or

£585 (two heads) - http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/prodpage.asp?prodid=2788

or

£290 each - http://www.cdkm.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p3394.html

Grahame Case
27-01-2009, 06:37 PM
YouTube - American DJ Under the Hood: X-Series LED interesting!

SilverlineDiscos
27-01-2009, 06:54 PM
£300?? I found one for £250 with free delivery. See here (http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/prodpage.asp?prodid=2991).

...and by the way - I REALLY want a couple of those!!! :D

Grahame Case
27-01-2009, 06:57 PM
£300?? I found one for £250 with free delivery. See here (http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/prodpage.asp?prodid=2991).

...and by the way - I REALLY want a couple of those!!! :D

thats the XMove Laser there, the XMOVELED is different :)

SilverlineDiscos
27-01-2009, 06:58 PM
thats the XMove Laser there, the XMOVELED is different :)

So it is!! I'll keep quiet from now on... :D

Grahame Case
27-01-2009, 07:00 PM
So it is!! I'll keep quiet from now on... :D

easy enough mistake, i think the XMOVE laser is a bit opf a gimick, just like the moving head smoke machine.

Tom
27-01-2009, 07:04 PM
I have seen the laser and I'm not impressed with it. It's like a laser crab but in a moving head. It has a few more effects but its simple stuff.

Nothing special really.

SilverlineDiscos
27-01-2009, 07:06 PM
I know there is quite of a lot of gear that makes up moving head lights, but I really wish they weren't quite so expensive. I'd love a couple hanging on some trussing for example, but they do eat a big whole in your back pocket :(

Tom
27-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Moving heads around the £300 mark is quite cheap to be honest. You can spend thousands on moving heads but for a mobile dj, these dont really have a place. Unless you hire out gear then you could use them for high end gigs for example.

Jonny Boy
15-06-2009, 03:39 PM
I just bought a pair of x-moves (inc controller), used them for the first time Saturday night. NOICE.

Only a small room for this gig, but I have to say I'm very impressed and pleased with the purchase. Using again next week at a HUGE venue (long room rather than wide) so will see how they bear up over distance.

Would have been even better with a set of 4....but ££££££! :bang: Used in conjuntion with a Revo III, this was all the light I needed. Might just add 2x Javelins (stand alone) for fill-in on the walls etc for a larger venue

They were a big investment, but if I'm singing on a stage they are perfect for using as follow-spots. (Need to get a DMX controller with a joy-stick to make this easier : oh and a roadie!)

My only complaint is that the ADJ controller ("UC" something) would benefit from having an option to adjust the speed of the movement: even in the slower dances the movement was quite maniacal... the controller also seemed sluggish switching to strobe mode, but this is just me being picky.

Would another simple controller like a CA8 have an option to control the speed of movement - or is this just built into the X-move? (Or am I gonna have to buy and master a "proper" DMX controller? :eek: )

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Would another simple controller like a CA8 have an option to control the speed of movement - or is this just built into the X-move?

I don't think you can use the CA-8 with the X Moves. I use the CA-8 with my Isolution heads and you slow them right down, which is fantastic for a slow dance or at the beginning of the evening.

Dynamic Entertainment
15-06-2009, 06:57 PM
I don't think you can use the CA-8 with the X Moves. I use the CA-8 with my Isolution heads and you slow them right down, which is fantastic for a slow dance or at the beginning of the evening.

I think he means another style controller Daz (thats how i read it anyway :) ) which is just a small as the CA-8 (he cant seem to remember the name of ADJs version, and i cant either) only with a touch more functionality.

I think if the CA-8 slows the Isolutions down and adjs version doesnt with the x-moves, ive decided which ones im gonna invest in :) - at some point...

Tom
15-06-2009, 11:05 PM

Works fine with my x-move's but I don't use it as I use a Ryger foot controller either on its own or with Daslight.

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Works fine with my x-move's but I don't use it as I use a Ryger foot controller either on its own or with Daslight.

So you can use the CA-8 then? I'm sure Clive told me you couldn't?

Adam_F
15-06-2009, 11:44 PM
I thought the UC 3 & the CA 8 were identical for operation on either Acme or ADJ. Will have to have a play tomorrow if I get chance.

Excalibur
16-06-2009, 07:14 AM
I thought the UC 3 & the CA 8 were identical for operation on either Acme or ADJ. Will have to have a play tomorrow if I get chance.

I've had no success using a CA-8 in place of an UC-3. Course, I could have been doing it wrong.

Jonny Boy
16-06-2009, 09:31 AM
I've had no success using a CA-8 in place of an UC-3. Course, I could have been doing it wrong.

I doubt you could have got it wronog: I mean the UC-3 is simple enough even for ME to use! ;)

Thanks for posting this tho'....it's saved me an expensive experiment buying a CA-8 needleessly! :)

I think I'm gonna just have to take the plunge and buy a "proper" DMX controller - or even plump for an ADJ MyDMX..... lawdy I'm playin' wit da big boys now! :eek: